• Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”

Whining When Leaving The Room / House

Dakota

Hey Everyone,

Sky is currently in a very whiny state of mind whenever we leave the two girls alone, ether to goto bed or go outside the house. She goes from whining to crying and it's very irritating. Sometimes she stops on her own but sometimes I have to correct the behavior by putting her in her place, not in an angry way but only to let her know that the behavior is not ok.

Next week they will be alone while I'm working and because I have very flexible working hours I won't be away for very long periods of time but I know she'll go into whining mode again and I want to make sure this behavior stops.

Joy never really had this problem, she grew into being alone really fast and automatically just goes to sleep when we leave the house. We never had to train this with Joy.

Does anyone have any tips to speed up the process and techniques that work wonders. Sky needs to learn to be alone, together with Joy, but without us.

I do not crate my dogs, they will be able to roam the house freely because they do not have any destructive behavior.

is she crated when you leave her alone? - All my guys are created when I leave for any period of time and I always give my guys either a bone filled with cheese or peanut butter and kibble (frozen) or a kong filled with peanut butter and kibble - this seems to distract them and give them something to focus on when I leave. I am sure others will have other good suggestions

I give the kong as Gail said too but i leave the radio or TV on , she is crated when i'm away though , ignoring is a good option since you are not going to be there plus correcting the behavior would only work for a bit , they just continue whining in my experience , i only correct her when i'm home and for some reason "like vacuuming " she has to be crated and then she thinks she is Pavarotti and the concert begins ! thinking she is going to get out that way and mess the vacuum cleaner , yeah right! she has to be quiet in order to get out and it seems she is finally learning that's the only way she gets things , but she is 14 months .
Good luck !

When Spock did this as a young puppy DeDe suggested leaving the room for short periods and as soon as he was quiet come back. Everytime going a little longer, but being careful not to push them too far. It teaches them that when you leave you aren't leaving forever and if they are just patient you will come back.

I had to leave Lexi at home for 2 months. She was on complete crate rest due to broken hips. I didnt want her hating that I left and hating the crate. So I went to the pet store and bought one of those HUGE smoked cow leg bones. The only time she was given this bone was when I left and had her crated. When I came home, it got taken away and other toys came out. So she got the idea the whole leaving meant she gets her big bone. Very nice treat !

I agree with Trinity 100% on this. You can go to K9BSL.com and read my article on separation anxiety and the importance of crate training

It is unfair to compare the new dog to the first dog who had ALL you attention and training time. This dog is having to share and the entire situation is seen differently by this puppy..

She needs to go placves without Joy and they should not always be together this sets up co-dependencies and Sep anxiety all together. A dog should learn to be alone and be ok with it. It is time to chill out.

Once I put a dog in the crate and reward them and leave with treats I do no ever yell at them or correct them. I let them work it out. When they are quiet I reward by letting them out and teking them out to potty.

Yelling at them is a form of trying to train by intimaditon. Never correct or work with a dog if you are angry. Not going to accomplish anything positive.

I would like to add that a crate is not used only to avoid any destructive behavior. A crate entices them to be calm and also rest while we are gone. They know that once we are home, the fun begins.

I have to correct the behavior by putting her in her place, not in an angry way but only to let her know that the behavior is not ok.

I am not sure what you mean by that. From what you have said, she is not questioning your authority, she is simply expressing her opinion in hopes you will respond how she wants. Simply ignoring her teaches she gets nothing that way. Lesson learned. If you respond to her in any way at this time she is being rewarded with your attention. Even though it grates on the nerves, totally ignore it and she will stop because she is getting nothing out of it.

I also agree with D4E, you can't compare the two dogs as your first had your undivided attention and the new one must now share your attention and affection. You also haven't had her long, it can take them several weeks to settle in properly.

First we need to udnerstand that every dog is different - second you have to realize that a second dog changes the entire dynamics and what worked for one dog who was the sole benefactor are two very different pictures to a dog. I have never ever considered I had to put a dog in it's place. our job is to teach the dog the things I want them to learn and to motivate them to give me their very best.

