Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Critters and wildlife in your area - post your pics

Discussion in 'The Pet Post (Non Doberman)' started by Oh Little Oji, Jul 30, 2016.

1. jazzies mum

jazzies mum Notable member

That really is a beautiful fox. Love the full brush! I suppose they are a nuisance like they are here, but I've always liked them!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. MyBuddy

MyBuddy Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Looking out the window this morning and I saw two cardinals building a nest right here in my little dwarf lilac tree. I think they've been back there for a few years now.
    20190421_072501.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  3. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

This is one of those hidden object photos for me since I can't see it at all unless you point it out. LOL

LOR the fox are always right up next to the house here too and they drive me insane since they drive the dogs insane. They're definitely bold little creatures.
    I'm sure you remember this one I posted last year.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
    • Wow x 2
  4. jazzies mum

Me neither, thought it was just because we don't have cardinals, or is it a nest I'm looking for?

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Tropicalbri's

Tropicalbri's $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Is this it?
    A2772C7F-962D-484A-ACC7-7AEEA5A48E00.jpeg

6. MyBuddy

Sorry, I was just posting the picture to show which tree they were building a nest in and how close it was to the house. :bag: It's right out the window of my sunroom. When it gets a little lighter out I will see if I can get picture inside the tree. I don't want to disturb them too much. I think Kitty corner to your left is a darker shadow that might be either where the nest is or where the bird was standing in the bush.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. jazzies mum

Gave us all something to puzzle about for a while anyway!!! :rofl:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. Tropicalbri's

3976B91F-40B5-4689-80F4-A9177EB7961E.jpeg

• Wow x 5
  9. MyBuddy

Something a little tamer in my backyard. :)

20190429_114242.jpg

20190429_114240.jpg

• Like Like x 4
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 2
  10. Tropicalbri's

11. MyBuddy

Yes. :)

This probably belongs here. LOL

I was out with the dogs when I saw something that 'didn't belong.' Every time I look out in my property I can always tell when something is 'off.'

Even from far away, this didn't look right but I couldn't make out what it was. It seems so odd. Sitting on the fence post. And not moving. Was it something dead? I had to go take a look. :glasses:

20190429_123650.jpg

20190429_123707.jpg

20190429_123718.jpg

20190429_123725.jpg

:rofl: My husband probably put that there. We were mowing the back property yesterday and he probably picked it out of the grass. From far away I thought maybe it was a dead mole that he put up there. I had to get really close before I realize what the heck it was. The angle that I was looking at it from really made it look like something other than that! LOL

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Wow x 1
  12. JanS

I'll try not to swear ;) but those damn birds gulp down suet faster they can get it in their mouth. I absolutely loath them when they come in such big flocks and chase the other birds away and clean our big suet feeder out in a day.

Hubby finally caught some photos of one of the wild turkeys in our yard today. This one was pretty close to the house. Like I said somewhere else, I've lived in this immediate area all of my life and I've never seen any on our property before.
    Turkey in yard closer snowing April 29 19.JPG

• Like Like x 5
    • Wow x 1
  13. jazzies mum

Beautiful, both the bird and the daffodils!

• Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  14. MyBuddy

I thought of you Sunday when we were over by our son's house and there was a turkey walking around there too! They are not unusual around here but I have not seen one directly on my property either.

Looks like snow!! :bag:

• Like Like x 1
  15. Lizbeli

Lizbeli $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber

Some of you have some really cool visitors! All I can take photos of are geese, ducks, and my neighbors cat XD

Seriously though - @MyBuddy you have such lovely scenery.

• Like Like x 1
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  16. Atingles10

Atingles10 Member

We went for a 3 mile hike the other day and came across a few turkeys and a porcupine! Thankfully we spotted the porcupine before our boy, who was off leash at the time, did. received_2744522888923542.jpeg

• Wow x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  17. JanS

I had to stop and wait for some turkeys to cross the road when I was on the way back to work from my split yesterday.
    Turkeys walking off road Apr 30 19.JPG

If you look close you can see 3 of them here.
    Three turkeys by road Apr 30 19.JPG

A little closer view.
    Pair of turkeys by road closer Apr 30 19.JPG

We have a ton of porcupines here too and Albert did have to have 1 ER visit when he got quilled after hours but I'm really hoping he learned his lesson that time. Our Boxer did it time after time and it always had to be either on a weekend or before bed...

• Empathetic Empathetic x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  18. Gelcoater

Gelcoater Expert ThreadCrapper $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber

Where do they normally live from your area? South? North?
    It’s interesting to read stuff like this.
    I’ve probably mentioned it here before but my friend in Colorado (who’s lived there some 30ish years now) and in the same general area, is seeing more and more moose.
    They used to be something they just didn’t see in that area.
    To a rare glimpsnow and again to now just yup, moose live here now. :rolleyes:Lol.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Gelcoater

Gelcoater Expert ThreadCrapper $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber

And I suppose this belongs here.
    I heard on NPR today there was a case here in California where a judge judged that the gray wolf shouldn’t be removed from the endangered species list.

In a rare instance I agree with the ruling of a California judge, lol.
    Their numbers aren’t strong in this state like they are in others, there were fewer than 20 or so a couple decades ago.
    They are slowly migrating in from southern Oregon.

I know they present a challenge to ranchers, but their existence is vital to the eco system. Studies have proved so in other areas.
    Ranchers will need to be vigilant, and should probably invest in several dogs bred for the duty they face.

• Like Like x 1
  20. JanS

Both turkeys and blue jays are normally to our south but the damn blue jays fly back north in the spring and annoy the hell out of me. Last year we were blessed and I saw most of the big flock of blue jays flying farther north so it was a pretty peaceful summer for a change.

• Like Like x 2