Ear post question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone,
We are new to posting ears, we’ve had Dobermans before, but their ears were posted and standing when we adopted them. We recently got a new dobie puppy, she’s 11 weeks old and had her ears done at 8 weeks old, we’ve had her a week and have only just started posting, we’ve seen so many methods on posting, and opted to use the backer rod method with a bridge until she’s holding the base of her ears on her own and a bumper to help with any pockets, question is, after the post is inserted and before we tape, I’ve read to fold the front part of the ear over the rod, and then I’ve read to fold it away from the rod to get a sleeker look. I’ve only posted her once for 3 full days and I had the ear going with the rod, but I’m curious if I should be doing it the other way? I don’t want to mess up a beautiful crop.
She seems to have decent hold after just the 3 days, if I make a high pitched noise, she holds the up well, so I’m unsure how long to continue using the bridge as well?
Thanks for any advice
pic of her ears after her first posting…View attachment 136812

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230925-214754~2.png
    Screenshot_20230925-214754~2.png
    301.5 KB · Views: 3
Good question.

No worries.
That’s a natural ear crease for when they are in relax mode. Thank you!!!
Thank you so much!! I just wasn’t sure if it was indeed a natural crease or if I needed to try and correct it, but I certainly didn’t want to try and “fix something that wasn’t broke” lol thanks so much for the clarification. I really appreciate all your help 😊

Fold with the natural fold, in the direction of the arrows
Hi Jolene,
Thank you 😊
We did change the direction of the folds, her ears are coming along beautifully, about another month or two left of posting and then she should be all done! Yay!
Here is a pic of her in between her postings :)

Attachments

• IMG_0803.jpeg
    IMG_0803.jpeg
    35 KB · Views: 1
What a pretty girl and the ears are off to a good start.

The fold goes to the back, like the natural fold does.

I only use it the first time or two of posting, then they have enough control to keep them up themselves.

Here are a couple posting tutorials that might help.

I am sorry but I don't understand the obsession with ear posting. It clearly hurts your dog and there is no point to it. Why would you cause your dog so much pain? Please explain. I have a beautiful doberman, he is just fine with his natural ears and tail

I am sorry but I don't understand the obsession with ear posting. It clearly hurts your dog and there is no point to it. Why would you cause your dog so much pain? Please explain. I have a beautiful doberman, he is just fine with his natural ears and tail
Ear posting is not painful or harmful to the dog. Cropped ears (and docked tails) are part of the breed standard for Dobermans in the US, therefore breeders will have the puppies cropped before going to their new homes.

You were asked to drop the debate on ear cropping/docking. This is a US based forum. Ear cropping and docking is part of the doberman breed standard which is the standard for the breed we love here. No argument.
Ear posting is not painful or harmful to the dog. Cropped ears (and docked tails) are part of the breed standard for Dobermans in the US, therefore breeders will have the puppies cropped before going to their new homes.
How can you say it isn't painful for the dog? Just look at some of the photos on the forum of those pups with sore and infected ears. Then imagine those were your ears, or your child's, it would hurt, right? I don't understand why anyone who loves Doberman's or any dog would subject them to this cruelty. Why is it the breed standard? The breed standard is floppy ears and a long tail - like nature intended.
I love my Doberman. This forum has a lot of good information, but ear posting should not be allowed, it's animal cruelty.

How can you say it isn't painful for the dog? Just look at some of the photos on the forum of those pups with sore and infected ears. Then imagine those were your ears, or your child's, it would hurt, right? I don't understand why anyone who loves Doberman's or any dog would subject them to this cruelty. Why is it the breed standard? The breed standard is floppy ears and a long tail - like nature intended.
I love my Doberman. This forum has a lot of good information, but ear posting should not be allowed, it's animal cruelty.
Posting itself is not painful. It is a piece of foam and some athletic tape. Any dog can get ear infections, regardless if they were cropped or not.

I appreciate your opinions. Everyone here is also welcome to their opinions and in the U.S. this is an accepted procedure and when done properly and cared for properly there are not usually any problems. Please refrain from making this a debate. There are other places on the internet for that. We welcome you to conversations that do not send discord to people for their personal beliefs.

So I will give you my honest legitimate answer in case you actually want to learn something. If you do not and want to continue on expressing your dislike of crop/dock, then you will not have the privilege of having an educated conversation.

The history of the Doberman begins with a tax collector that needed protection from being robbed. He developed the breed for a reason, a purpose other than being Fido the couch dog. The Doberman protected him as he went door to door collect the daily/weekly taxes.

The main reason why the Doberman was/is cropped and docked is to prevent the would be robber/criminal from grabbing his ears and tail. You see the ears, in a natural state, are very large and floppy. The tail is long and thin and easily susceptible to bone breakage and injury. Having either one of these, for a criminal to have access to, would be highly detrimental to the purpose of the Doberman in being a true “guardian and protector”. So Herr Doberman was actually being proactive with his love of the Doberman; he figured out ways to make his Doberman faster and more elusive to prevent harm/injury.

Now, why do I want this? I don’t walk the slums and collect taxes.
1. Because I want to, I have always been enamored and admired the look of a powerful Doberman. The look of steadfast intensity that makes people shit in their pants at first glance. People cross the street, make a hole or stop and stare in awe of the stoic regal presence of my Doberman and yes….the crop/dock has a lot to do with this. I can promise you that everybody in a 3mile radius knows that I have a Doberman in my house, she travels with me often in my truck and she patrols our yard/house.
2. Because that’s what a Doberman is to me. When I think of a Doberman, he/she is cropped/docked. Not floppy ears with a long thin tail.
3. The same reason on what Herr Doberman intended from the beginning…to prevent criminals or would be attackers from gaining advantage on my Doberman.

Let me ask you this…If you have a Doberman with natural long ears and long tail and your purpose of him was to protect your family….A criminal breaks into your home, your Doberman attacks the criminal but the criminal grabs him by his large floppy ears and long tail, body slams him on the floor and kills your Doberman. Then proceeds to assault your 2 little girls and then you. What was the purpose of your Doberman?? to be a couch Lassie or a fantastic Fido???

-You have your reasons and I have mine.

I can assure you my Freyja endured more discomfort from her spay surgery than being cropped and docked.

I can also assure you that my past Doberman Ragnar endured more discomfort from being neutered than being cropped and docked.

You are cutting your dogs ears. It may not be the fleshy part, but it still hurts. I don't understand why it needs to be done at all
because it is the breed standard, written as Herr Dobermann intended. The doberman is to have erect ears and docked tail and poured into the skin as to not have any flappy or loose bits for someone intending to hurt Herr when he came to collect their taxes. The standard is written and is there to preserve the breed. The breed standard is not optional for those of us that desire to preserve and support the preservation of the breed. Change one part, you change it all and then there is no point to a breed standard, no point to a breed. But there is a point to breeds so we breed to standard.

Ear cropping is done under anesthesia. Once awake, the puppies are right back to playing and wrestling with their littermates. They do not notice nor care.

You should find this informative:

Locking thread, there is no more to be discussed on ear cropping vs not. That was not the purpose of this thread. @DobieJo our apologies. We will unlock this thread in the future or feel free to start a new one if you need feedback again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back