Their job is to learn what is ask and perform it. the rewards must far outweigh the negative. But this should never be the consideration with a puppy. They are babies - I say this so often and still we forget. They are babies and they dont' know any better. They are looking to us for guidance and help. A doberman does not respond well to a heavy hand. They will break their necks to please you if you make it fun and rewarding. But you don't intimidate or correct a baby because they don't know any better. We guide them, we nurture them and we keep them active and busy and train their little minds.

This is the time we build our bond and our trust. So - quick to praise for everything you can and slow to anger. A dog won't work for you if they do not trust you and getting angry at them for something they don't understand leads to mistrust. Once the bond is built and they know you will always be fair and consistent then the problems are all solved. It usually starts to come together about 18 months to 2 years of age and gets better and better from there. I consider them babies til 2 years of age.

With two dog syou must give them each separate time away from each other - Now you have to take the baby places without the older dog so it learns its own independence. Now you have to train separate so the puppy gets your full attenton. It is hard work and you are the one who has to do it for the sake of the baby.

If you start to get frustrated put the dog in the crate and let them chill out while you regain your composure.

Thank you for all the suggestions, I will follow the advise, according to the neighbors she is whining when we left the house, however, everytime we come home we never hear anything. It's too bad the neighbors recollection of events is so inconsistent because they say she's whining but when we come home, they are sleeping... so I guess the whining stops after a while.

I'm going to train to leave the room, is she isn't whining, I come in and go crazy with her, give her treats and when she whines, I'll ignore it completely.

I'll leave the T.v on and give them a bone to chew on, the entire living room is filled with toys, so there is enough distraction. I enable them to look outside, so they have something to look at.

Thanks everyone !

Have you ever stood outside the door to time how long it takes her to calm down? Maybe leave, drive around for 5 min and come back to see if you can still hear her. I know with my guy he will just stand and whine for hours in the same room as me for no reason. It is really annoying and aggravating, but I am working on it with him. I am pretty sure the people that had him before me constantly pet him when he whined, or gave him whatever he wanted. He is slowly learning that he will get what he wants with quiet and a polite sit. He is usually a bit noisy in the crate when first going in, but then he settles down. He, however, is really good at bed time, and seems to be better if he cannot see us.

How I crate my dogs (seems to work well to nix anxiety problems):
1. Crate that is properly sized for your dog. I use airliner crates for dogs that have accidents.
2. Every time I put them in they get a cookie. I say "crate" and lead them in, take off the collar, say "good" and give them a cookie.
3. There is no more talking, no eye contact, and I briskly and quietly leave the room.
4. If there is any noise I do not come back in the room, I simply ignore it and leave.
5. For pups just getting used to the crate I start with short times and get longer as they get older.
6. I do not let the dogs out when I immediately get home, I make them wait varying times and also only go in the dog room when all is quiet.
7. I do not say anything to the dogs when I let them out, but they must be quiet, and sit first. They cannot be carrying on, digging, or pacing.
8. I also do not let them bolt out. They must come out easy and then sit. With fosters and new dogs I put them on leash when they come out so they don't pee on the way outside.

My wife says that I need to be crated from time to time. Does that count?

I guess it does...she trained me.

Cya

Great suggestions Purlfrog but I don't think you'll be hearing back from the OP on this. They haven't been around for some time. It will still be great information for anyone with a similar problem.

Ok...let me get this straight.

First: ya all know about the crate now.

Second: ya know about the muzzle.

Third: did my wife tell you all about the dremel, nail polish, and prong collar?

If she did I already can tell she ruined this sand box for me....she never lets me out to romp around and have some fun.
I'm not going to have any creditability here am I? You damn women always keep me on a tight leash and trained to well...I just want to be a GOOFY DAWG once in a while!!! LOL

Cya

Back