New puppy this week ear question

MichiH

Hot Topics Subscriber
Hi,

I’m new here and I’m getting my Doberman girl this week! I grew up with Dobermans, but I was a kid and don’t recall the ear care.

So my new puppy had her ears cropped at 8 weeks. They’re currently hanging down when I see pictures of her.

So my question is: Do they hang free after cropping and for how long?

Thank you.

Yes, some breeders put them in cones with edges exposed or they can just hang. They can't be posted & taped until the edges are healed and the stitches come out, usually at about 10 days after surgery.

Welcome from New Mexico, and congratulations on your new puppy! Hopefully your breeder will be helpful in explaining about posting. Go through all the posts here under Puppies related to posting. There are different ways, but by far the backer-rod method is most popular. Good to watch the videos, get an idea of what is involved, and pick up all your supplies so you are ready when your puppy arrives!

Yes, some breeders put them in cones with edges exposed or they can just hang. They can't be posted & taped until the edges are healed and the stitches come out, usually at about 10 days after surgery.

Welcome from New Mexico, and congratulations on your new puppy! Hopefully your breeder will be helpful in explaining about posting. Go through all the posts here under Puppies related to posting. There are different ways, but by far the backer-rod method is most popular. Good to watch the videos, get an idea of what is involved, and pick up all your supplies so you are ready when your puppy arrives!
Thank you! I really appreciate the information.

Will get new vet remove the stitches?

Welcome from SE Alabama! Congratulations on your new pup!

As far as a new vet taking out stitches, I've found that most vets don't approve of cropping and will not do any after care on them. So I would recommend calling and asking first.

Thank you!

That was my thought most won’t agree with the cropping.

Do people remove them themselves?

Do people remove them themselves?
Yes some people do as long as the timing is right.

We have a couple step by step tutorials in the puppy section on posting and we're happy to answer any questions when you are able to start posting.

Welcome from Minnesota!

new vet remove the stitches?
Is it possible for your breeder to keep the pup through to removing stitches? It's usually only 10 days after surgery. Many breeders won't release puppies until the stitches are out, and when you pick your puppy up they've done the first posting for you so you can see how it's done. It isn't difficult to remove the stitches yourself, but you should have enough knowledge to know if the ear is healed completely before doing so, and/or if there is any infection going on.

Also since you live in a pretty populated area, if you look for veterinarians that offer reproductive services, those usually have a vested interest in show dogs. Dobermans aren't the only breed to crop, dock and remove dew claws, so they should be open to that. Thought this might help you in your search to seek out a vet for your pup.

Is it possible for your breeder to keep the pup through to removing stitches? It's usually only 10 days after surgery. Many breeders won't release puppies until the stitches are out, and when you pick your puppy up they've done the first posting for you so you can see how it's done. It isn't difficult to remove the stitches yourself, but you should have enough knowledge to know if the ear is healed completely before doing so, and/or if there is any infection going on.

Also since you live in a pretty populated area, if you look for veterinarians that offer reproductive services, those usually have a vested interest in show dogs. Dobermans aren't the only breed to crop, dock and remove dew claws, so they should be open to that. Thought this might help you in your search to seek out a vet for your pup.
Thank you! Helpful information. I did find a vet I really like and used when I had my cat, they’ll care for her ears. Whew what a relief.

I’ll be back with more questions I’m sure!

Thanks!

Yes some people do as long as the timing is right.

We have a couple step by step tutorials in the puppy section on posting and we're happy to answer any questions when you are able to start posting.

Welcome from Minnesota!
Thank you! Appreciate your advice.

Having a hard time posting Peopers ears. She hates it. I get her sleepy and have treats. She wiggles and tries to leave and I feel horrible. Any suggestions how to make this better for her and I? I have my son as my helper , but he gets upset and I understand.

Also, a ton of earwax on her tampon posts. Posts were like brown gunk, wet, and melted looking when removed. Smelly too, but dobie smelly. No visible infection. I did have her ears irrigated last week and let them dry for days before posting. Vet said discharge and dried blood in them from cropping.
So then we all are upset! Thank you.

Any suggestions how to make this better for her and I? I have my son as my helper , but he gets upset and I understand.
Both you and your son have to relax and make it a calming, pleasant experience for her. None of our dogs have had any trouble with it and in fact they almost fall asleep in your lap.

The ear wax is very normal. As long as it doesn't smell offensive like infection and only smells like... Dog then you are ok. It should happen less as time goes on.

