Critters and wildlife in your area - post your pics

Bedja got stung by a bee on the bike path today. Sorry I don't have a pic. There are an incredible amount of chipmunks running around and he chases them like a mad hat. After a couple of fruitless attempts just when the last chipmunk fled into his ground hole Bedja started to act funny running in sideways circles almost sitting down at the same time. I'm sure he thought the chipmunk bit him lol, because he didn't show interest in them the rest of the morning.

How many times have you said something either to yourself or someone else like, we haven't had rain for a long time. And then it pours the next day. Or... My face hasn't broken out in ages. And the next day you've got a zit on your face.:spit:

Or like me, just yesterday I was telling my husband, I haven't seen a deer in ages! I don't remember the last time I saw a deer. It may have been a year ago. And then this happens at 8am this morning...

20201025_073945.jpg

20201025_073953.jpg
I couldn't believe it! And Kali was outside going potty. :wideyed: That row of bushes around our mulched flower area was a good smoke screen. But if she would have gone around the outside of them, she would have seen her. I didn't have a e collar on her and she may have taken off after her. I'm sure she would have lost her, but still. Whew!

I asked my husband, didn't I just say yesterday that I haven't seen a deer in a long time???:scratch:

How many times have you said something either to yourself or someone else like, we haven't had rain for a long time. And then it pours the next day. Or... My face hasn't broken out in ages. And the next day you've got a zit on your face.:spit:

Or like me, just yesterday I was telling my husband, I haven't seen a deer in ages! I don't remember the last time I saw a deer. It may have been a year ago. And then this happens at 8am this morning...

I couldn't believe it! And Kali was outside going potty. :wideyed: That row of bushes around our mulched flower area was a good smoke screen. But if she would have gone around the outside of them, she would have seen her. I didn't have a e collar on her and she may have taken off after her. I'm sure she would have lost her, but still. Whew!

I asked my husband, didn't I just say yesterday that I haven't seen a deer in a long time???:scratch:
Proof that "What you think of...becomes reality..." ....at least some of the time.
If only (I) could decide what to be thinking of all of the time.:rolleyes: Especially when I'm thinking of what I don't want hehe.

Proof that "What you think of...becomes reality..." ....at least some of the time.
If only (I) could decide what to be thinking of all of the time.:rolleyes: Especially when I'm thinking of what I don't want hehe.
Also proof that thinking positive works! :thumbsup2:

Saturday morning I was out in the barn getting the horses fed. Kali and I were in the tack room where I was dishing out the grain and Kali was doing her usual hunting. I always keep an eye on her and, as with all my animals, I watch body language.

Well, she was doing this....
20201024_072515.jpg

and this...
20201024_072518.jpg
So I followed the nose and found this...
20201024_072521.jpg

20201024_072603.jpg

On my saddle rack, on top of a saddle pad and under my bareback pad! I thought to look there from her 'language' and when I lifted the bareback pad, there he was. Deader than a doornail and starting to stink!!! :green::green:

Good girl, Kali!

This, right outside my fence. I don't have a Turkey hunt license, but boy if I did...
We've been seeing them in our yard too, mostly in the spring. That's only been happening for a few years now so we want them to reproduce for a while, then check into hunting regulations for them here. Wild turkey is gooood...

Yesterday the dogs and I were out early feeding the horses. As I brought the horses out, they each were looking toward the back of the property. I always read body language. And that usually means they see something! I looked and looked but couldn't see a thing. It's pretty far to the back of the property from the Corral but not seeing anything, I ignored it and went about my business.

After I was finished with the horses, I was about ready to take a walk with the dogs when I spotted this.

20201028_074906.jpg

20201028_074911.jpg

20201028_074912.jpg

20201028_074915.jpg

They were just coming across the back of our property when I saw them. Below, they were coming towards us and crossing my riding area. That's when the dogs saw them!! And the deer saw us!
VideoCapture_20201028-081858.jpg
The dogs both took off running with me :sonic::pullhair: behind them!! Buddy was the first to stop. At 12 1/2 years old, he is finally slowing down. :down: He'd never catch them. Kali seemed to stop when he did. The deer all turned and high tailed it (literally! lol) to the back again and onto the next property as the dogs watched.
VideoCapture_20201028-082056.jpg

20201028_074920_1.gif

a couple of my friends and I have been meeting up to go on hikes together since all this Covid stuff started. After our hike this weekend, we'll be at 35 miles hiked!

On our last adventure, we came across this young deer. There were actually quite a few people around but she didn't really seem bothered by the activity and I was glad to see no one tried to go right up to her

We walked right past her, probably within 10 feet of her and she didn't even bat an eye. These suburban creatures!

PXL_20201003_162152945.MP.jpg

Hubby was out cleaning up around a wood stack today when he heard a popping sound in under the tarp on the wood pile. Picked up the tarp and found this cute little guy trying to snooze. They'll pop their teeth at you if they feel threatened.
Porcupine on wood pile under tarp Oct 5 20.JPG

Hubby was out cleaning up around a wood stack today when he heard a popping sound in under the tarp on the wood pile. Picked up the tarp and found this cute little guy trying to snooze. They'll pop their teeth at you if they feel threatened.
View attachment 113585
Don't let Albert by him! lol Wasn't it him who got needles in his face twice?

Don't let Albert by him! lol Wasn't it him who got needles in his face twice?
I think it was just once and he was pretty shook up about it so I'm hoping he learned his lesson that time. I bet you're thinking about Atticus getting quilled here the second time.

This time of year we get flocks of blackbirds and Starlings and sometimes the sight is just unbelievable. Hundreds and hundreds of them flying through the air Landing in the trees and landing on the ground. I swear this is how they filmed the movie The Birds. The first video was when I first saw them coming out for our property. I knew that Kali would have a good time chasing them! She'd never catch them but it was quite a sight to see her send hundreds of birds up into the air!

Listen for the flutter of hundreds of wings as she chases them off the property!

This one's a little long but it was just incredible to see that many birds! There were thousands!

What fun Kali is having! And do all those starlings and blackbirds nest near you? I came from a cooler southern state of Australia and we had both, and they were a total nuisance with trying to get into your roof to nest. Even had to check the tractor exhaust pipe every time you needed to start it in case a nest had been built in there.

What fun Kali is having! And do all those starlings and blackbirds nest near you? I came from a cooler southern state of Australia and we had both, and they were a total nuisance with trying to get into your roof to nest. Even had to check the tractor exhaust pipe every time you needed to start it in case a nest had been built in there.
I don't know where they nest, to tell the truth. They just come by here in droves in the Fall and move on as far as I know. In the winter we really don't see a lot of birds. They are here. There's the usual Cardinals, blue jays, nuthatch, chickadee and wood peckers at my suet. But you won't hear all the sounds like we do in the summer. I always notice that first warm day when they're all chattering! It's what I know spring has arrived.:thumbsup:

Back