Is this normal? Puppy tantrum

MichiH

Hot Topics Subscriber
We were just in the car to get my boys from school.

Totally normal day. Play, training, food, walks, naps, potty before the car ride. The ride is not long and we were not waiting long.

I did take Pepper out of the car and held her for a bit so she could check the scenery. I put her back in the car, myself too.

She then lost it biting at me, growling a loud gurggle and coming back at me. I’d reprimand her NO BITE held her muzzle since that seems to work. She kept going. She finally calmed down. I have plenty of things for her to chew in the car those weren’t cutting it either.

Boys get in the car and she was happy to see them. My oldest who she’s always fine with got in the seat next to her. She went off on him same thing she was doing to me. I had to take care of her, raise my voice in a stern manner and hold her in a position with my arm so she wouldn’t bite or go after him or myself.

It was so strange and I am not sure why it happened.

Maybe she was pissed we didn’t stay outside of the car?

As for the UTI no issues peeing her bed this week and using the potty is normal. No accidents at all. Not seeming to be in pain.

Just wondering what you guys think? It was like a possession that came on quick and ended quick. Scared my boys though.

Yup, those puppy tantrums. That's where it's nice to have a crate in the vehicle so she can argue with herself if she's in a mood.

Our pups are 16 months and 10 months and even though they were/are good pups, having two so close in age can be a challenge at times. I'm so glad that they've grown out of many of those puppy antics, aside from stealing an occasional pen off my desk or something minor like that.

Your girl is going to be entering the teenage phase so she's going to try to challenge you for a while now.

Yup, those puppy tantrums. That's where it's nice to have a crate in the vehicle so she can argue with herself if she's in a mood.

Our pups are 16 months and 10 months and even though they were/are good pups, having two so close in age can be a challenge at times. I'm so glad that they've grown out of many of those puppy antics, aside from stealing an occasional pen off my desk or something minor like that.

Your girl is going to be entering the teenage phase so she's going to try to challenge you for a while now.
Yes, a car crate is coming next. I told my husband the one I want and we are getting it soon! She isn’t great in the car, but today was NOT cool. I told her your butt will be in a crate soon this isn’t ok. Haha.

I didn’t know what to do since I had the boys and she was being a major jerk. Never bites my oldest Clif and chopped him hard today. I added fuel to the fire, now that I found that older thread, I shouldn’t have done that. Good to know and thank you!!!

Teenage phase yikes already… my baby. Our sweet lull didn’t last long haha. She has lost 6 teeth so she’s growing fast!

I’m over like we’ve had such a great day, no reaction on our walks! So we will go surprise the boys today. Ummm maybe scare the boys haha instead.

Thank you Jan! I would be 100 percent lost without this Forum and you all.

I don’t recall any of this as a kid at all and I have a good memory from those days. I’m like darn what happened to my puppy she is the 👿 For no reason!

Teenage phase yikes already… my baby.
It's normally at around 7 months but it started earlier with our pups from this breeder and the good news is that they got through it faster too.

Was she lunging at you and biting or was she playing? I'm conflicted based on some other instances of you saying she has growled and bit. There's play biting and then there's reactive behavioral biting. What do you mean she "went off on him" in regards to your son? Can you describe her body language before during and after?

How old are your boys?
Do they have the ability to take charge when she becomes unruly?

Because some time or another they need to take charge so they can establish being higher than her in the pack order.

I know some folks don’t believe in being the alpha and the hierarchy of pack order in the household. When I had Ragnar, my three daughters were 18, 16, and 13. He was my first Doberman and a beast, it was all new to me too. He absolutely knew and treated them as equals. You could see it in his actions and demeanor. My girls did not want to but I made them train him with me. Then once they became involved they always wanted to help out. Ragnar started seeing them in a different manner.

Was she lunging at you and biting or was she playing? I'm conflicted based on some other instances of you saying she has growled and bit. There's play biting and then there's reactive behavioral biting. What do you mean she "went off on him" in regards to your son? Can you describe her body language before during and after?
She was in the car so wasn’t lunging,but was coming back at me after I reprimanded her.
She started after I put her back in the car. She went to bite my hair when I was seated in the front seat.
Then my youngest got in and she was happy to see him. My oldest got in next to her and she was sweet then started to bite his shirt. When I would reprimand her she’d get more aggressive. She was making noises I haven’t heard her make yet. Like a high pitch growl and grumble. She did she pissed.

How old are your boys?
Do they have the ability to take charge when she becomes unruly?

Because some time or another they need to take charge so they can establish being higher than her in the pack order.

I know some folks don’t believe in being the alpha and the hierarchy of pack order in the household. When I had Ragnar, my three daughters were 18, 16, and 13. He was my first Doberman and a beast, it was all new to me too. He absolutely knew and treated them as equals. You could see it in his actions and demeanor. My girls did not want to but I made them train him with me. Then once they became involved they always wanted to help out. Ragnar started seeing them in a different manner.
14 and almost 12. Bigger boys and not push overs. My oldest she doesn’t mess with much besides today. My youngest she does give him a hard time, but not today. He does help me with training and when I ask he’ll help out.

She’s really sweet as can be typically. This outburst was different and strange.

I do NILF with her, hand feed, and we train a lot and play with training.

I’m hoping a tantrum I can handle that.

She does accept my husband as alpha I believe. I don’t know why. I do all the work with her. I even have to really shut her down when she bites me, it’s play bites, besides today, but she won’t stop play bites. Muzzle hold works for most part of time out then she’s kisses and sorry.

