best raw meat/food ?

onyxwren

i’m looking to adding raw meat to my dogs diet. do you guys have any suggestions on what would be a good start? also any other foods that are good to add?

Are you just wanting to add some to your kibble diet for nutrition and goodness or are you wanting to switch over completely? Store bought frozen patties are balanced in nutrition and can be fed as 100% raw diet. Making at home from grocery store meat is time consuming and takes a lot to balance the nutrition.

My pockets aren't deep enough for premade raw, but I make a topper for my kibble diet and my dog loves it. It's a frankenmeal mixture of low fat ground beef, turkey, chicken feet, beef liver, beef heart, chicken gizzards, unsalted canned green beans and pumpkin I have a heavy duty meat grinder that I put most of it through with the chicken feet, pack it into trays and freeze. I thaw one tray and it makes about 3 or 4 meal toppers of 6 - 8 oz. which she gets on her evening meal. I use to feed the chicken feet whole, but my dog was so crazy about them, she'd swallow them whole, then puke up a few hours later because she didn't crunch the bones up.

fullsizeoutput_776.jpeg

We've bought BARF frozen patties in the past and currently buy Steve's. The BARF was nice because I could preschedule deliveries but when we did a cost analysis vs the Steve's, Steve's was much more cost effective - we can also buy it at the locally owned pet store that's nearly across the street which makes it easy for us to source (which I know can be a challenge in some areas). We use the patties as supplemental feeding so it's a small portion of their daily intake.

BARF land and sea are like $200 for 24 lbs; I think the Steve's is $125 for 20lbs (slight variations with different proteins). With the BARF, I also paid an annual membership fee to get free shipping.

For the premade raw, try buying in bulk as it leads to the greatest savings. There might also be local raw food sellers. I wouldn't buy raw from Pet Smart type stores, as they are just trying to cash in but don't really offer any savings, nor do they have a variety of meats or bulk options.

Are you just wanting to add some to your kibble diet for nutrition and goodness or are you wanting to switch over completely? Store bought frozen patties are balanced in nutrition and can be fed as 100% raw diet. Making at home from grocery store meat is time consuming and takes a lot to balance the nutrition.

My pockets aren't deep enough for premade raw, but I make a topper for my kibble diet and my dog loves it. It's a frankenmeal mixture of low fat ground beef, turkey, chicken feet, beef liver, beef heart, chicken gizzards, unsalted canned green beans and pumpkin I have a heavy duty meat grinder that I put most of it through with the chicken feet, pack it into trays and freeze. I thaw one tray and it makes about 3 or 4 meal toppers of 6 - 8 oz. which she gets on her evening meal. I use to feed the chicken feet whole, but my dog was so crazy about them, she'd swallow them whole, then puke up a few hours later because she didn't crunch the bones up.

View attachment 141383
i wanted to do kibble/raw meat diet. i like the food she eats but i dont feel its giving her all her nutrients that she needs

i like the food she eats but i dont feel its giving her all her nutrients that she needs
Truthfully most quality dog kibbles do supply 100% of their nutrients, even if it's via added vitamins, minerals, etc. To me, it's the rendering, cooking, drying, chemicals & preservatives that make it comparable to human junk food. We could live off McDonalds with vitamin supplements, but it's a hardship on the physical body. That's why I make my raw toppers. I can be pretty assured by the kibble that she's getting a quality balance of what she needs and I just add human-grade whole meat, bone & organs & veggies.

When I started feeding the raw patties I definitely noticed her stools were smaller and denser which suggested to me that she was absorbing more of the nutrients. It just got so expensive I started mixing it with kibble

When I started feeding the raw patties I definitely noticed her stools were smaller and denser which suggested to me that she was absorbing more of the nutrients. It just got so expensive I started mixing it with kibble
I'm definitely all for it, but did the math on a 65 - 69 lb dog and no way could I make that work. $$$

Bella was fed 100% raw (alternated between OC Raw and Steves), until two years ago when I got a second dog (a rescue, Frankie). I just couldn’t afford it for both dogs 100% of the time. So I compromised and give them 50% kibble, 50% raw. Then often give them unsalted sardines and raw eggs. I also try to find the best kibble I can, currently it’s Farmina. Wish I could afford 100% raw, but I do what I can.

Back