1. Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Can we talk about food ?

Discussion in 'Doberman Nutritional Care' started by C908, Nov 8, 2018.

1. strykerdobe

strykerdobe Hot Topics Subscriber

Fromm is a good food.
    Do a slow transition over 7-10 or more days. 3/4 or more of regular food and 1/4 or less of the new for 2-3 days. If everything looks good then 1/2 and 1/2 for a few days and so on.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  2. strykerdobe

Forgot to mention. Right now until they figure out what is going on with Grain Free foods and DCM. I would not feed it unless there is a reason they are on Grain Free. Then I would be supplementing with Taurine.
    The FDA I think is supposed to come out with another report about Grain Free very soon.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. My2Girls

My2Girls Notable member

I am also switching to a new food Nature’s Logic at the recommendation of @Rits. Did my research and liked what I read. In addition to what @strykerdobe suggested about transitioning to the new kibble I would also keep the protein the same.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Sadie and Doc

Sadie and Doc $ Forum Donor $

Thank you @strykerdobie @My2Girls We have no reason to be on grain free.. we just jumped on the band wagon.:banghead: ......;) can't wait to read that new report!!

5. strykerdobe

The major Grains you don't want in pet foods are Corn of any kind, Wheat of any kind and Soy of any kind!

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. C908

C908 Notable member

I have researched food till I'm blue in the face, I'm comfortable with Fromm adult gold.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Sadie and Doc

Sadie and Doc $ Forum Donor $

Thank you @C908 that make me feel better :thumbsup:

• Like Like x 1
  8. Lizbeli

Lizbeli Hot Topics Subscriber

Has anyone decided to stick with their grain free food and supplement with Taurine powder? I have always fed Orijen but never had a breed prone to heart issues... My pup should be home by February. Orijens protein may be too much for a puppy, but its a food I may want to switch to when he matures. Wonder how much taurine would be appropriate.

9. Steveh0429

Steveh0429 Hot Topics Subscriber

10. Steveh0429

Steveh0429 Hot Topics Subscriber

My experience with my 4th Dobies who is now 9 months and thriving. My vet/breeder recommended Earthborn Meadow Feast. It's lamb and other grain free ingredients. He loves it, his coat is perfect, and of course the food is pricey, but worth it. There's my opinion.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Tropicalbri's

Tropicalbri's $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Taurine supplements amounts I give are 1000mg twice a day.
    L-Carnitine 1000mg twice a day. Make sure there are no additives to them and that it is made in the US.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. Lizbeli

Thank you, thats helpful. Im now wondering if the "fillers" in grain free food are just lacking taurine or somehow inhibiting the body to absorb it. Im not even sure if that is possible but this stuff is making me pull my hair out! I dont even have my dobershark yet and I am going nuts XD I dont even know the half of it im sure.

• Empathetic Empathetic x 2
  13. Tropicalbri's

Tropicalbri's $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Yes, it’s so frustrating trying to figure it out. Until the research is complete we will be in limbo on what can be safely fed to our dobes. The pups cardiologist said the supplements are important in this breed because of DCM so he usually recommends supplementing with taurine and l-carnitine before they reach maturity and he also recommends a raw or cooked diet. He refuses to have ANY Hills Diet or Royal Canin in his practice. He readily calls it garbage food.

• Informative Informative x 2
  14. Lizbeli

I really wish I found a vet practice like that. Of the three closests to me, all of them have Royal Canin. I suppose for the peace of mind ill be supplementing with taurine when I get my guy. Ill be switchimg from Orijen to Fromm for now... Carnitine is a new supplement I have not researched yet. Ill take a look. Thanks for your input!

15. My2Dobies

My2Dobies Hot Topics Subscriber

I’ve been reading and reading . . . and I need a clarification please. On the breeders recommendation, I’ve continued feeding what she fed: Fromm Large Breed Puppy Gold (the plain aqua blue bag). Lexi is doing really well on it. It has 26% protein. But if I’m understanding right, your breeder, along with many others on here, is saying to NOT feed the puppy food, but instead the adult food. Are you doing Fromm Large Breed Gold (green bag) [23% protein] or Fromm Adult Gold (black bag) [25% protein] ? And is that 1 to 3 % protein difference worth me switching? Since typing in a forum loses the intent, please everyone know I’m not asking with any skepticism; I’m just trying to figure it all out . . . Lexi is 19 weeks old and growing so much!

• I was wondering about that too! I was wondering about that too! x 1
  16. C908

C908 Notable member

Based on our breeders advice I was using Fromm Adult Gold (black bag). I think Fromm is a very good food but because of some skin issues we recently switched to Earthborn Holistic Ocean Fusion. It is a Limited Ingredient food with fish being the only source of protein.We wanted to get away from foods with chicken. All of Fromm's different flavors had some type of chicken ingredient. At the present time Preachers coat seems to be doing pretty good and he really likes the new food. As for the 1 to 3 percent protein range I can't give you a definite answer if it makes a difference. I do know that Preachers new food is 22 percent protein where Fromm is 25 percent.I can tell you that finding a food that does not include some type of chicken ingredient is difficult to do. At some point we may switch back to Fromm Adult Gold but for now we will stick with the limited ingredient food. I'm feeling like the fish may be helping his coat. In conclusion my advice would be for you to finish the Fromm you are using now and then order the Fromm Adult Gold(black bag). Good luck with the new pup!

• Like Like x 1
  17. Gelcoater

Gelcoater Expert ThreadCrapper $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber

Curious how the Gold is going?
    Just got a bag, thinking about switching Rocky off of his current food.

18. C908

C908 Notable member

After completing his food trial and determining food wasn't the problem we returned to Fromm Gold. At this point I plan on keeping him on Fromm.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Lizbeli

I know I am not C908, but I have been feeding Jasper who is now 11mths old, purely Fromm Gold since he was 8wks. His growth seems to be normal, and his coat is healthy. Granted I do feed sardines and coconut oil once in a while. Hopefully it is doing good things internally too lol. I would love to do raw but haven’t found anywhere that fits the budget they way id like.

F91F4E0B-B4E7-4CA4-BD75-2276F66D1055.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  20. C908

C908 Notable member

His coat looks great ! I might mention I do coconut oil on Preacher's food everyday along with a hard boiled egg. He gets sardines once a week.

• Like Like x 2