Can I get a witness?

Two Dobes

Hot Topics Subscriber
I have posted this photo before but can't remember the thread....so the story is our neighbors across the street have 2 schnauzers, (who I check in on when they are gone for long hours) and the continually just let their dogs run out the front door to come do their business in our yard. I take our two out (one at a time on an E collar) to our front yard because way more room to zoom. Our dogs have never left our yard; even if these folks are in their driveway, or doing yard work. If they "see" me out there, they make certain not to let their dogs out....but inevitably they don't see me, and let their two out...who come racing over barking and circling my dobe. Each time it occurs, lucky for them; it has been Clarke I have had out. Clarke is 5 1/2, many obedience titles, and does whatever mama asks of him :thumbsup2:....I never have to even ding the collar, because he is so good...I put it on for insurance. A month ago, I had Glory out...and here the two dogs come...she immediately chased them right home, but she went into the street to get them back in their yard...even when I called her, and zapped her. She came back before she got to their yard, but my point is; she is not so predictable.
So this afternoon, I am out with Clarke, and here they come....the guy starts yelling for me to "see" his dogs (apparently so I would grab MY dog) and they come all the way up to my house and start circling my boy barking. Clarke was sooooo good; he just laid down. Which made me a nervous wreck in the 45 seconds all this was going on, because if one of those dogs actually bit him, I don't know WHAT he would do. So I called him to me, and he came...with these two maniacs barking the whole time next to him, and I told Clarke to stay. So he just stood, and watched these two as the guy FINALLY came up into our yard and called his two...who did not respond to him. I was exasperated, and yelled This is NOT good. Guy tells me we live in the country, and he can't always make sure I am not out with my dogs. I told him I would feel horrible if something happened, and they really should not be in our yard. He didn't answer. (Sorry this is so long, I was really upset). So I put Clarke in, and get Glory for her ball time out front, and here comes the guys wife in her car....she rolled down the window to say Hi, and I went off on her. It just came pouring out of my mouth how I don't care if they let their dogs run, just DO NOT let them come over here! Again telling her how I don't know what my dog would do if they start snapping at mine....it could be all over for her dogs. She was clearly embarrassed; blamed her husband...and then I apologized to her for being so upset.:complain:IMG_6104 2.jpeg :(
We get along with these people, but I feel they are so irresponsible...I feel bad that I flipped out, last time I told her husband it was a problem, he "redirected" the conversation and told me our motion lights bother them. :mad:
Just needed to vent....I am always aware that we have the "aggressive" breed, and hate being put in that situation.

Ugh some people just don't get it. Just because they have small dogs, it doesn't mean they don't need training.

I would never let our dogs wander out of our yard, let alone into a neighbors yard, whether they have dogs or not.

I have posted this photo before but can't remember the thread....so the story is our neighbors across the street have 2 schnauzers, (who I check in on when they are gone for long hours) and the continually just let their dogs run out the front door to come do their business in our yard. I take our two out (one at a time on an E collar) to our front yard because way more room to zoom. Our dogs have never left our yard; even if these folks are in their driveway, or doing yard work. If they "see" me out there, they make certain not to let their dogs out....but inevitably they don't see me, and let their two out...who come racing over barking and circling my dobe. Each time it occurs, lucky for them; it has been Clarke I have had out. Clarke is 5 1/2, many obedience titles, and does whatever mama asks of him :thumbsup2:....I never have to even ding the collar, because he is so good...I put it on for insurance. A month ago, I had Glory out...and here the two dogs come...she immediately chased them right home, but she went into the street to get them back in their yard...even when I called her, and zapped her. She came back before she got to their yard, but my point is; she is not so predictable.
So this afternoon, I am out with Clarke, and here they come....the guy starts yelling for me to "see" his dogs (apparently so I would grab MY dog) and they come all the way up to my house and start circling my boy barking. Clarke was sooooo good; he just laid down. Which made me a nervous wreck in the 45 seconds all this was going on, because if one of those dogs actually bit him, I don't know WHAT he would do. So I called him to me, and he came...with these two maniacs barking the whole time next to him, and I told Clarke to stay. So he just stood, and watched these two as the guy FINALLY came up into our yard and called his two...who did not respond to him. I was exasperated, and yelled This is NOT good. Guy tells me we live in the country, and he can't always make sure I am not out with my dogs. I told him I would feel horrible if something happened, and they really should not be in our yard. He didn't answer. (Sorry this is so long, I was really upset). So I put Clarke in, and get Glory for her ball time out front, and here comes the guys wife in her car....she rolled down the window to say Hi, and I went off on her. It just came pouring out of my mouth how I don't care if they let their dogs run, just DO NOT let them come over here! Again telling her how I don't know what my dog would do if they start snapping at mine....it could be all over for her dogs. She was clearly embarrassed; blamed her husband...and then I apologized to her for being so upset.:complain:View attachment 123694 :(
We get along with these people, but I feel they are so irresponsible...I feel bad that I flipped out, last time I told her husband it was a problem, he "redirected" the conversation and told me our motion lights bother them. :mad:
Just needed to vent....I am always aware that we have the "aggressive" breed, and hate being put in that situation.
How totally frustrating! It is also frustrating when we feel we have to apologise for blowing up when we have bottled up as long as we can. I suppose you could mention that ecollar training works well on small dogs too and would solve the lack of recall. Could save their little terrors lives too! ;)

