12 month old Doberman grunting, growling and snapping

JennieS

Jr Member
Need help!! I got my 12 mos old male Doberman about 3 months ago. I have never owned one before. There are a few things much different than I have experienced. The biggest problem I have with him is everytime i go down on the floor with to pet him or play, he grunts and moves away. He bitse alot too. Sometimes will snap at me. But then he will come up to me and lick me and play. He does this on my bed. If I move my leg or hand, he growls and leaves. I don’t know if he isn’t comfortable yet, or something happened to him. However he is still pretty young and learning. Any advise?? I want so much to cuddle with him and enjoy him. I also have a 7 year old boxer. They get along better with each other then me amd my husband. Its like he gets startled or just wants attention when he wants it.

I don’t hug him. I just try to pet him. I have owned alot of different breeds. Yes, they all have there own individual personalities. He has a great temperament and sweet. Just wanted to see of anyone else experienced this with dobermans.

Stop being on the floor with him and stop letting him on the furniture until you two develop a bond and set boundaries first. He is still relatively new to your home, they say it takes three months for them to get settled into a new home and start behaving how they normally would behave. So now that he is comfortable, boundaries need set. Some of it may be boisterous young Dobe behavior, hard to say through text without seeing it. Have you taken him to any Obedience classes? That would help start you guys off on the right foot working together as a team. He needs to learn to see you as the team leader and he can't do that without some structure. Practice NILIF, nothing in life is free. Sit (or any other command, make him work for it!) before being fed, doors opened, before getting a toy, before let out of the kennel etc. I would pick up all toys and have them come from only you. He will value them more, learn to work for them (make him work for it) and value you as the fun thing.

Ripley my girl is very much like a cat I say. She gives you love on her terms. But man, when she does...it's truly the best feeling in the world.

Hey there.

No, I haven't experienced those things, but I keep things structured and by the book, remembering the mind of the dog. Yes, we love them and they love us, and there is time for petting sessions, ear rubs, scritchin' scratchin' & soothin' but take Rits' advice above.

Thanks! Patience on my part. I haven’t had a puppy in a long time. All mine are rescues and usually adults. Hes a big goofy puppy. But I love him so much and we will get through it. 😄

I had my girl, who is a Doberman mix, from 9 weeks old and she was very independent and didn't really get snuggly at all once she gained her confidence in her new home. She grew to be very affectionate though - in a few years! The key to her heart was exciting games! More than food and comfort she appreciated playing fetch, tug, flirt pole and anything that involved excitement. When I became the provider of all that she rated me highly and now along with respect she gives me many close moments. I should also mention that there was a LOT of training going on with all that play and that helps them regard you as a reliable and adored pack leader.

Back