1. Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Basic protection training

Discussion in 'Training & Behavior' started by Ddski5, Mar 12, 2019.

1. Silent Dobe

Silent Dobe Well-Known Member

Not sure what I can add here that hasn't already been said. But my "door" is always open to PMs and such for questions, concerns, and showing your pup off! Keep us updated on your journey. Where are you located?

• Appreciation Appreciation x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Tropicalbri's

Tropicalbri's $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

My first Dobermann had a high prey drive and a high energy level. He was completely dedicated to me as we were together literally 24/7 inclusive of my job. His first training started when he was 10wks old in basic obedience and we trained multiple times a day, everyday in all weather and terrain. We did not have a formal Schutzhund club where we lived in the Caribbean. He was trained by a retired Police K9 trainer and was around 4yrs old before we started in PP training. He was worked everyday with jumps, blinds, climbing walls and the likes that were used with the Police K9s. His obedience level was honed to almost perfection before we started PP. I could walk him off lead any and everywhere and knew he would only watch me. He was never one that was disrupted with distractions as his focus was consistent. He was friendly with people to an extent. If I shook your hand and said it was ok, he would relax and be fine. We had lots of beach parties after a day of scuba diving with 20 and 30 people there and he was cool with everyone as long as they did not invade my space. His focus was always on me no matter what was going on. He was not a dog that tolerated other male dogs or dominant female dogs. He was an EXCELLENT pet for me and was a one of a kind Dobermann. Stable, well rounded and focused. He only bit one of our friends and that was because the guy came up behind me and put me in a bear hug. Rocky saw that as a threat and was airborne before I could react. He bit the guy in the chin 3 times (nips) before I could call him Out. If he wanted to, he could have ripped the guy to shreds so it was basically a warning bite. When I went to peoples homes, events or boats he was always welcome. People knew to not physically approach me. I could approach them and give a hug and he was fine. So I think to answer your question, it depends on the dog. His temperament, level of training, focus and your bond with him.
    The two I have now are friendly and playful with company unless the dynamics of the situation changes. When I take them to the boat ramp to swim and play ball their focus is only on me. There can be 10 strangers there and both my pups totally ignore everyone and focus only on the ball and me. They have no desire to approach people for petting or anything. I give a command and they respond immediately. People are usually afraid of them at first, then they watch in appreciation of how well behaved and focused they are. I took @Doberman Gang s advice and instructions on making sure I was the most fun person to be around so they learned that and do not break away from me and run off to explore or greet people. Training, training, training is key to having success with your dog. Both are in PP and are able to turn it on when needed and turn it off when done. Bogie takes a bit longer than Bacall to cool out but they are exceptional in attitude IMO. They LOVE going to training and are much calmer on those days when we get back home. Bogie hits really hard on the helper (more brute force) than Bacall. She is fast and uses less brute force but is relentless on the sleeve. I have to say I lucked out with them but I attribute their positive work attitudes to all the different types of training they have been involved in since they were 4mo old.
    They have very different personalities and Bogie’s loyalty to me is growing more and more each day whereas Bacall likes being a social butterfly with people who visit us.
    Sorry for the long post...but...:pokeeyes: they be my babies. Lol

• Like Like x 4
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 3
  3. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

Being engaged with your dog is so underestimated and misunderstood. I can’t say I ever really understood it until I started playing more actively with him and getting better focus from him. They really are the kind of dog that put your through your paces before letting you become beast master :dobe:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. Ddski5

Ddski5 Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

@Tropicalbri's

Thanks for your long post. I am always learning something new from you.

Good to hear that even though Rocky was 4y/o, it did not deter from his ability to be successful in PP. TBH, I was getting worried that time was slipping by with his training window time. We continually work everyday on bonding and obedience and I see an improvement with him relinquishing his crazy mode and adhering to commands given.

Seems to be difficult and frustrating but I will find something somewhere to challenge him in training.

• Like Like x 4
  5. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

He’s still young and the males maturing slowly is just sooo true. They know it all, they just choose not to listen. Then one day, they start reading your mind. Re timeframe, Nutz had an interesting post about delaying learning until the bond is established. These dogs ARE more likely to listen to you the more bonded they are and for that, we need to be more fun. Are ya sick of hearing the word fun yet? :woot2:

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. Oh Little Oji

Oh Little Oji Formerly Tad Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

The thought occurred to me tonight that despite my considering Oji to be hard to train (very hard to train by Doberman standards), he might have his areas where he could shine.

He's extremely watchful and alert. I know most Dobes are very alert. Seems, though, he has developed this tendency to act defensive when a driver pulls up next to us when we are on a walk.

I know a time or two I have been on a walk at night and told him to alert on a car that slowed or stopped by us. I also wonder if this could have been reinforced by the night a cop pulled up by me and ordered me to tie Oji to a nearby sign and come talk to him at his cruiser.

But yeah, if a person pulls up and stops and talks to us Oji acts defensively and barks and lunges at them. Recently a woman stopped by us and was very admiring, saying she had a Dobe before. Oji treated her like a threat.

A couple days ago my wife drove up by us on our street. I told him it was her and I'm sure he knew it was her. Still, he acted the same way: Car pulls up by us and person speaks. Oji gets defensive and barks, lunges – not in happy, social exuberance. No, in a defensive display.

It happened tonight on our late night walk. A Jeep pulls up to a stop sign us. Oji zones in on the cabin and starts jumping in anticipation despite my walking away. I very much appreciated his actions, as it all but ensures nobody is going to jump out of the car and mug me.

It just reveals to me how easy it may be to imprint certain behaviors on this guy. He has a working (sport, protection) pedigree and this falls in line.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2019
  7. Ddski5

I think I found a Schutzhund training club about an hour south of me.

mysite- Facebook page of Cajun Team Schutzhund Club

It only has a handful of members, seems most members have gotten too old and I don’t think they have any decoys/helpers.

I went yesterday and observed. They had three dogs- two GSD and one Dutch. The two GSD were pretty spot on and the Dutch was new and timid. Started with tracking, then behavior and then protection.

The tracking was very interesting and I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. This will give me something more to work on at home Soccer fields. Obedience was also neat to watch, the discipline and focus is impressive. I left before protection because they had a squall line of bad tstorms and hail coming and I had 1hr drive back.

Not as quite structured as I would have liked and they did a lot of talking but I guess maybe because it’s my first time and they wanted to fully explain- understandable.

I am just excited to do something more with Ragnar than just what I do.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

Thats good! Amazing how hard it is to find these people huh.

I had been wondering about that informal crew that was meeting up near your soccer field. Did you find out if they do anything other than bite work? People seem the most enthusiastic about that because of the ‘wow’ factor, but the tracking seems both interesting and way easier on the ear drums haha.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Ddski5

You know, I saw and met up with that guy by accident the following week and he approached me again about training Ragnar. So I stopped and entertained a conversation with him. He was highly motivated and excited but then he told me he charged $125 a session. I said nope, nope, not gonna do that....he said he would drop the price down but by then I was out of that situation.

The good thing about these new folks was that they were really interested about Ragnar and I. Asked a lot of questions and just wanted to know.....

All the females are going to a soccer tournament in Alabama so just me and the asshat this weekend. I think I will take him to see how he reacts to our new training. This is gonna be very interesting.

• Like Like x 2
  10. jazzies mum

jazzies mum Notable member

This sounds very promising! I hope you both really enjoy the experience and it turns into something regular. :thumbsup2:

• Agree Agree x 1