Should I keep posting at 9 months ?

Airam

Hi everyone ! My girl is almost 9 months and one ear seems to be done but the other just doesn’t get strong. I stopped posting her ears frequently in July because we live in the middle of the desert and her ears seemed to be getting irritated by the tape and would slip right off cause of her sweat. I also felt bad posting both her ears up because one of her ears is done . Should I continue posting? She is my first Doberman I just want to make sure I’m not giving up too early or her ears are just done . Any advice is helpful ! Thank you !cpm35 2023-07-16 185222.542.jpegIMG_8061.jpeg

When is the last time you consistently posted that right ear?

Does the ear ever go fully erect like the left ear? If so, how long?

Are the ears very strong in the morning and then weaken as the day wears or is that ear always droopy?

How long does it stay strong before it drops?

The cartilage doesn’t look to be broken or creased or else that ear would be flat and droopy. It just looks weaker than the left ear.

Either keep posting it or let it ride. Really hard to tell from here. Would need to feel the ear to see how thick the ear is and the feel of the cartilage.

I would keep going consistently since the ear looks like it's coming, but just needs a little more time.

When is the last time you consistently posted that right ear?

Does the ear ever go fully erect like the left ear? If so, how long?

Are the ears very strong in the morning and then weaken as the day wears or is that ear always droopy?

How long does it stay strong before it drops?

The cartilage doesn’t look to be broken or creased or else that ear would be flat and droopy. It just looks weaker than the left ear.

Either keep posting it or let it ride. Really hard to tell from here. Would need to feel the ear to see how thick the ear is and the feel of the cartilage.
Thank you for answering and well
Last time I consistently did both ears was in July . Her posts now probably last max of 2 days and then they will slip off cause of the sweat. Then I’ll post them again a day later.

Yes both of her ears would go fully erect right when I would take the posts off but that one ear would drop down after a couple hours.
The strong ear stays strong all day and her cartilage feels thicker on that ear but the other just goes floppy. (Hopefully I make sense)

I’ll definitely keep posting her ears for a couple more months and hopefully that one ear gets stronger :)

IMG_9043.jpegIMG_9042.jpeg

Her posts now probably last max of 2 days and then they will slip off cause of the sweat.
What kind of tape are you using? We use the Kendall porous tape and it stays on for many days, even in our heat and humidity.

Yes, keep posting. You need to use a different tape. It should not slip off... Kendall or Zonas tape stays even through the humidity. Btw, dogs only sweat through their paws! It is very humid here in Northern Indiana, like a jungle... we use Kendall tape and it will hold for a week or more but I never post longer than a week.

What kind of tape are you using? We use the Kendall porous tape and it stays on for many days, even in our heat and humidity.
I’ve been using the black sports tape . It worked really well in the beginning but it won’t stay on for long now . I’ll definitely buy the Kendall porous tape and give it a try thank you :)cpm35 2023-08-13 002340.313.jpeg

Yes, keep posting. You need to use a different tape. It should not slip off... Kendall or Zonas tape stays even through the humidity. Btw, dogs only sweat through their paws! It is very humid here in Northern Indiana, like a jungle... we use Kendall tape and it will hold for a week or more but I never post longer than a week.
I was using black sports tape but I’m going to definitely buy the Kendall tape and give it a try :) thank you

Yes.
Sports/athletic tape is horrible. I started with that and it was a mess. Extremely hard to use this stuff as support and to shape. I switched to Johnson &Johnson zonas tape and it made a world of difference.

Your new pictures show her ears definitely have the ability to achieve position. Holding it for only two hours means it’s not strong enough yet to be independent from the post. Keep posting those ears!!

Not to be mean but honest…your lack of consistency when posting is not allowing that ear to become strong. The longer you let it out of post and allow it to flop, the more (days/weeks) it is backsliding on the time table.

When posting, put up in post for 3-5 days and when changing/cleaning, only allow ears out for 1hr- then back up in post they go.

Both of my Dobermans had a lazy left ear and took me longer with posting- then went to breathe rite strips.

Good luck.

Yes.
Sports/athletic tape is horrible. I started with that and it was a mess. Extremely hard to use this stuff as support and to shape. I switched to Johnson &Johnson zonas tape and it made a world of difference.

Your new pictures show her ears definitely have the ability to achieve position. Holding it for only two hours means it’s not strong enough yet to be independent from the post. Keep posting those ears!!

Not to be mean but honest…your lack of consistency when posting is not allowing that ear to become strong. The longer you let it out of post and allow it to flop, the more (days/weeks) it is backsliding on the time table.

When posting, put up in post for 3-5 days and when changing/cleaning, only allow ears out for 1hr- then back up in post they go.

Both of my Dobermans had a lazy left ear and took me longer with posting- then went to breathe rite strips.

Good luck.
Thank you so much !

Back