Critters and wildlife in your area - post your pics

Our daughters and I took a mini hike in a wooded area we are fortunate enough to have very near our house. Nobody uses it but us. The discarded beer cans there look years old – some are pull-tab.

Today this young, rather fearless deer said a mellow hello to the predator and us. In the 2nd pic, no, Oji is not looking away in submission. He was just that frozen in stalk mode, and he sometimes gives a sort of obtuse gaze toward prey.

GBdeerEncounter.webp GBdeerEncounter2.webp
 
Our daughters and I took a mini hike in a wooded area we are fortunate enough to have very near our house. Nobody uses it but us. The discarded beer cans there look years old – some are pull-tab.

Today this young, rather fearless deer said a mellow hello to the predator and us. In the 2nd pic, no, Oji is not looking away in submission. He was just that frozen in stalk mode, and he sometimes gives a sort of obtuse gaze toward prey.

View attachment 107410 View attachment 107411
How wonderful! Oji does look a bit like he's on a hair trigger though. VERY good control! :thumbsup:
 
Not as exciting as your deer, but last night my husband was digging in the soil when he said, Oh, lookie here! And he kind of tossed something my way. This guy must have been in the soil. Probably too cold for him yet.

First I ran into the house to get my phone. Never fails. Everytime I don't bring my phone with me, I want to take a picture! :facepalm: I called Kali to come with me and I thought she followed my golf cart. But when I went inside, grabbed my phone, and came out, this is what I saw. I laughed out loud because both dogs were still out there with my husband but looking my way like, "you coming back right? cuz we're not coming in." :whistle:

20200420_185529.webp

He was pretty slow moving.
20200420_185643.webp
20200420_185655.webp
When I put him down on the ground, he slowly dug his head into the ground. By the time I left he was still in that position. I hope he made it underground to keep warm because it was a little chilly overnight.
20200420_190521.webp

Both dogs were curious. But Kali much more so. My little Hunter! She wanted to go right up to him. But I was afraid she was going to grab 'em!

20200420_190157.webp 20200420_190117.webp
 
Not as exciting as your deer, but last night my husband was digging in the soil when he said, Oh, lookie here! And he kind of tossed something my way. This guy must have been in the soil. Probably too cold for him yet.

First I ran into the house to get my phone. Never fails. Everytime I don't bring my phone with me, I want to take a picture! :facepalm: I called Kali to come with me and I thought she followed my golf cart. But when I went inside, grabbed my phone, and came out, this is what I saw. I laughed out loud because both dogs were still out there with my husband but looking my way like, "you coming back right? cuz we're not coming in." :whistle:

View attachment 107434

He was pretty slow moving.
View attachment 107433
View attachment 107432
When I put him down on the ground, he slowly dug his head into the ground. By the time I left he was still in that position. I hope he made it underground to keep warm because it was a little chilly overnight.
View attachment 107429

Both dogs were curious. But Kali much more so. My little Hunter! She wanted to go right up to him. But I was afraid she was going to grab 'em!

View attachment 107430 View attachment 107431

Cool!! Don't think I've seen any lizards here. It looks like a six lined race runner. Apparently they can run up to 18mph and are really hard to catch but its cold so what a neat opportunity. I'm sure Kali would love to test those speeds out haha.
 
Cool!! Don't think I've seen any lizards here. It looks like a six lined race runner. Apparently they can run up to 18mph and are really hard to catch but its cold so what a neat opportunity. I'm sure Kali would love to test those speeds out haha.
Both Kali and Buddy have chased lizards in and around the bushes and plants in the gardens! Jumping in the air and over plants. They are so fast!!! (The lizards!) Its comical! I've posted vids on it in the video thread!

Thats a great catch of an awesome eagle, @JanS !!

I was watching a redtail hawk today through binoculars. He was so beautiful!
 
Wingbone call. You can make a turkey call from the wingbones of a turkey. It's amazing some Indian figured that out
 

Attachments

  • KIMG0174.webp
    KIMG0174.webp
    115.9 KB · Views: 11

Back
Top