• Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”

My 13 month doberman keeps attacking dogs

Proper e-collar training does not involve just putting it on a dog and waiting until he does the wrong thing and pushing buttons. This is a communication language that he must first learn without distractions and you must know and understand the dogs drives and what stimulates him and what will disengage him. This particular dog is not so much engaging in a dog fight to prove dominance, as the dogs are more cat size and he could kill them in less than 5 seconds. Proper training would lead to respecting you and your commands being more meaningful than carrying out his intention of killing the little dogs. You must become more important to him than his "dogs are dogs" instincts.
especially SSA that's hormonally-driven.
SSA is seen even in 2 spayed bitches or 2 neutered dogs. Or with one intact and one not.

Thank you for your advice and insight it is very helpful. Although I have owned dogs my whole life, this is my first working breed dog so all advice is very much appreciated. We have kept them completely separated and will have to continue to do so it seems. I don’t think based on the information provided that I can ever risk something like this happening again. I am incredibly attached to the Pomeranian and can’t bare the thought of rehousing him especially at his age. Perhaps it is selfish of me but will have to take some time to really think about best course of action long term. With your experience in dobermans are there any other signs I should look out for when it comes to aggression? In regards to re direction, what would be the best way in preventing this. E collars are not available in the UK and we are only able to use prong collars. It was so quick the attack with no build up. I didn’t think he would be so unpredictable.
I was reading through the answers, and your comments about no warning rang familiar. Our female will be 2 in January. She adores my husband and they play very rough. She will pretend not to look at him, be quite still and pounce ( only in play). She is smart and she is strong. If she wanted to hurt something, she could. She has learned a STOP command. If she acknowledges the command by hesitation, but persists in some way, the e-collar reinforces the command when her drive is already interrupted. That said, I remember one of our GS mix farm dogs that became proficient in killing ground hogs, and could kill them with one shake. I doubt your Pom could survive a practiced attack. That shake is in his DNA. Good luck!

Back