Critters and wildlife in your area - post your pics

I've been trying to get a pic of the Brolgas who are doing all their mating dances, but every time I take the camera they are elsewhere! I did see a Wedgetail Eagle this morning, near that nest I found. The first one I've seen anywhere near it. Of course I didn't have that camera. :sour: It would have made a good picture as it swooped low over Jazz to check her out, and then she bounced after him a bit as if he was the worlds biggest Butcher Bird! (They won't tackle a fit and well predator as big as Jazz, but look out any little dogs!)
I did manage to get a shot of the Big Daddy roo with his family last night. They are really enjoying some green pick! He looks much bigger when he is stood right up with attitude!anim0204x2.webp
 
I've been trying to get a pic of the Brolgas who are doing all their mating dances, but every time I take the camera they are elsewhere! I did see a Wedgetail Eagle this morning, near that nest I found. The first one I've seen anywhere near it. Of course I didn't have that camera. :sour: It would have made a good picture as it swooped low over Jazz to check her out, and then she bounced after him a bit as if he was the worlds biggest Butcher Bird! (They won't tackle a fit and well predator as big as Jazz, but look out any little dogs!)
I did manage to get a shot of the Big Daddy roo with his family last night. They are really enjoying some green pick! He looks much bigger when he is stood right up with attitude!View attachment 104662
Holy Moly.
Couldn’t fathom my dogs around those?!:D
Every so often we get an experience with a possum or a raccoon, perhaps a rat or someone’s house cat.
A roo looks like a very formidable foe, either running/chasing or if the roo decides to stand ground.
Sheesh:D
 
Yesterday while driving into town I caught a glimpse of some kind of a hawk on the side of the road. I was just barely quick enough to get a little shot of him. I made a GIF from the short video and then did a screenshot of the video too. Watching the video you would have never saw the bird! It was so quick.

20200122_110013_1_1.webp VideoCapture_20200123-054318.webp
 
Yesterday afternoon I happened to lookout and see what I think is a Kestrel hawk right by the bird feeders. He was there for a long time. Then a little bird flew into the bush next to him and he went after him! Didn't get them though. But I figured that's what he was after. The place had cleared out while he was sitting here. :biggrin:

Pics and GIFS
20200123_154749_1.webp
20200123_155435_2.webp
20200123_155435_1.webp
VideoCapture_20200123-185117.webp
Later, about 5pm, the dogs alerted me to these two!
20200123_165514_1.webp
20200123_165514_2.webp
VideoCapture_20200123-183610.webp
VideoCapture_20200123-183534.webp
VideoCapture_20200123-183022.webp
 
^^^^^^ What an opportunist that Kestrel is! Blatant about it too! :sour:

Yesterday evening I finally managed to get some shots of those Brolgas doing their mating dance. Not great shots as it was low light and full zoom. Also it's hard to get near enough without disturbing them when you have a large, black predator with you! anim0207x2.webp anim0208x2.webp anim0209x2.webp anim0210x2.webp
 
The past few weeks, in the mornings when I take the dogs out I kept hearing an owl, but could never figure out where the heck he was............until this morning.... it was still quite dark, but I got him! He looks big, but he was only about 10-12"

View attachment 104702

That's so cool!! Screech Owl, you think? We had Rubie out for a walk several years back in our old neighborhood and there was a Great Horned Owl sitting perfectly on top of a tree with his silhouette lit up by the moon. We just stood their like nerds and watched him for about 5 minutes. We hear them a lot camping but rarely ever see them.

Still no super cool creatures but the camera caught these two last night about 2 hours apart. I'm sure the increased activity has something to do with the cold and snow on the ground; creatures just need to work harder to find a meal!

 
The past few weeks, in the mornings when I take the dogs out I kept hearing an owl, but could never figure out where the heck he was............until this morning.... it was still quite dark, but I got him! He looks big, but he was only about 10-12"
I love him!! I would LOVE to see an owl here. We hear them but still haven't spotted them. *pout*
 
Hubby has been snow shoeing miles every day and they're logging again behind our property. Hubby talked to one of the loggers last week and he said he's never seen so many bobcats in this area and they're all following hubby's snow shoe trails. I told him to bring a trail camera or two out there to try to catch a few pics so hopefully I'll have some to post before the winter is over.
 
That took some finding on the original pic! Coyotes? They look about the same size as our Dingos, and just about as sneaky by the look of things!
 
That took some finding on the original pic! Coyotes? They look about the same size as our Dingos, and just about as sneaky by the look of things!
Yeah right?
They blend in very well. It’s why they are still around!
 
I couldn't even find them in the original pic! LOL and I still don't see two. They're very small. Is it a coyote?
 

Back
Top