Bedja's thread

AnnV

Hot Topics Subscriber
$ Forum Donor $
I could also name this thread "What I found by luck while shopping for dog food".
About two weeks ago Bedja was having some stomach issues and I went looking for a different food to temporarily switch to see if it would help. Dialed a phone number I found online, service by appointment only. Turns out the place where I coincidentally went looking for dog food is owned by a trainer who moved here from out of state a few years ago. When she casually mentioned she works with Belgian Malinois that of course caught my attention right away⚡💡Lol. She has five Malinois and two GSDs and competes in French Ring with her two year old Malinois. The other Mals are around 11years old.

When she mentioned they do boarding and training I asked about boarding because Bedja may need a place to board in the unknown future. She and her husband only board dogs they trained themselves in their Board & train program, but since Bedja doesn't have any issues and has had some professional training in the past she was willing to meet for an evaluation.
The evaluation meeting was pleasant and informal, she asked about his history and medical records and lastly to show some of his obedience.
Bedja did everything flawlessly in one fell swoop, on a whim I also added his "Bang"-play dead trick and "Out"-the-tug. Funny and a bit surprising for me because I admit we don't do that kind of "show off" often, in a new location with new people and it was almost as if he knew what this meeting was about. It was also nice to discover that we share philosophy on various things and it was agreed Bedja would be taken in for day training for the purpose of possible future boarding, so presently I drop him off one day a week. Having found this place has taken a LOAD of worry off my shoulders for what to do IF I have to leave him for some time, knowing that here he can both board at a familiar place AND have the stimulation he needs. Here below he is working on his pivot skills, and having a run on their property. Icing on the cake is that it's a less than 15 minute drive from our place.7493386A-8C20-4164-B1DF-C6CFFAC38E4E.jpeg

42427D42-FE11-4A94-8463-37C2A893ED7F.jpeg

That's awesome! I think it's a great idea to have a place set up ahead of time for boarding, whether it be a family member or facility, in case you ever need to. It's good to let them start getting comfortable with it before you ever need to use it longer term. Less stress on everyone ☺️

Good boy Bedja for rocking the obedience in a new location! That's always a treat when good training pays off even in an unfamiliar place.

Wow, that’s awesome news! The photographs of him enjoying the facility shows it all, he loves it! Just 15 minutes away, too? That’s incredible!

Place looks awesome and he looks happy to be there.

So what happened with the food?
I already had one unopened large bag plus one half of Nature's Logic at home so was just looking for a smaller amount, and I still don't think the food was the issue. There were only large bags available that day so I ended up getting a small bag of Fromm from a different place. He's already back to his old food and poop is normal. He still eats two meals raw and one meal kibble, so only needs a smaller amount of kibble. Perhaps it could be beneficial to change brands once in a while even if nothing is "wrong" with the food?, but when there is something going on with their stomach it's just good to know that it is not the food. When off leash he still manages to eat poop:sick: occasionally and I think that may have been the cause of his loose stool, even though parasite screen was negative and he gets Interceptor once per month. He was also taking Metronidazole at that time.

Edit to add subject head line: SQUIRRELS
Bedja is so good with trotting nicely beside the bike and doesn't charge at squirrels even when they are as close as three feet. We have sooo many squirrels around and they are not afraid!, they seem to know a dog on leash won't catch them, so they just stay put munching on their food. But the other day one of them ran right in front of of Bedja's front feet under his nose! That was just a bit too close, so I had to stop and the squirrel barely avoided running into my front wheel:eek:.

Last edited:
What a great discovery and I can imagine what a relief it is to you.

What a great discovery and I can imagine what a relief it is to you.
Yes, and there is no shortage of distractions for training. They have goats, cats and chickens. Just wonder when do the humans sleep lol.

Although Bedja doesn't quite pivot full 360 circle with front feet on the tub without me "stepping into" him in the direction he should be moving, he CAN do, and does, a very nice 'from front to finish in heel position' half circle on the floor without the tub. There is, understandably, a slight disconnect in his mind between circle on the tub and the finish motion without the tub. But I guess that in itself is not a big deal when he actually is able to do the finish to heel/sit on the floor.
tempImageyCpqXD.pngSweet kitty has been observing and her imitating and stepping onto the tub was too adorable to ignore:hearteyes:. Unfortunately she turned her head at last moment.

Although Bedja doesn't quite pivot full 360 circle with front feet on the tub without me "stepping into" him in the direction he should be moving, he CAN do, and does, a very nice 'from front to finish in heel position' half circle on the floor without the tub. There is, understandably, a slight disconnect in his mind between circle on the tub and the finish motion without the tub. But I guess that in itself is not a big deal when he actually is able to do the finish to heel/sit on the floor.
View attachment 118981Sweet kitty has been observing and her imitating and stepping onto the tub was too adorable to ignore:hearteyes:. Unfortunately she turned her head at last moment.
They are such copy cats! I love when I see new behavior in the cat that is clearly influenced by Kaiser. They do learn from each other, the good AND the bad lol.

They are such copy cats! I love when I see new behavior in the cat that is clearly influenced by Kaiser. They do learn from each other, the good AND the bad lol.
I knoow! Why do they do that? to connect and feel "part of the club"? Funny the first time I noticed our cat nibble on one of Bedja's Benebones😆. It is touching to observe how our kitty is very loving and really wants to be good friends with Bedja. He is fine, but sometimes a bit bully-ish, as if taking advantage of his size and powerfulness.

I knoow! Why do they do that? to connect and feel "part of the club"? Funny the first time I noticed our cat nibble on one of Bedja's Benebones😆. It is touching to observe how our kitty is very loving and really wants to be good friends with Bedja. He is fine, but sometimes a bit bully-ish, as if taking advantage of his size and powerfulness.
Same here. The cat tries really hard, but the bully in Kaiser likes to exert himself every now and then.

I just love this photo! I miss my cat so much. Also, can't miss the piano & music stand... I come from a musical family, although I didn't follow in their footsteps I do love almost every genre of music.

I just love this photo! I miss my cat so much. Also, can't miss the piano & music stand... I come from a musical family, although I didn't follow in their footsteps I do love almost every genre of music.
I miss my piano so much. Hurricane Irma destroyed it. Broke my heart. Hopefully I can find a Spinet in Roatán that someone is ready to let go of.

Goofball in focus training.4C979721-AA7B-45AF-A442-7AAA5FF1EA15.jpeg

Another video clip of ball play in the field, there were some invisible distractions, probably new scents.

Back