Having a hard time posting Peopers ears. She hates it. I get her sleepy and have treats. She wiggles and tries to leave and I feel horrible. Any suggestions how to make this better for her and I? I have my son as my helper , but he gets upset and I understand.

Also, a ton of earwax on her tampon posts. Posts were like brown gunk, wet, and melted looking when removed. Smelly too, but dobie smelly. No visible infection. I did have her ears irrigated last week and let them dry for days before posting. Vet said discharge and dried blood in them from cropping.
So then we all are upset! Thank you.
Okay…
Both of my Dobermans had brown/black smelly gunk on the bottom of the backer rod. I believe this is normal ear waste residue- no worries there.

One of the first and foremost laws of owning a Doberman is to establish that you are master, the owner, the rule maker, the alpha, the giver of good things, etc…I don’t care what anybody wants to call it, you must establish that he will respect and listen to you. One of the great things of posting your Doberman is that through this, you begin to establish your presence of being the master and Peppers learns his role and expectations.

Go to the search and put in posting ears….there is a ton of information on here.

Here is a past post I wrote a while back.

Okay…
Both of my Dobermans had brown/black smelly gunk on the bottom of the backer rod. I believe this is normal ear waste residue- no worries there.

One of the first and foremost laws of owning a Doberman is to establish that you are master, the owner, the rule maker, the alpha, the giver of good things, etc…I don’t care what anybody wants to call it, you must establish that he will respect and listen to you. One of the great things of posting your Doberman is that through this, you begin to establish your presence of being the master and Peppers learns his role and expectations.

Go to the search and put in posting ears….there is a ton of information on here.

Wow thank you. I have the same feelings being a newbie. Thank you!!! Great post!

Wow thank you. I have the same feelings being a newbie. Thank you!!! Great post!
Okay…

Also, she itches the ears a lot right after. I can get to her to make her stop, but wondering if I need a cone? I rather not, but also don’t want her tearing her ears up.

As stated above, this is a learning curve for puppy and people. Keep it relaxed and fun. The most helpful thing I ever learned (maybe you are already doing this) is put the puppy on a table or washer/dryer. Perfect height for your comfort and puts puppy out of their comfort zone. They become more still and you aren't kneeling/bending over/looming large over the pup.

I will say my terribly belligerent puppy learned to love the ear work. The cleaning with swabs, everything. To this day, if she sees me get out the Qtips and alcohol and cotton balls, she comes and plants her head in my lap to "get done". I mean, just cleaning, we haven't posted in 3 1/2 years. :rofl: But seriously, it's not easy the first few times, but it does get easier, I promise.❤️

she itches the ears a lot right after. I can get to her to make her stop, but wondering if I need a cone
No on the cone - it's just one more thing to deal with. Time your posting with the ability to do some fun training with treats or a ball or a toy interaction to get her attention shifted to play/fun/food. If she goes to scratch, do an excited play thing: OH MY, LOOKIE HERE! I HAVE YOUR BALL! oooohhh, there it goes across the rooooommmm! hahaha, you gotta have fun with it.

As stated above, this is a learning curve for puppy and people. Keep it relaxed and fun. The most helpful thing I ever learned (maybe you are already doing this) is put the puppy on a table or washer/dryer. Perfect height for your comfort and puts puppy out of their comfort zone. They become more still and you aren't kneeling/bending over/looming large over the pup.

I will say my terribly belligerent puppy learned to love the ear work. The cleaning with swabs, everything. To this day, if she sees me get out the Qtips and alcohol and cotton balls, she comes and plants her head in my lap to "get done". I mean, just cleaning, we haven't posted in 3 1/2 years. :rofl: But seriously, it's not easy the first few times, but it does get easier, I promise.❤️
Thank you ☺️ I can only wish she’ll love it!

I do use my dinning room table and her crazy butt tries to jump off 😩 I tire her out have treats and still she’s wired.

She’s obsessed with my husband playing guitar I think I may have him do that while my son helps me.

Again thank you!!!

No on the cone - it's just one more thing to deal with. Time your posting with the ability to do some fun training with treats or a ball or a toy interaction to get her attention shifted to play/fun/food. If she goes to scratch, do an excited play thing: OH MY, LOOKIE HERE! I HAVE YOUR BALL! oooohhh, there it goes across the rooooommmm! hahaha, you gotta have fun with it.
Ok cool I don’t want a cone at all.

I will work more on distractions because i I remove her paw from ear girl gets super angry haha.

Again thank you ☺️❤️

Back