Introducing Crank!

JennG

Hot Topics Subscriber
Brought home our new little guy today! 🖤

Introducing Crank Sparkman. (My husband picked the name, I just agreed to it. 😉)
20240320_111413.jpg

He's 7 weeks old today and weighing in at 12 ½ lbs. As far as we've been told, he's 100% European.

Just like June, we'll be keeping his ears uncropped and we decided against having his tail docked as well. I know it's not the breed standard, but we don't plan on breeding him and he isn't being placed in any sort of competitions/shows. I wouldn't ever tell anyone they couldn't or shouldn't crop & dock, so I'm hoping that everyone respects our decision to not crop & dock.

His first introductions with June (our almost 3 y/o female Dobe) have gone pretty well. She's very uninterested in him, but I'm perfectly content with peaceful coexistence right now.

Looks like he's. total sweetheart from this photo! Bet he grows up handsome!

I respect everyones wishes about crop & dock, everyone should have a choice and respect each others decisions. It's only the people who think their way is the ONLY way that get me cross.

Best wishes with your new family member - keep us posted with photos and his antics that are sure to happen with June!

What a handsome little guy! :congrats:
I respect everyones wishes about crop & dock, everyone should have a choice and respect each others decisions. It's only the people who think their way is the ONLY way that get me cross.
My thoughts exactly!

I wouldn't ever tell anyone they couldn't or shouldn't crop & dock, so I'm hoping that everyone respects our decision to not crop & dock.
Won’t hear anything from us…your Doberman, your decision. Some of the most magnificent looking Dobermans I’ve seen are not cropped.

Make sure to give a quality all stages food, don’t mean to be critical, just informative…is his right leg trying to knuckle over?

Precious picture….

If he is 100% Euro, then be prepared for one day your husband may say, “damn, the name Crank really fits him well”.

I should've known that the actual Doberman owners would be supportive and respectful. I've gotten a lot of push back from people that feel the need to tell me that they don't like the look of Dobermans with a long tail and floppy ears. My response has just become "Well, it's a good thing this isn't your puppy."

Make sure to give a quality all stages food, don’t mean to be critical, just informative…is his right leg trying to knuckle over?

I was thinking his front legs are looking a little off and his rear legs look a little bowed too. He was being fed some large breed puppy food from a local big box store. (Of course his serving size wasn't being measured to begin with and as the biggest in the litter he was taking more than his fair share. 🤦🏻‍♀️) He had his first check-up at the vet this morning and she said nothing was too concerning and it should sort itself out. 🤷🏻‍♀️

I'm switching him over to Grandma Mae's All Stages Food, Salmon and Whitefish protein sources. This was the available brand that had the best reviews on dogfoodadvisor.com and June's been doing really well on it for the past few months after making the switch from Purina PP.

If you have any other suggestions or input, I'm all ears.

Congratulations! He will probably live up to his name, which I love by the way! :love:

I live in Australia and we only see cropped and docked Dobermans if they are imported, so it is usual to me. They are the same dog regardless and all beautiful. Beware that whippy tail though. I have had a few sore eyes and one black eye from a very happy tail! :rofl:

Congratulations he is adorable!!! Love him and his name too! 🖤🤎

No judgement at all and sadly we are damned if we do and damned if we don’t. Your Doberman you do what you want. So ignore those who want to give their stupid 2 cents. It’s your baby boy! ❤️

Enjoy and have fun!!! I miss that puppy stage already 😍

I totally agree! Let people choose wether to crop and dock, or not. You can have your own opinion, but there's no need for those people to try to shove their beliefs down pur throats. Mine isn't cropped or docked, but I still agree with it.

Brought home our new little guy today! 🖤

Introducing Crank Sparkman. (My husband picked the name, I just agreed to it. 😉)
View attachment 144811

He's 7 weeks old today and weighing in at 12 ½ lbs. As far as we've been told, he's 100% European.

Just like June, we'll be keeping his ears uncropped and we decided against having his tail docked as well. I know it's not the breed standard, but we don't plan on breeding him and he isn't being placed in any sort of competitions/shows. I wouldn't ever tell anyone they couldn't or shouldn't crop & dock, so I'm hoping that everyone respects our decision to not crop & dock.

His first introductions with June (our almost 3 y/o female Dobe) have gone pretty well. She's very uninterested in him, but I'm perfectly content with peaceful coexistence right now.
What a cute and handsome boy! ❤

CRANK SPARKMAN!!!! I absolutely love it! :congrats: He is adorable! I like your decision to not crop/dock. I sometimes lament that we can't have it both ways because I am fond of both. You're going to all have so much fun with each other!

Just a little Crank update:

20240321_103848.jpg

We started crate training/potty training on the first night (with trips out to potty every 2 hours throughout the night) and so far he hasn't had a single accident indoors. 🎉 He's even walking himself off of the patio and out into the yard by himself at this point.

I've gone ahead and fully switched him over to a higher quality all life stages food and he seems to be doing really well on it. He's always ravenous by dinner time so I might start feeding him three times a day instead of only twice.

June is still very skeptical of the new addition. She's corrected him a few times after he's been brave enough to touch her but then other times she let's him get a few licks in before moving away. Peaceful coexistence is totally acceptable, but I'm still hoping they'll become good friends soon. 🤞🏼

I might start feeding him three times a day instead of only twice.
I have read before that more feedings are better then fewer until the growth curve starts to flatten. I don't remember the source or how to quote it, but I remember that it felt legit at the time I read it. Love this update photo! Keep them coming! No such thing as too many Doberpup photos!

I have read before that more feedings are better then fewer until the growth curve starts to flatten. I don't remember the source or how to quote it, but I remember that it felt legit at the time I read it.

I think it's recommended to feed 3x day until they are 6 months or so.

After talking to my husband I realized that when June was this age we fed her three times a day, so that's definitely what I'm starting today with Crank too. I'm sure he's gonna love the extra meal.

Thanks for your input! I appreciate it. 🖤🤎

Back