1. Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Cowlick on puppy

Discussion in 'Doberman Health Issues and Questions' started by Logan 45, Jul 25, 2019.

1. Lizbeli

Lizbeli Hot Topics Subscriber

@My2Girls Correct me if I am wrong, but is that a cowlick or just the natural pattern of fur most short haired dogs have? I call it the drip line. Where water would drain down when they are wet. However I could just be nuts and I have no idea where I read/heard this XD

But both of my dogs have had this ridge on their necks.
    FF166D40-308D-4C7B-8B27-88B85D5BBC83.jpeg

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. Doberman Gang

Doberman Gang Hot Topics Subscriber

I have see quite a few Dobermans with those even some winning show dogs. Very common.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Diane Law

Diane Law Hot Topics Subscriber

So peaceful!!! Wish I could take a nap !

4. Ingrid H

Ingrid H Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

That's just like my boy's cowlick only shorter. Hans' goes almost to his shoulder blades :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Logan 45

Logan 45 Member

Any thing specific you have to do for a collar other than maybe a soft leather one ?

• Like Like x 2
  6. Ingrid H

Ingrid H Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Nope, he's never shown any sign of irritation from having a collar on over his cowlick.

• Like Like x 1
  7. My2Girls

My2Girls Notable member

Good question? I just assumed it was a cowlick. My other dobie, Princess, does not have it as pronounced as Shadow. Maybe the experts can chime in. What do you guy think?

• I was wondering about that too! I was wondering about that too! x 1
  8. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

Kaiser has it like this too but the light has to hit it a certain way. You can see it here coming down from his ear base. It’s the same on both sides. I have heard it called a “seam”.
    03F91AE0-2414-4C56-8E1D-30162DF16075.jpeg

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 2
  9. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Wow congrats on your new addition! :congrats: When is she coming home?

Cowlicks, zippers or whatever you want to call them are very common in many breeds but you can see them better on Dobermans with their sleek coat.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  10. Logan 45

Logan 45 Member

Thank you ! :ty:And we actually have her already we picked her up at 6 weeks. So she’s been with us for 2 weeks already and so far so good she’s fitting in and potty training, and crate training are going well. Tomorrow we go to the vet to evaluate her ears for a crop my vet likes to look at the ears before making a commitment to cropping them.

• Like Like x 3
    • Wow x 1