What Would You Do? (Dog Attack)

Maybe I'll talk with one or two of them that I know who are patrolling this district ahead of time in case they get the call so they'll be familiar with the situation.

I think that is such a good idea Mary Lou as it seems when an incident like that involves a dobe they do tend to side with the non dobe....it would be good if they knew ahead that the problem was with the non dobe !!

Good one DG....after which I would promptly put my other foot in the owners ass......

I tend to agree with you on this here.

It is not so much the fault of the dog at all. It is the fault of their owner and sometimes you got to train them also (the owner).

When I was having issues with a bad dog owner here, Repeatedly calling Animal Control and the Cops eventually trained the owner to keep his dog on a leash... When you try asking and explaining 'nicely' and that does not work, What choice do you have???

I think you are handling things the best way MLR. I hope these people get the idea and change their ways so that you and Herc can walk in peace without being attacked by untrained and off-leash dogs. :)

It is not so much the fault of the dog at all. It is the fault of their owner and sometimes you got to train them also (the owner).

BRAVO on that one......how true this is.....99.9% of the time it's not the dogs fault but the stupid owner who has no business owning a dog in the first place!!!

This is why I walk my dogs at night. Everyone in my neighborhood thinks that the leash law applies to everyone but them. So I walk my dogs at night to avoid a lot of problems. I also carry pepper spray and a breaking stick. You just have to stay calm and not to panic. Panicking only makes things worse.

I agree - carry pepper spay and a break stick - AND a cell phone, because the next time I would call the cops while you are still there. Law suit time too -

I do always have my cell phone with me; it all just happened so fast that I didn't have time to think about calling 911. We haven't gone that way since that incident but I'm building up my nerve to do so again and this time I'll be ready with my phone in my hand.

Interesting... My 6 month old Doberman Nero was attacked the first time when he was about 4 months old.

Me and Nero was participating at a training camp when the trainer's dog immediately attacked my Nero (A fully grown German Shepard 2-years old) ... He got a bite right around the nose and got Nero to fall down. I, automatically; due to panic, kicked the dog and tried sheltering him(Nero.) Which eventually got me a bite around the neck . The trainer had a hard time to control the dog until finally, he managed to put him down on the grass.

Nero got a wound on the top of his nose and a wound close to his mouth, not to mention - I had 6 stitches.

And ofcourse, the trainer offered me a free training pass for a month. No thanks.

What's wrong with people these days, and a trainer? Who helps other people with their dogs and can't even control his own? Now that can't be a good sign...

Sorry I missed this, if your going to carry anything with you just make sure you know how to use it correctly. I've seen more people pepper spray themselves and their dogs then a attacker hahahaa!!! For me to respond I need to feel my emotions at the time that will let me know how to respond. There have been times were I totally ignore the other dog and so many times the dog intruding runs away as soon as he gets a scent on what he's intruding into hahahaa!!!! My males in the past were dog agressive so any challengers were met quickly with no doubt about our reaction to them. I can think of two or three situations when I cut my dog loose before the other dog arived, one was when two dogs in an open field spread out and started moving on my don Bruto (195 lb. Great Dane) the dogs attacked him and in about 1 min. one was limping away quickly and the other layed very still a few feet away from Bruto. If you own dog agressive animals theres alot to know about before, during and after confrontations if you don't have a clue on how to hanle this kind of dog you need to get a trainer who knows the dynamics and can explain to you how to conduct yourself so that this type of dog can be understood and your lives as companions will be a sucessfull one. Von.

I dont know how i missed this either! What did you end up doing?? i would of def reported it, and only because WE have the branded breed...if you report it and got it on record and something ever happened again in the future it would be recorded at least... that way we are not at blame just cuz we got the big black dog... if anything they may of warned the people and that would HOPEFULLY cause them to be more careful. and forget pepper spray! thats to tedious to use... break out a damn tazer... i been meaning to get one for our hiking and walks.. dont want to spray myself with it like von said cuz i am freaking out, lol

just insert where the back molars are and twist gently

btw i found this interesting, not sure if in that situation i would be able to do anything gentle... lol... knowing me i would be jabbing it in the dogs eye... i am like Dam, out for blood!

btw i found this interesting, not sure if in that situation i would be able to do anything gentle... lol... knowing me i would be jabbing it in the dogs eye... i am like Dam, out for blood!
LOL how true!!

I've been lucky so far- all the aggressive dogs that have attacked have been too small to really worry about. A good swift kick is all that is needed to control the situation. I'm careful not to use excessive force however. I like the idea of carrying pepper spray and have been meaning for years to buy some. If I carried a break stick, I fear the stick would be over the attacker's head before it would be between its teeth...

Back