Critters and wildlife in your area - post your pics

I don't know if I've ever heard it as big buck country. But that may only be known to the hunters. LOL. I can't say that I've seen them all the time. Like I said, it's been awhile since I've seen any at all, at least walking through my property. And yeah you would think they would be in a cornfield all the time but I don't see that very often. I used to think the same thing. That they be in there just munching on everything. Unless I just can't see them. Once the corn gets high you can't see anything. Plus they usually stick to the wooded areas. When they cross behind our pasture they usually make a beeline for the trees. But I also have seen them back there grazing on our grass. They are a lot more skittish here it seems then some places other members have posted. Like @Oh Little Oji shows them getting fairly close. I don't think I would ever be able to do that here.
It's bizarre to me around here in our neighborhoods. Deer are so common it's not at all special anymore. Far from it, it's annoying! The'll lay around in front yards. The'll saunter along in streets and on sidewalks.

The bull snakes I see around here usually have more uniform coloration. That one's cool with the darker ends

The bull snakes I see around here usually have more uniform coloration. That one's cool with the darker ends
You know I was a little amazed at his different shades of color too. Most of them are more uniform like you say. That one was a little interesting to say the least.

AZ is alive right now, lol.
Not my pics, a family in Havasu took these.
Not intimidated by people taking pics.
Not interested in the rabbit in the street.
91A864F1-9512-412D-9C8F-09C2D7B7E6E6.jpegE49B6971-CEB4-4204-91F6-3A04EFA64634.jpegFCFE0074-4564-4580-8CDC-E6475F064D66.jpeg

Bobcats are usually some sly critters, and usually hard to get photos of.
We have them here, my neighbors bird bath is (was) a frequent nightly stop for them.
He’s a union iron worker. Not a small or easily intimidated man😂
A couple of random mornings at 4am he wasn’t sure who was more scared?
Him or the two bobcats in his birdbath he just startled 😂
He doesn’t put water in the bath anymore, lol.

Anyone else hearing of, or seeing, this in their area? We have found one bird quite sick, then dead; and we've observed a couple others that were probably sick.

Below, I'm simply pasting in what I saw that someone else had written:

"Per the Ohio Department of Natural Resources website: “Recently, it has been observed that songbirds in Ohio are being affected by a disease. The primary species affected at this time are blue jays, common grackles, European starlings, American robins, and house sparrows. Ohio counties experiencing the bulk of the outbreak so far include Brown, Butler, Clark, Clermont, Delaware, Franklin, Greene, Hamilton, Montgomery, and Warren counties."

"No definitive cause(s) of illness or death have been determined at this time. We advise that people please stop feeding birds, and take down and clean bird feeders and birdbaths with 10% bleach solution, particularly if they are seeing sick/dead birds in their area (as recommended by USGSThis link will open in a new window). Doing these things can help slow the spread of the disease.” "

I've been hearing of this for weeks. Sad.

Today I heard someone posit that perhaps all the Cicadas that we had during the "Brood X" invasion had absorbed or ingested herbicides underground before emerging, then the birds who ate the Cicadas got sick. I really don't know, but that sounds at least plausible.

Anyone else hearing of, or seeing, this in their area? We have found one bird quite sick, then dead; and we've observed a couple others that were probably sick.
I haven't seen any sick or dead birds here. Nor have I heard about any disease. I have heard "talk" that the 5G may be killing them. 🤷‍♀️

Tonight I was watering my flowers when a hummingbird came by! I quietly took out my phone and video taped him flying in and out of the water from the hose! It was amazing! I didn't know that they would do that. He flew right into the stream and stayed there, drinking! I was mesmerized! Then, as I watched, he came over to a shepherd's hook right in front of me and landed! He looked at me for about two seconds and realized that I was real and took off! lol. It was really so cool! Here are just video captures and GIFs.

20210707_162445_1_2.gif

20210707_162445_1_1.gif

VideoCapture_20210707-211640.jpg
VideoCapture_20210707-211617.jpgVideoCapture_20210707-211542.jpgVideoCapture_20210707-211559.jpg

Below, I'm simply pasting in what I saw that someone else had written:

"Per the Ohio Department of Natural Resources website: “Recently, it has been observed that songbirds in Ohio are being affected by a disease. The primary species affected at this time are blue jays, common grackles, European starlings, American robins, and house sparrows. Ohio counties experiencing the bulk of the outbreak so far include Brown, Butler, Clark, Clermont, Delaware, Franklin, Greene, Hamilton, Montgomery, and Warren counties."

"No definitive cause(s) of illness or death have been determined at this time. We advise that people please stop feeding birds, and take down and clean bird feeders and birdbaths with 10% bleach solution, particularly if they are seeing sick/dead birds in their area (as recommended by USGSThis link will open in a new window). Doing these things can help slow the spread of the disease.” "

I've been hearing of this for weeks. Sad.

Today I heard someone posit that perhaps all the Cicadas that we had during the "Brood X" invasion had absorbed or ingested herbicides underground before emerging, then the birds who ate the Cicadas got sick. I really don't know, but that sounds at least plausible.

Yes, we have had many notices here in Indiana to take all bird feeders and baths and put them away because of song birds dying to something.

Screenshot_20210707-232947.png

Screenshot_20210707-233032.png

Well, I wish I got a better glimpse tonight! We were out in the barn getting the horses in for the night and Kali was out with me. My husband went to dump a bucket of water outside when he spotted what he thought were two foxes! He yelled to me, "Foxes!"
I looked out the barn door to see these two guys running toward the back of the property. Of course my first instinct was, where's Kali? So after that quick glimpse I looked back inside the barn and yelled for Kali. When she came out of the tack room I knew she was okay and inside the barn but by that time the two had disappeared. My husband told me they were two foxes. I said, are you sure? I've never seen a fox here before. Not that that means anything lol but a short glimpse of them looked more like the color of a coyote. More of that tan color, but they did look small and young. My husband thought they were fox because they were too small to be a coyote. Unless they were two young ones. So are foxes always that reddish color and bushy? I wish I would have seen them better but Kali whereabouts is always my first concern.

So are foxes always that reddish color and bushy?
No they can be mixed red and black like many of ours are, silver or grey or solid black. They're normally bushy and in full coat this time of year. Red is the predominant color though. This is a blackish one.
Fox dark 2 May 10 08.jpg

This is a red one.

Fox head on in snow mouth open Apr 5 16.JPG

Well I only had a glimpse of them but they didn't look like either one of those. Maybe they were coyotes. Young ones Maybe? I don't know why he thought they were a fox except for their size.

We have a kazillion hostas and they are all blooming right now. Our hummingbirds love them. This is just along our barn.

20210714_102101_1.gif
There are a ton more out front. Any given time you will see a hummingbird enjoying the fruits of the flowers.
20210716_082350.jpg

Nothing exciting- but every time we cut the grass I pick up dog poop and as I walk sometimes toads jump up. I pick them up and put them in the bushed so they aren’t ran over by the mower.

43091B82-844D-43EA-864D-361F4C0BFE99.jpegA9DCC219-A240-4E7E-9CAE-131CE70BE621.jpeg94B9CE56-00D5-4487-B9DE-586DE04FE4FE.jpeg

Back