So frustrating...!!! We moved last month and our neighbors have 3 dogs (a Chihuahua, Old English Bulldogge and a German Shepherd) who come barking into our yard all the time. The owners DO NOT care. Ripley is either on an ecollar and listens very well or in her smaller fenced in area going potty. I just worry about a fight! If we weren't proactive pulling her away verbally way before these dogs came into our yard, there probably would have already been one. We already planned to put a fence up because of these dogs (our other neighbor said the German Shepherd killed one of their goats!!) So we have the materials but winter beat us before we could close.

I hope the wife goes home now and has a stern talking to her husband. He should not be warning YOU that his dog's are out...lol!! I would say "and my dogs are in their own yard while yours are not!?" They could get hit and severely hurt. I'd hate to call animal control but sheesh... Maybe animal control needs to see these pictures or a camera put up. So sorry, I know the frustrations. Fences make good neighbors as they say 😩

You know…. May sound harsh on the little poofy woofy sweethearts of theirs, but spray some mace on them and they will not come back in your yard.

This is really not your problem to have but there is a solution.

I carry pepper spray when we go on walks due to loose dogs, but have never had to use it. Good idea to carry it when I am in my own yard ;). I have every right to!!! And I would be saving their dogs life....:biggrin:

That would be frustrating! You clearly are a patient, caring neighbor. I tend to just let fly with neighbors who I already know do stupid stuff. My wife gets mortified if I do.

Good boy, Clarke, and good girl, Glory!

Yeah, people are often just so stupid with their dogs. Everybody has their own way, and it's so true what Jan said regarding most owners of small dogs. I've also lived through the "out in the country" mentality. We lived in a country-like setting, but the houses were not that far apart – I don't know, 75 - 100 yards between next door neighbors. We had, a bad barking problem in the neighborhood due to this "country" mindset. We also had a woman a few houses away with two GSDs (that were major contributors to the barking problem) that liked to roam into our yard and often defecate there. One day I was out in our yard, and my Dobe Dax was not right by me because he was contained a short distance away inside the underground fence. Who should come running into our yard but the GSDs. The female ran straight at me. I had never met the dog and didn't know if it was going to jump on me or worse. I simply lifted my leg forward, showing the sole of my shoe to the dog's face. I wasn't going to kick it per say, but I imagine if it had not slammed on the brakes a couple feet away, yelped, and turned and ran for home I might have thrust the foot a bit.

Good fences make good neighbors. I'm a big advocate of fences. Can you put one up? Since it's the front yard, maybe use wrought iron to make it look better.

Maybe a couple of paw slaps from a Dober would do them some good. The dogs, not the people 😁 Although the people sound like they use a good shake up too😉
Ha. Nice. Yeah, I could trust that Oji would not severely injure the dogs – certainly not kill them, as I've heard some express concern about. Paw slaps would be likely, yes.

Kaiser's mom's suggestion is better than the idea I had, which is to prepare a bucket of cold water and calmly walk out there while telling Glory or Clarke to stand down. Then, a well-placed dump in this winter weather! But I suppose that might be a tad cruel to the dogs who are just being dogs, and it would certainly raise tensions with the neighbor.

Thank you all for listening...I was so upset yesterday! It really threw me....I am not confrontational, and just lost it once I saw this guys wife...she is easier to go off on than him. He is a master at redirecting the conversation. This also is not country like setting...yes, only 6 houses on our dead end street, we are at the end with them....and then a forest, But we have restrictions on fences in the front. So our back is fenced where they run together, but the front is where they can open up and blast around.

But we have restrictions on fences in the front.
Well, that sucks. I'm 110% for a fence. That not being an option, I would second the pepper spray on a non-windy day. The best thing about pepper spray on a dog is that they go home & spread the joy with their humans. I hear it's worse than being skunked.

I'm very much a keeper of the peace, I hate getting confrontational - especially when it's someone you are "stuck with" like a neighbor and you'll have to deal with them over & over. But, like you, if I get pushed hard enough I will come unglued, so I totally get your frustration. Is there any way you could talk them into an invisible fence for their property to keep their dogs contained? I'm not a fan of those, but it might work well for both of you in this case.

