What do you do when it rains while you’re posting?

RexsMom

Notable member
Posting is already a pain itself, especially when you have a puppy who won’t let you do it until he’s asleep :wacky: Where I live it rains A LOT, and you know water & posting don’t mix.
Puppies need to potty a lot & dobies need lots of exercise. So when your pup can’t go outside because their ears, what do you do? Right now I’m just crouching over him with an umbrella, but it doesn’t usually work out.

I used an umbrella and the place where he pottied was covered. Maybe you can buy one of those sun shade tents and put it where he potties.

Are you handy with a sewing machine? If so I would buy water proof fabric, measure the ears and make covers for them that will go over each individual ear and across the top of his head and add straps on each side to tie under his neck. Think of it like ear mittens only water proof.

The things we do for love.

I don't know why I haven't found it necessary to go to any lengths to mitigate this problem in the past. Hmm. Maybe I just let them get a little wet?

As for placing ziplocs or any plastic over the ears, I would think that the noise from raindrops hitting the plastic would be pretty loud for the pup and of course we KNOW the little stinkers use ANY excuse to be distracted from pottying when and where we need them to.

Seems like the posts in the ears would deafen some of the noise. Maybe?
Good point.

On the other hand, I know when I've got foam earplugs in, anything that scrapes against or taps on the earplug – even wind blowing on them or a fan blowing on them – transmits significant noise right into my ears.

Just thinking aloud here, pardon the pun.

This reminds me of when Kaiser still had posts and could hear every move we made and would start whining for attention. My hb whispered to me in a fearful tone: You know he'll hear even more when the posts are out :fearscream:

I'll never forget that moment because the man isn't scared of anything. It's hilarious now :laughing:

Here’s what I ended up coming up with! I took a stretchy medical bandage (that I was going to try for posting), and sewed it to a shower cap. It works perfectly, and surprisingly doesn’t bother him! Now we don’t dread about his ears when we see rain outside :)

Attachments

• 5C74FA16-F0B5-4982-9A73-F3A35BFF1B96.jpeg
    5C74FA16-F0B5-4982-9A73-F3A35BFF1B96.jpeg
    394.6 KB · Views: 15
I wonder how much long term impact this has on a Dobe. Many people say their Dobes don't like rain. I wonder how much of that goes back to when they were posted and their owners avoided the rain. This is another reason I prefer using Torbots adhesive instead of tape. We never worry about the rain, we purposefully go out and play and train in the rain to make rain fun.

I wonder how much of that goes back to when they were posted and their owners avoided the rain.

It may have something to do with tape but more likely the fact people don't like the rain. Pups pick up from that rain is bad.
I never let a rain stop us and act like it's any other day. For our lifestyle it is important that my dogs like water so when it rains, out we go for some fun. Of course because of that I have created mud monsters. :rolleyes:
another mud dauber.jpg mud dauber.jpg

Back