When to be concerned about diarrhea?

His test for parvo came back as a weak positive. However yesterday and especially today he is back to his normal self. He is eating and drinking normally, pestering the cats, throwing his toys around, crazy puppy antics in general. He had a tiny amount of diarrhea before bed last night and he has not pooped since.

The vet just says to keep monitoring him and call him back tomorrow, he didn’t seem worried so I’m not sure what to think.

I'm glad he's feeling better and I hope he keeps improving!

I’m glad he’s feeling better.

I’m sure the vet told you about Parvo but make sure the area it treated properly as it can stay in the ground for months. And if you know where you might have picked it up from definitely stay away.

I’m glad he’s feeling better.

I’m sure the vet told you about Parvo but make sure the area it treated properly as it can stay in the ground for months. And if you know where you might have picked it up from definitely stay away.

He actually didn’t tell me that. And that’s what I’m worried about is that I have no clue where he could’ve gotten it :( he doesn’t interact with other dogs

So what do you guys think about the fact that he was really only displaying serious sickness for one day? My impression of parvo was that it makes dogs feel ill for a very long time. He was experiencing malaise for maybe a day and a half? The diarrhea has been a few days (not today so far). Is it possible that his last parvo vaccine less than two weeks ago was affecting him and that’s why the test was positive?

Yes its possible. For sure if tested 2 or more weeks after a vaccine is given you should get a Positive Titer. It should be High.

Vaccines do suppress the Immune System. Especially giving these Mumbo Jumbo 5, 6, 7, 8 way vaccines!!!! Which I feel are not necessary. Yes they puppies do need Core Vaccines like Parvo, Distemper and Adeno.

Also maybe his immune system just kicked in to fight the disease. One thing if it was Parvo and he got a sick for one day (with symptoms that you noticed), but he could have had it for some days without symptoms.
There are also 3 different strains of Parvo 2a, 2b and the newer 2c strain.

I know after vaccinations (with a Modified Live Virus) they can shed the disease for some days in their urine and poop. One reason not to have a just vaccinated dog around a non vaccinated dog.

If it was Parvo most likely he probably will not ever get it again. Once a dog shows a Positive Titer or develops the disease naturally and survives for Viruses like Distemper, Parvo and Adeno (not bacteria sickness like Lepto, Lyme, Kennel Cough and others) They will be protected for 5-7yrs and up to the life of the pet. Bacterial vaccines for Lepto, Lyme, Kennel Cough and others their protection just don't last long. This is why they need to be boosted every year. But only if in areas where the possibility is HIGH! Kennel Cough I would not vaccinate for it. Its just like a human cold.

Most vets use this vaccine schedule for a puppy: Its first vaccination (Parvo, Distemper and Adeno) between 6-8 weeks of age. Then 10-12 weeks and final one between 14-16weeks. But Dr. Jean Dodds has a different one listed below.

Never get a Rabies Vaccine at the same time with any other vaccine. Wait 4 weeks or longer between them.

The most important thing to remember only Healthy Animals Should Be Vaccinated!

Some good reading for you:
Popular Vaccine Posts:
Puppy and Kitten Vaccines: Timing is critical
Dr. Jean Dodds' Canine Vaccination Protocol 2016
Dr. Jean Dodds' Feline Vaccination Protocol 2013-2016
Avoid Unnecessary Vaccines with Titer Tests (Part III)

Frequently Asked Questions about Titers and Vaccination Protocol by Dr. Dodds

Dr. Jean Dodds' Pet Health Resource Blog
Considered one of the foremost experts in pet healthcare, Dr. Dodds focuses on vaccination protocols, thyroid issues and nutrition.
Visit Hemopet.org or Nutriscan.org for more information.

• Search
18th Jul 2016 | 33 notes
2016 Dodds Vaccination Protocol for Dogs

tumblr_inline_oaiknhYMAg1rrllzk_500.jpg

The following vaccine protocol is offered for those dogs where minimal vaccinations are advisable or desirable. The schedule is one I recommend and should not be interpreted to mean that other protocols recommended by a veterinarian would be less satisfactory. It’s a matter of professional judgment and choice.

9 - 10 weeks of age

Distemper + Parvovirus, MLV
e.g. Merck Nobivac (Intervet Progard) Puppy DPV

14 – 15 weeks of age

18 weeks of age
Parvovirus only, MLV
Note: New research states that last puppy parvovirus vaccine should be at 18 weeks old.

20 weeks or older, if allowable by law
Rabies – give 3-4 weeks apart from other vaccines
Mercury-free (thimerosol-free, TF)

1 year old
This is an optional booster or titer. If the client intends not to booster after this optional booster or intends to retest titers in another three years, this optional booster at puberty is wise.

1 year old
Rabies – give 3-4 weeks apart from other vaccines
3-year product if allowable by law; mercury-free (TF)

Perform vaccine antibody titers for distemper and parvovirus every three years thereafter, or more often, if desired. Vaccinate for rabies virus according to the law, except where circumstances indicate that a written waiver needs to be obtained from the primary care veterinarian. In that case, a rabies antibody titer can also be performed to accompany the waiver request. Visit The Rabies Challenge Fund for more information.

W. Jean Dodds, DVM
Hemopet / NutriScan
11561 Salinaz Avenue
Garden Grove, CA 92843

Mowgli was pretty dandruffy and scratchy on Fromm Gold so I thought I’d try him on a different protein, I transitioned him to Fromm salmon and now that he’s been fully on the salmon since Sunday afternoon he has had totally liquid projectile poop and just now he threw up all of his food from last night.