I do have a funny story to share. I had to house-sit a miniature schnauzer and 4 cats for a long weekend for some people my parents knew, probably back in the early '90's. I had to stay at the house for the weekend. There were no fences in the neighborhood so I had to leash the dog up and walk him 3x a day. The SOB would growl & bite at me every single time. I got a loop-leash and had to go through all sorts of freaking antics to get the leash on. I slept in the guest bedroom and that dog would jump on the bed and growl at me. If I shut the door he'd claw at the door (a very nice up-scale home) - I was afraid they'd see damage and know I locked the dog out from sleeping on the bed. They told me he probably would, but they were clueless that he would behave like this. I hated that dog! A year or so later I got a Doberman and there were some packaged treats (not sure they make them anymore) called Snausages which were her favorite. I would break them into pieces and ask my dog "Would you like to bite a Schnauzer? Would you like to just swallow a Schnauzer whole? You'd just LOVE to eat a Schnauzer, wouldn't you?" It was my own private joke against that horrid little dog and the weekend from hell.

Restrictions on fen
Thank you all for listening...But we have restrictions on fences in the front. So our back is fenced where they run together, but the front is where they can open up and blast around.
So…how about a “temporary“ barrier made from dog pen fencing panels or construction site /road repair safety fencing? (I use yards of the deconstructed pet pen panels around my property to keep Luna off areas unless supervised to prevent her digging holes in the lawns :thumbsup2:)
Its easily put together & if youre questioned about it by whoever sets the restrictions you can tell it how it is & that when your neighbour takes responsibility for his straying dogs you’ll gladly remove it.
If he does get his act together you can sell it on! If not, how long is “temporary“ :D At the very least it’ll make the point & put the emphasis on him.

Attachments

• 59A62E21-BF1B-426F-BF01-491629EA10FE.jpeg
    59A62E21-BF1B-426F-BF01-491629EA10FE.jpeg
    942.5 KB · Views: 12
Well, that sucks. I'm 110% for a fence. That not being an option, I would second the pepper spray on a non-windy day. The best thing about pepper spray on a dog is that they go home & spread the joy with their humans. I hear it's worse than being skunked.

I'm very much a keeper of the peace, I hate getting confrontational - especially when it's someone you are "stuck with" like a neighbor and you'll have to deal with them over & over. But, like you, if I get pushed hard enough I will come unglued, so I totally get your frustration. Is there any way you could talk them into an invisible fence for their property to keep their dogs contained? I'm not a fan of those, but it might work well for both of you in this case.

I do have a funny story to share. I had to house-sit a miniature schnauzer and 4 cats for a long weekend for some people my parents knew, probably back in the early '90's. I had to stay at the house for the weekend. There were no fences in the neighborhood so I had to leash the dog up and walk him 3x a day. The SOB would growl & bite at me every single time. I got a loop-leash and had to go through all sorts of freaking antics to get the leash on. I slept in the guest bedroom and that dog would jump on the bed and growl at me. If I shut the door he'd claw at the door (a very nice up-scale home) - I was afraid they'd see damage and know I locked the dog out from sleeping on the bed. They told me he probably would, but they were clueless that he would behave like this. I hated that dog! A year or so later I got a Doberman and there were some packaged treats (not sure they make them anymore) called Snausages which were her favorite. I would break them into pieces and ask my dog "Would you like to bite a Schnauzer? Would you like to just swallow a Schnauzer whole? You'd just LOVE to eat a Schnauzer, wouldn't you?" It was my own private joke against that horrid little dog and the weekend from hell.
THAT IS HILARIOUS!!!!! And yes, that is exactly how these two are....I check in on them when the people are gone for a long day, and they growl at me EVERYTIME! One jumps up and bites me through my jeans. I talk to them really sweet, and give treats but they just spit them out and bark at me. Not a fan of schnauzers....but also realize they are a product of their owners.

Restrictions on fen

So…how about a “temporary“ barrier made from dog pen fencing panels or construction site /road repair safety fencing? (I use yards of the deconstructed pet pen panels around my property to keep Luna off areas unless supervised to prevent her digging holes in the lawns :thumbsup2:)
Its easily put together & if youre questioned about it by whoever sets the restrictions you can tell it how it is & that when your neighbour takes responsibility for his straying dogs you’ll gladly remove it.
If he does get his act together you can sell it on! If not, how long is “temporary“ :D At the very least it’ll make the point & put the emphasis on him.
Great photo...except my front is about over 600 ft long with our driveway in the middle....we discussed getting an electronic gate between our pillars, we may need to look at that again. People drive down here often, and it's a dead end so they end up turning around in our driveway....that's why we originally considered it. Where did you get that wiring fence? Home Depot? I am certain dog fencing is more expensive than what is used for construction just because if it is for "dog" they jack up prices :p

Ha. Nice. Yeah, I could trust that Oji would not severely injure the dogs – certainly not kill them, as I've heard some express concern about. Paw slaps would be likely, yes.

