1st time poster - wrapping around post

Jfrick

I’m sorry JanS, I just don’t understand the wrapping direction, tightness of the wrap around the post. I wish I had a top view drawing or video. I’m referring to this link:
Thread 'Doberman ear posting - improved method'
Doberman ear posting - improved method
Also, this was posted in 2011. I’m wondering if it is still the preferred method. Is there a video of this method?

No problem asking, that's what we're here for.

Here is a video of a slightly different method, but the tape gets wrapped the same direction, if it helps.
The taping part starts at about the 3:30 mark.

Also, this was posted in 2011. I’m wondering if it is still the preferred method.
There are several different methods but this is still the one I use.

So if you start taping from the post and towards the front of their face, wouldn’t this cause the ear to fold back on itself?

Sorry, I missed the video till after my post. So the ear does wrap around the post, but the tape is wrapped in the opposite direction. Thank you for all you do. 😊

That looks pretty good from what I can tell. You can get by with less tape though.

That looks pretty good from what I can tell. You can get by with less tape though.
I had the first cross piece up to high, so I added another down lower and attempted to cut the higher one off. She was very wiggly

I had the first cross piece up to high, so I added another down lower and attempted to cut the higher one off. She was very wiggly
Looks great and she’s adorable!!! How old?

You’ll get it quickly trust me, it’s a mess at the start and soon you’ll be a pro. DCF is amazing with support and advice!

I always cut up some fruit really small and that’s the treat as I go and end with the rest to her. Must have a tired pup or she will be an absolute wild woman. Have all my stuff prepped and ready at arms length. I’m only 2 months in myself, but we have come a long way and I can wrap her ears pretty quickly now. A lot of trial and error too. Believe me I had wanted to quit many times.

You’re doing great!

You’ll get it quickly trust me, it’s a mess at the start and soon you’ll be a pro. DCF is amazing with support and advice!

I always cut up some fruit really small and that’s the treat as I go and end with the rest to her. Must have a tired pup or she will be an absolute wild woman. Have all my stuff prepped and ready at arms length. I’m only 2 months in myself, but we have come a long way and I can wrap her ears pretty quickly now. A lot of trial and error too. Believe me I had wanted to quit many times.

You’re doing great!
That’s some great advice right there ^^^.
So happy for you…you are a pro now!

@Jfrick

Keep watching the video…
Search on this site about posting ears, posting ear problems, ear posting problems, etc…

If you have issues, they have already been addressed here somewhere.

Or just ask questions.

Some quick advice:
1. Backtape all the way down the rod leaving 1/4”.
2. Push the rod all the way down into the bell. Hate to say this but Ragnar use to throw his rods out, so I would push down into the bell until that asshat squirmed or whined.
3. Plan accordingly…after you post, you have to distract them off of having something stuck in their ears. Tug, walk, hide/seek, etc…

Good luck.

Wow!, Thank you for all the replies, comments and encouragement. The first attempt lasted through the night but quickly came off after wrestling with our cat, who was bigger than Naomi, but not anymore. That pulled off a scab from her cropping, so we left it alone for a day or two. My second attempt came off in the night ( one ear ) so I took the other off. I know I need to do a better job cleaning the inside of her ears, because the reverse taping isn’t holding well enough. I’m also concerned that she might have an ear infection because the right post really bothered her when I pushed in down in there. We’re taking her to our vet tomorrow. Well she what she wants to do. Thanks again.

Wow!, Thank you for all the replies, comments and encouragement. The first attempt lasted through the night but quickly came off after wrestling with our cat, who was bigger than Naomi, but not anymore. That pulled off a scab from her cropping, so we left it alone for a day or two. My second attempt came off in the night ( one ear ) so I took the other off. I know I need to do a better job cleaning the inside of her ears, because the reverse taping isn’t holding well enough. I’m also concerned that she might have an ear infection because the right post really bothered her when I pushed in down in there. We’re taking her to our vet tomorrow. Well she what she wants to do. Thanks again.

Attachments

• IMG_1919.jpeg
    IMG_1919.jpeg
    101.6 KB · Views: 2

You’re doing great!
She’s 11 weeks and ditto everything you said. Best to wait till she’s ready to drop. I going to ask our vet about the amount of food we are feeding her because she goes crazy at feeding time.

She’s 11 weeks and ditto everything you said. Best to wait till she’s ready to drop. I going to ask our vet about the amount of food we are feeding her because she goes crazy at feeding time.
It’s for sure very stressful and a lot to take in at first. I watched a million videos, had my breeder help, and support me too. Plus, DCF was a huge help. Just recently I finally got an ear posting routine. I cried a lot felt like I was hurting her and a felt like a failure. Now it’s pretty easy, so hang in there!

Yes, to the food, we went through that too. Still she acts as through she is starving, but weight is on point. I think some are just incredibly food driven. You’ll figure that out too see how she looks and what vet says. I don’t go by the kibble label on amounts she eats more than that. I do feed some human foods too as treats and in her kibble.

Good luck today! Keep us in the loop.

I going to ask our vet about the amount of food we are feeding her because she goes crazy at feeding time.
How many times per day do you feed her? I like to keep them on 3 feedings per day when they're younger so they don't get so hungry between meals.
Is she a food gulper? If so, you might want to try a slow feeder bowl.

Yes, definitely a food gulper. We feed her along with our Westie and cat on the 5’s. We do give her treats for going potty outside and rewards for sitting. That’s a good idea-slow feeder bowl. I think we even have one. She is a distance cousin of our last Dobe and he inhaled his food. It didn’t matter what time after a meal, if it was edible he would snarf it down.
We got her from Ruth in Shipshewana, IN and the vet in Wyoming MI, that cropped her ears tested her for parasites, which she did have and has been treated for.

Is that picture from now? She looks much younger than 11 weeks old... I want to say she is 7 weeks old in that picture. Which, is sad but not shocking. There are no reputable or ethical dobe breeders in Shipshewana.

Back