I’m about to go pick him up some chicken to make chicken and rice. Should I immediately switch back to his other food or his is body just adjusting? He is still acting himself and drinking a ton of water

Sorry I'm late to this thread but I just went through this with Bruno. I got Bruno from a rough situation and they were feeding him raw beef and suspect feed. I grabbed a bag of purina pro sport as most dogs stomachs can handle this brand without issues... after which I switched him to merrick real Texas beef food. He was fine during the transition then had projectile diarrhea and vomiting.

What fixed it was a vet trip which they issued me pectin pills (apple skin pills to firm poo) and a probiotic to get his stomach right.

Ran this for 12 days and he immediately was better after administering the first dose of meds.

I also forgot to note that this went on when I administered his vaccinations. We did parvo/dist first which probably intensified the diarreah from the food change then the rabies while he was on his pectin and probiotics... had no poo reaction while on the stool firmer and probiotics.

What, really? When he got his second parvo/distemper vaccine he got rabies vaccine at the same time! He wanted to do lepto then also and I said not that many at once.

There are lots of articles in the Forum Doberman Health Issues and Questions about vaccinations to read.

Are things still going good?????????

You can keep this around also. Just posted this.
What To Do When Your Dog Gets Diarrhea

I believe so yes. The vet said not to be concerned if he still has soft poop over the next couple of days. He only pooped yesterday morning since my last post and it was soft but not the liquid diarrhea he was originally experiencing. He is acting like his normal self and even got a new sweater yestearray because it’s supposed to snow this week!! I finally was able to pick up the bone broth you suggested and have been adding it to the chicken and rice

My boy had digestive issues for months. After numerous vet visits all the tests came back negative. I tried numerous different medications as well as canned pumpkin, chicken & rice. I finally found https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07234DBTW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and after only 2 feedings his poop was and has been solid. It is all natural, plant based. Always have a vet visit first but after a clean bill of health this stuff is amazing

I believe so yes. The vet said not to be concerned if he still has soft poop over the next couple of days. He only pooped yesterday morning since my last post and it was soft but not the liquid diarrhea he was originally experiencing. He is acting like his normal self and even got a new sweater yestearray because it’s supposed to snow this week!! I finally was able to pick up the bone broth you suggested and have been adding it to the chicken and rice

Good news. Keep us up dated!

Can also try FOOD GRADE ONLY! Diatomaceous Earth. You only need a small jar. It also comes in large bags if you want to use it around the yard.
Diatomaceous Earth - Official Site
https://www.diatomaceousearth.com
Diatomaceous Earth is one of the most effective methods of killing cockroaches, all the while being an all-natural mineral that is safe around family and pets.

Also very good to get rid of any toxins.
  • RxClay (Hydrated Calcium Alum inosilicate) is a geological nanomaterial that adsorbs bacterial enterotoxins
  • Increases the reabsorption of intraluminal water in the gastrointestinal tract
  • Resulting in clinical normalization of stool quality
Its like $16 on Amazon

Any updates????????

Just more info for you on Bone Broth.
Bone Broth for Dogs & Other Pets: Top 5 Benefits + Recipes - Dr. Axe

Parvo is very prevalent in Colorado. We have 2 or more puppies in our clinic a month with parvo or distemper. Most test negative but clinically they show all the signs. Normally it is from from pet shop puppies but also through craigslist and Facebook puppies. We also have lepto here, at least 2 dogs this year in my clinic tested positive but others have shown possible signs. I also held off on the lepto and gave it separately from the DAP.

A bleach solution for your carpets and bedding would be a good idea.

Be vary wary of streams and reservoirs as giardia is found in many especially around Denver.

Parvo is a blood test. Did they test him for giardia?

Just be super aware of any vomiting, diarrhea, and lethargy. Dobermans are common foreign body candidates. If a vet receptionist tells you that those symptoms can wait, they need to be fired.

Good news. Keep us up dated!

Can also try FOOD GRADE ONLY! Diatomaceous Earth. You only need a small jar. It also comes in large bags if you want to use it around the yard.
Diatomaceous Earth - Official Site
https://www.diatomaceousearth.com
Diatomaceous Earth is one of the most effective methods of killing cockroaches, all the while being an all-natural mineral that is safe around family and pets.

Also very good to get rid of any toxins.
  • RxClay (Hydrated Calcium Alum inosilicate) is a geological nanomaterial that adsorbs bacterial enterotoxins
  • Increases the reabsorption of intraluminal water in the gastrointestinal tract
  • Resulting in clinical normalization of stool quality
Its like $16 on Amazon

How much of the diatomaceous earth should you feed per day/meal? We have an abundance and Moo seems to go back and forth between good stools and soft (we're thinking our travel for work might be a bit of a stressor for him). I believe we have a giant bag of this sitting in the mud room so might as well put it to use (and yes, it's food grade!).

Any updates????????

Just more info for you on Bone Broth.
Bone Broth for Dogs & Other Pets: Top 5 Benefits + Recipes - Dr. Axe

He’s totally back to his happy self and has completely solid stool. I am still adding the bone broth to his food.

Parvo is very prevalent in Colorado. We have 2 or more puppies in our clinic a month with parvo or distemper. Most test negative but clinically they show all the signs. Normally it is from from pet shop puppies but also through craigslist and Facebook puppies. We also have lepto here, at least 2 dogs this year in my clinic tested positive but others have shown possible signs. I also held off on the lepto and gave it separately from the DAP.

A bleach solution for your carpets and bedding would be a good idea.

Be vary wary of streams and reservoirs as giardia is found in many especially around Denver.

Parvo is a blood test. Did they test him for giardia?

Just be super aware of any vomiting, diarrhea, and lethargy. Dobermans are common foreign body candidates. If a vet receptionist tells you that those symptoms can wait, they need to be fired.

No, it was a parvo test. He stuck something directly in his butt for the sample. The bill says Parvo PCR, and I am familiar with doing PCR in my lab and am fairly certain PCR can be done with stool.

Back