• Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”

Re-Hydrating dog kibble.

Well Iposted some pics of him in the picture forum.
Now that I am rehydrating Ive noticed he is starting to eat more grass, usually after dinner...like 2 hrs later. :mad:

I think Id like to still try a different food. His bowel movements are good right now, so its a good time to see if he can benefit with another.

Ive heard the Acana Grasslands (grain free) is working well with some dogs. Met a woman the other night in my neighbour hood who was just visiting. She got her dobe from a place I've seen mentioned here I believe...starts with an R..Ravailance Dobes or something...anyway she told me she had all the same problems like Axl and started feeding him this. He was doing well. He looked good.

The other one frm Acana is called Lamb and Apple. It has 'steamed oats' which they claim are low glycemic and low allergen. This diet is used for very sensitive dogs. It sounds really good with mid range of protein and fat. Im just a little nervous with the oats. Any suggestions in trying this?

The Grasslands is Lamb, duck and fish...obviously higher in protein and fat.
I looked up the new Natural Balance 'Alpha' food coming out and it looks pretty good...grain free too.

Any thoughts?:scratch:

Welcome to the board Melinda!

What are you feeding your pup now, and how old is he/she?

Hi All,

Well an update on Axl....sorry its been a busy summer and not on here much.

Axl could not eat the Acana at all. So he went back on TOTW Salmon...but he gets goopy eyes on it..so I tried to mix in the Canidae by the Sea..I believe with Salmon, gluten free as well. ONce he was almost at 100 percent he started going soft again..But his coat is beautiful, which I didnt see on the TOTW alone..SO I went back to 50/50 and he is doing ok, but still eating grass. So I started investigating again, about soluble and insoluble fibre..which is the sticks and grass that he eats like dinner..lol. Insoluble is undigestable, which seems to help either push the food thru faster, or a dog will eat it to sooth whatever is bothering his tummy. Soluble hangs around longer in the digestive....SOOOO...I started giving cooked sweet potatoe, and I noticed a change..as (from what I read) soluble foods will sooth..I also started giving very well cooked brown rice ( a tablespoon only) into his food and at first he shook his body alot, like when they shake when wet..I believe it is when their ears are bothering them.(my dog anyway).so I cut back and now he seems to be doing ok at the moment..I tried the mashed pumpkin..he seems to go a little soft on that even though information tells me it helps with hardening up stools.
Then I found Baby Food on sale..all natural puried sweet potatoe. Oh my god they love it! Sweet Potatoe and Turkey, and Banana and Apples...there are so many to choose from. And all it takes is a tablespoon in his food. 85 cents and 95 cents...Im so happy. Of course they still get meat and the Nupro supplement once a week. Sheesh...finally getting some peace around here. I get so many compliments from the neighbourhood on how great his coat looks..It does look like I shilacked him:). And he is not trying to eat the lawn like a cow. Just wish I could get a little more weight on him. Just can't over feed him..I know he wants more, but I've been there done that...he will get the poops. He's eating almost 4 cups a day including add-ins. And he is now 17 months old. 29" at the withers. He is the type that if u left the dog food container open he would just keep eating until he passed out. Not sure if there are Gluten Free Satin Balls? I need to go weight him at the vet. He was only 66 or so pounds at a 1 year old. He does run a lot now, like almost every night, and is playing fetch finally. He looks good just on the thin side.:blah:

I'm glad things have improved so much for you! Just goes to show what your research and experimentation can do. :thumbsup:

Back