Critters and wildlife in your area - post your pics

A funny anecdote on the Golden Eagle
Yes, grip strength is not the same as weight lifting! I think there were some fake AI videos of eagles carrying goats or something a few years ago.

I've had to argue with people on the chicken forums (not ours, the Big chicken forum) who insisted that hawks would carry away chickens. Even large hawks can't lift 4 or 5 lbs, much less fly away with it. And then they tried to tell me ravens would do the same. But the largest ravens not only weigh less than an average size chicken, they also don't have the talons for killing & carrying, they aren't raptors. They use their beaks to carry stuff and are mainly scavengers and thieves. Eggs & newborn chicks, yes. Full grown chickens, uh, no.
 
I love that app, too!
Whats interesting is how you can play back the recorded calls submitted by other users.
And how the various calls differ so much...

The Great Horned sounds almost like a dove with its soft "hoot hoot"...but there is another that is the female call...much different...
Yes it's a fun app! And very informative!

And interestingly enough, the next morning when I went out with the dogs I thought I heard a, hoot hoot. 😳 It was early and still dark. First thing I thought of was that owl and I feared that he may be close. I didn't take my eyes off Kali or go very far from her! I do often worry about her and wild animals.
He's a great photographer so I swiped on of his photos since he has them set to public.
He's gorgeous!!
Yes, grip strength is not the same as weight lifting! I think there were some fake AI videos of eagles carrying goats or something a few years ago
Yes I do remember something many years ago showing some kind of large hawk or eagle taking off with a small child! I was horrified until I found out it was fake. :tap: I think that was one of my first experiences with AI! LOL

But I still do worry about Kali with Hawks and such. Even if they can't lift her very far, the grip alone would kill her.
 
Wow!! I just saw my first fox! On my property! It's 7:30 a.m. and I was sitting having a coffee in the breakfast room when Annie started barking out the front window. I ignored it because it could have been anything. But then I saw it run down the driveway toward our barns!


Annnnnd.....

Just as I was writing this he ran back again from the barn area down the driveway toward the front again! And then just sat there! Of course I'm on my phone so I quickly went to my camera and got some god-awful pictures but pictures ! LOL (the sun was not in a good place for pictures! ) and then I went to video and get a couple of screenshots off of that along with a GIF.
VideoCapture_20260101-074657.webpVideoCapture_20260101-074623.webp20260101_074025_1.webp20260101_074018.webp20260101_074019.webp


Then he ran off to the front of the property with Annie running through the house to catch him! 😁
VideoCapture_20260101-074919.webp


So I was pretty excited! This is the first Fox I've seen on our property and really only the second that I've actually seen in person. Living out here for 23 years! Only one other time I was driving to a friend's house and saw fox running through the field. I thought he was adorable and bigger than I thought he would be. And I've always loved that kind of face. Just like my Pomeranians that I used to have! They always had a little fox face. So adorable.
 
I have been working on planting up a nice bird garden so I don't have to put out feeders.
I will probably always have at least one close to the house because like @JanS it's daytime tv.
The feeder has been busy since Fern arrived. The birds are playing nicely and taking turns at the snack bar.
I get cold just watching them sit in the snow while they wait their turn.
IMG_20260125_071242.webp
There was about 10 birds on each side of the pole when I walked out to fill the feeder.
 
Wow I didn't even know they went as far north as you.
They have been slowy moving north for a few decades now. They are actually pretty common around here now. They are a menace and I wish they would all go back south!
 
They have been slowy moving north for a few decades now. They are actually pretty common around here now. They are a menace and I wish they would all go back south!
Do people eat them?
I wonder if the Eagles eat them?
They seem an easier target for the eagles than the minks?
 
Do people eat them?
When they first started showing up around here I decided to do some research. I think they are eaten in South America but not
so much in the states because of the risk of leprosy.
I wonder if the Eagles eat them?
From what I have seen of eagles they will eat whatever they can. So just a guess I would say if they can get through the armor they would eat them.
I'm not really sure how strong the shell is.
They seem an easier target for the eagles than the minks?
I think that's true for a couple of reasons. Minks are fast but are rarely seen as exposed as these 2 we saw were. They usually stay tucked in rock or exposed tree roots or anywhere they can find shelter. They are nocturnal and eagles do their hunting during the day so a mink would probably be a rare meal.
 
When they first started showing up around here I decided to do some research. I think they are eaten in South America but not
so much in the states because of the risk of leprosy.

From what I have seen of eagles they will eat whatever they can. So just a guess I would say if they can get through the armor they would eat them.
I'm not really sure how strong the shell is.

I think that's true for a couple of reasons. Minks are fast but are rarely seen as exposed as these 2 we saw were. They usually stay tucked in rock or exposed tree roots or anywhere they can find shelter. They are nocturnal and eagles do their hunting during the day so a mink would probably be a rare meal.
Eagles are smart.
Many birds break shells of some nuts and shell fish by dropping them from some altitude.
I’ve seen video of golden eagles grabbing a mountain goat enough to knock it off balance making it fall to its death, then go eat.


On a side note I was just digging through the recipe thread. I can’t wait for summer to try the grilled peaches with basalmic and blue cheese! Hard to believe that was about 10 years ago?😳
 
Many birds break shells of some nuts and shell fish by dropping them from some altitude.
I knew that but I wasn't sure an eagle could grip a armadillo. Those armor coated varmints are pretty big. I've only seen eagle catch fish in flight and then there's the times I've seen them eating road kill. Just a couple of weeks ago one was hit by a car while trying to carry off his road kill prize.
I can’t wait for summer to try the grilled peaches with basalmic and blue cheese! Hard to believe that was about 10 years ago?😳
WOW! 10 years! You won't be disappointed. They were even better than I thought.
 

Back
Top