Housekeeper uncomfortable with our doberman

Plutosmama

Novitiate
Hello!

Our pup is 3 months old, very playful and social guy. Our housekeeper (shes been with us 6 years) has been very apprehensive around him, she doesn’t pet him, just tries to move away when he runs to her. She told me that she likes dogs, she just doesn’t want him to lick her. I am getting a feeling that she doesn’t like him and she doesn’t want to admit it.

I know I shouldn’t expect her to love our puppy.
However, based on her behavior, she won’t form any type of bond with him on top of being scared. I’m thinking in the very near future when he reaches full weight and puberty this can create a dangerous situation, especially when she will come to our house without us being there. She comes three times a week.

I don’t want to fire her just because of this, but I also don’t want to be responsible for a potential bite in the future. Neither do I want to keep my dog crated forever when she’s working.

Based on your experience, how important is it for a doberman to have a relationship with an individual that will be coming to the house three times a week?

Anyone who is part of the household 3 days a week should "belong" and is part of the family in most cases for a puppy. This is a perfect way to teach your growing puppy that not everyone in the home is to be played with or licked or bullied. If the housekeeper ignores the puppy, the puppy should ignore the housekeeper. She should remain neutral and as you train him to be an obedient dog they will get along just fine. 3 months is plenty old enough that you should control him not to bother her while she's doing her work. I'm assuming in the future you will have company or family over for visiting - he will have to be well behaved for them as well. He should not want to bite people just because they don't want to interact with them or act afraid.

I do get that people who are afraid of dogs give dogs a weird vibe. In this case since that person is a regular part of his life he should learn quickly to ignore that person and it's your responsibility to help him learn this. As a young puppy this should happen pretty quickly. Much like teaching a puppy to leave the cat alone: they really want to chase, engage, play with the cat, but with you overseeing that he doesn't, and with the cat not wanting to play, it just takes care of itself. Not overnight, but eventually they give it up.

6 years of service sounds like a very good employee. I'd let her know that you realize he's kind of a wild puppy, but you'll be doing your best to train him to stay out of her way. To help the puppy ignore her, let her know that "no talk, no touch, no eye contact" helps. For different reasons I had to make that rule for visitors in my house as my puppy was growing up, and I still do. It allows the dog to settle and eliminates any kind of invitation for the puppy to go to that person.

Agree with @Ravenbird

We've always asked people who come to our house, routinely or not, to ignore the dogs. Our really good friends and frequent flyers know to ignore them when they first get here but if we're all chilling and the dogs come up looking for attention, they happily provide it. When the dogs have had enough, they'll walk away.

He'll likely learn he's not going to get anything from your housekeeper if she acts like he's not there. That's also asking her to not react to him.

There will be signs if he's uncomfortable with her but if she's there 3 times a week and has been coming since you've brought him home, he'll learn it's routine. You've had him maybe a month or so? Puppies are also very inquisitive and jumpy and nippy which can be a lot for someone who might not appreciate dogs.

especially when she will come to our house without us being there. She comes three times a week.
Are you at work or gone for a long time? If not, I agree that a crate is the best option. A dog (especially a Doberman) will act way differently toward other people when you're not home.

Hello!

Our pup is 3 months old, very playful and social guy. Our housekeeper (shes been with us 6 years) has been very apprehensive around him, she doesn’t pet him, just tries to move away when he runs to her. She told me that she likes dogs, she just doesn’t want him to lick her. I am getting a feeling that she doesn’t like him and she doesn’t want to admit it.

I know I shouldn’t expect her to love our puppy.
However, based on her behavior, she won’t form any type of bond with him on top of being scared. I’m thinking in the very near future when he reaches full weight and puberty this can create a dangerous situation, especially when she will come to our house without us being there. She comes three times a week.

I don’t want to fire her just because of this, but I also don’t want to be responsible for a potential bite in the future. Neither do I want to keep my dog crated forever when she’s working.

Based on your experience, how important is it for a doberman to have a relationship with an individual that will be coming to the house three times a week?
I don't like any dog licking me and wish people would not think it cute when they do. They wash there own privates "a lot" and then you allow that tongue near your mouth?EWWW.. Allowing a puppy to lick is just later on having to retrain it not to. I just pull my hands away and say no licking. then hand them a chew toy. she has to deal with it if she wants to work for you. If she can't then other jobs available for her and other housekeepers. I cleaned 5 houses for 10 years and some had dogs one had 2 hairless cats. I love animals and we all got along.

I have always kept our Dobe/dog locked away from any house cleaner. I don't want my guard dog to have any experiences of allowing people into the house when we are not there.

Dobes are not licky dogs. The licking will probably go away.

Since you don't wish to crate your Dobe for housekeeper's visits, I would recommend really encouraging the housekeeper to interact with your Dobe. You don't want things to get weird one day and wind up with a nipping incident once your Dobe is more mature.

I don't know that I would articulate to the housekeeper the reasoning behind your wishes, because that could possibly be used against you in court should it go there.

Back