Critters and wildlife in your area - post your pics

I was out walking Remy and we came across this fish in the middle of the field. If Google is right lol, it’s a Spanish Mackerel. I live less than 2 miles from the ocean so I’m assuming it was carried by a bird and got dropped. IMG_1213.webpIMG_1214.webp
Don’t mind the crocs 😂 I wanted to get a comparison to show the size of it.
IMG_1216.webp
 
I was out walking Remy and we came across this fish in the middle of the field. If Google is right lol, it’s a Spanish Mackerel. I live less than 2 miles from the ocean so I’m assuming it was carried by a bird and got dropped. View attachment 146444View attachment 146445
Don’t mind the crocs 😂 I wanted to get a comparison to show the size of it.
View attachment 146446

We were walking the dogs the other day and saw a "pan fish" laying on the sidewalk???? We have a couple ponds in parks nearby but wildly unexpected! We also assumed a bird had lost it's meal!

They're coooooommmmmmiiiiiing! Haven't heard them yet but when we were on our evening walk yesterday, we started seeing them by the dozens (if not hundreds). Supposed to be the emergence of the 13 and 17 year cicadas. This tree did not look like this 24 hours ago.

 
They're coooooommmmmmiiiiiing! Haven't heard them yet but when we were on our evening walk yesterday, we started seeing them by the dozens (if not hundreds).
I haven't seen or heard them here yet, but when we were in Kentucky we heard them in a certain wooded area we passed! That was driving by ! I wonder what they sound like up close and personal! Yikes. I'm not looking forward to this. :bag:
 
A little tree frog visited us the other day on the back deck. I shooed him off before the dogs spotted him!
20240515_132925.jpg20240515_132914.jpg

And the Bluebird of Happiness came calling yesterday. Pretty bird!
20240518_162917.jpg

And I was outside without my phone for a picture of a Tufted Titmouse. He was adorable!! Tiny as my Wrens but with a head similar to a cardinal. Really cute!
 
I haven't seen or heard them here yet, but when we were in Kentucky we heard them in a certain wooded area we passed! That was driving by ! I wonder what they sound like up close and personal! Yikes. I'm not looking forward to this. :bag:

We just started hearing them yesterday! Certainly not remotely full blow but they're testing themselves out. The emergence is really ramping up, too!

This is around just one tree on our parkway. It does seem like a lot of them are coming out of the ground and not making it to the next step, for some reason, though. These are mostly empty "shells" but there are tons on the sidewalk that are still gooey and not moving. I guess you can see a few that are on the ground near the base of the tree that came up but then kinda just kapoot.

PXL_20240519_174713989.webp
 
Wow I've never experienced them but we're probably too far north. I heard someone (forget where) was calling 911 to file a noise complaint. :confused-alt:
Hmm........that interesting that you don't have them. I wonder what does their job where you are? I guess people are swarming stores for insecticides to kill them. The news is doing stories telling folks to leave them alone. The only damage they do is to young trees or unhealthy trees which can die from the females laying eggs. They are harmless to most things but can scare the crap out of you when they fly into you. Especially if they get caught in your hair. Think of a large, loud June bug. :woot2:
 
Oh I thought it was from eating the young trees! What do these things eat?
Above ground they do feed on plant juices but cause little damage. They come up to mate and then die. Before the females die, they lay eggs in trees by cutting little slits and depositing the eggs in trees. The eggs hatch about 6 weeks later and fall out of the tree to the ground where the cycle starts all over again.
The other problem is all those adults die, males after mating and females after laying eggs. Left behind are tons of bodies that decay. Talk about stink! The last big emergence we were out with scoop shovels getting out!
 
The other problem is all those adults die, males after mating and females after laying eggs. Left behind are tons of bodies that decay. Talk about stink! The last big emergence we were out with scoop shovels getting out!
Ugh!!! Ya know, my husband and I were talking about the last Invasion and neither one of us can remember it being so bad. I'll be going out to feed the horses this morning and looking at some of the trees to see what I could find. Because so far I haven't seen a thing. At least not like the dozens climbing over @LifeofRubie trees! That's gross! 😝 😆
 

Back
Top