She was in the car so wasn’t lunging,but was coming back at me after I reprimanded her.
She started after I put her back in the car. She went to bite my hair when I was seated in the front seat.
Then my youngest got in and she was happy to see him. My oldest got in next to her and she was sweet then started to bite his shirt. When I would reprimand her she’d get more aggressive. She was making noises I haven’t heard her make yet. Like a high pitch growl and grumble. She did she pissed.
Ok that sounds like naughty prey drive with the hair biting and shirt biting! I was a little worried you had a behavioral issue on your hand.

A crate would be a good idea. You have little to no control of her in a car and it's a bit unsafe for her to be loose anyways so good that you are getting her one! She sees you guys as play things that she can chew and take her frustrations out on. Have a toy you can shove into her mouth when she goes to bite you and say yes, good girl while she engages the toy.

Ok that sounds like naughty prey drive with the hair biting and shirt biting! I was a little worried you had a behavioral issue on your hand.

A crate would be a good idea. You have little to no control of her in a car and it's a bit unsafe for her to be loose anyways so good that you are getting her one! She sees you guys as play things that she can chew and take her frustrations out on. Have a toy you can shove into her mouth when she goes to bite you and say yes, good girl while she engages the toy.
I think so as she seems like she’s playing when she bites me over and over. It’s only me though! I am with her for the most part all the time. Husband working and boys in school.
We’ve started downtime after we have a play session or training session.
Agree, to the crate she needs it and it’s safe too.
Today though was weird and I think she was pissed I didn’t let her down on the grass, we went in the car instead. Then she wasn’t allowed to horse around with the boys when they got it, so again she got crazy.

I think so as she seems like she’s playing when she bites me over and over. It’s only me though! I am with her for the most part all the time. Husband working and boys in school.
We’ve started downtime after we have a play session or training session.
Agree, to the crate she needs it and it’s safe too.
Today though was weird and I think she was pissed I didn’t let her down on the grass, we went in the car instead. Then she wasn’t allowed to horse around with the boys when they got it, so again she got crazy.
She doesn't think like that "you didn't let me down so now I bite you!" she does however have energy that needs expended and when it's not, they become pent up and much more bitey. Maybe some brain work before she goes to help pick up your kids to tire her out a little more? If they are over tired they can be naughty too so make sure she is getting put down for a nap many times throughout the day. Puppies need up to 18-20 hours of sleep a day!

She doesn't think like that "you didn't let me down so now I bite you!" she does however have energy that needs expended and when it's not, they become pent up and much more bitey. Maybe some brain work before she goes to help pick up your kids to tire her out a little more? If they are over tired they can be naughty too so make sure she is getting put down for a nap many times throughout the day. Puppies need up to 18-20 hours of sleep a day!
Great advice as always thank you ☺️

If they are over tired they can be naughty too so make sure she is getting put down for a nap many times throughout the day. Puppies need up to 18-20 hours of sleep a day!
As I was reading through this, I kept thinking Cranky Puppy Needs a Nap!

Another hard lesson learned by me too late - I witnessed the tantrums and could not wrap my head around it, but I was letting her sleep if she was tired and letting her play if she was not. I figured "nature knows best". But high wired puppies missed that gene. They don't want to turn off. Big fear of missing out. Fighting sleep. You being a mom, if your kids weren't like this as babies, you probably knew some young mom that was dealing with it. Some go down easy for a nap and some protest. But I'd for sure continue with that crating plan you talked about earlier. A forced nap in a crate. Does she sleep in a crate at night? Use that night time crate, with a blanket over it for added dark & quiet. Walk out without any fanfare or talk and close the door to that room. Good news is, that they should get over this temper tantrum phase, if that's what it is. Sounds like it to me.The "terrible twos" are around 3 - 6 months in a Doberman puppy. Then they skip the delightful elementary age and go straight to rebellious teenagers. :rofl: Hang on to your hat, it's going to be a bumpy ride! Seriously, you did everything right, you let her know she had crossed you boundaries, she had a tantrum, but she didn't come away thinking she'd won. Enforce rest daily and I'm betting you see much less of this.

As I was reading through this, I kept thinking Cranky Puppy Needs a Nap!

Another hard lesson learned by me too late - I witnessed the tantrums and could not wrap my head around it, but I was letting her sleep if she was tired and letting her play if she was not. I figured "nature knows best". But high wired puppies missed that gene. They don't want to turn off. Big fear of missing out. Fighting sleep. You being a mom, if your kids weren't like this as babies, you probably knew some young mom that was dealing with it. Some go down easy for a nap and some protest. But I'd for sure continue with that crating plan you talked about earlier. A forced nap in a crate. Does she sleep in a crate at night? Use that night time crate, with a blanket over it for added dark & quiet. Walk out without any fanfare or talk and close the door to that room. Good news is, that they should get over this temper tantrum phase, if that's what it is. Sounds like it to me.The "terrible twos" are around 3 - 6 months in a Doberman puppy. Then they skip the delightful elementary age and go straight to rebellious teenagers. :rofl: Hang on to your hat, it's going to be a bumpy ride! Seriously, you did everything right, you let her know she had crossed you boundaries, she had a tantrum, but she didn't come away thinking she'd won. Enforce rest daily and I'm betting you see much less of this.
Appreciate all of this 👆🙌

Noticed a lot more of her teeth are missing too.
Yes, in a crate for naps and nighttime. Willingly goes into her crate to sleep or relax.

Good ideas to start using too, thank you!

Back