Kaiser's mom's suggestion is better than the idea I had, which is to prepare a bucket of cold water and calmly walk out there while telling Glory or Clarke to stand down. Then, a well-placed dump in this winter weather! But I suppose that might be a tad cruel to the dogs who are just being dogs, and it would certainly raise tensions with the neighbor.
I also think the cold bucket of water is a great idea. Or a garden hose?

The summer before Covid, our neighbors got a little fluffy white dog and both dogs would bark across the fence at each other. They suggested the dogs meeting might help solve the issue. Since Kaiser's never played with small dogs, we decided against it. Well, this little dog is beyond annoying to Kaiser but we can always get K to stop barking and they can't get their dog to stop, so again they suggested to have the dogs meet. I thought, let's at least get this fluffball to stop barking, so I asked them to teach 'quiet'. They just couldn't be bothered. Anyway, a separate incident occurred with a similar small dog that came running up to Kaiser while K was leashed and K nudged him with his nose, knocking the dog over and then proceeded to paw slap him until he left. The owner was still trying to catch up to his dog, but there was no biting which was a nice confirmation for us that Kaiser doesn't lean that way. Point being, unless you've seen your dog be 'bitey' with other dogs, they probably would not bite/kill another dog, so maybe @Two Dobes ought to let the Dobes handle the situation. Aren't the other dogs trespassing on private property? So the Dobes would be within their rights to react? It would also serve as a deterrent to the owners of the Schnauzers because it seems to me like they rely on you to manage the situation on their behalf, like how my neighbor wants the dogs to meet in order to stop the barking, yet the barking issue is something they should be managing through training.

I like the garden hose idea, that’s a little less invasive and your neighbors can’t get upset over “water”.

I also think the cold bucket of water is a great idea. Or a garden hose?

The summer before Covid, our neighbors got a little fluffy white dog and both dogs would bark across the fence at each other. They suggested the dogs meeting might help solve the issue. Since Kaiser's never played with small dogs, we decided against it. Well, this little dog is beyond annoying to Kaiser but we can always get K to stop barking and they can't get their dog to stop, so again they suggested to have the dogs meet. I thought, let's at least get this fluffball to stop barking, so I asked them to teach 'quiet'. They just couldn't be bothered. Anyway, a separate incident occurred with a similar small dog that came running up to Kaiser while K was leashed and K nudged him with his nose, knocking the dog over and then proceeded to paw slap him until he left. The owner was still trying to catch up to his dog, but there was no biting which was a nice confirmation for us that Kaiser doesn't lean that way. Point being, unless you've seen your dog be 'bitey' with other dogs, they probably would not bite/kill another dog, so maybe @Two Dobes ought to let the Dobes handle the situation. Aren't the other dogs trespassing on private property? So the Dobes would be within their rights to react? It would also serve as a deterrent to the owners of the Schnauzers because it seems to me like they rely on you to manage the situation on their behalf, like how my neighbor wants the dogs to meet in order to stop the barking, yet the barking issue is something they should be managing through training.
Reminds me of our current next door neighbors. They have two Lab-like mixes. We have a somewhat meager fence which has offset boards so you can see through at an angle. Their black female dog and Oji come nose to nose through the fence and it's actually funny and cute. Oji's barking is not excessive with her, but includes growliness and agitated state. Their other female and Oji do not get along and it's louder and less pleasant.

Well, of course I can, with a command, get Oji to stop barking and I can get him to come to me/come into the house. The neighbors? They cannot even get their dogs to come into the house :rofl: I'm, like: This is cat-level obedience you guys have got over there. It happens that this is the same neighbor who, one day when I made the decision to leave Oji in our backyard as I made one loop of our short street with our young daughter on a tricycle, met me as I got back near the house and unhappily told me to make my dog stop barking.:facepalm:

Anyway, since you can get Clarke to do whatever you want, do you think you could train him to harbor some bees in his mouth and release the bees on command? (disclaimer: Not my nasty leg :sick: )

HoundsBees.JPG

Where did you get that wiring fence? Home Depot? I am certain dog fencing is more expensive than what is used for construction just because if it is for "dog" they jack up prices :p
600 feet would indeed be a challenge!
Fencing in the photo was originally 4 or 5 pet pens made with eight 4 x 2 foot sections, dismantled & put back together with cable ties. I,m in England U.K. & got them from an EBay seller for about £35 ($45) each pen. For a small area they’re great because they can be easily moved around.

Back