• Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”

What to do if dog gets bored/lazy to eat?

Genta

Notable member
Hi! I just boarded noya in a training school for 2 weeks (this is his second day) and he’s only eating a little of his food. I also brought his kibble with him (he’s been eating this kibble for almost a year)

So the problem arises because his trainer is concerned because he’s eating little. I told him that this was expected, it was the same as when I first brought him home and the last time I had to leave him in a pet hotel (only for a couple of days). The trainer seems to want to mix his food with other things (lamb milk or other things) and honestly I’m okay with the ingredients but I fear that Noya will think that there’ll be options (variations of food for him to pick).

So I told the trainer to just stick with his normal food and his feeding routine. The trainer doesn’t agree with me. Just to check if a dog refuses to eat it’s okay to take away his food and then give it to him again during his next meal time? And only intervene when they totally refuse to eat for 24 hours (honestly this is excessive since Noya is eating albeit very little. I’m very sure he’ll eat more tomorrow). I’m very sure someone advice me this either in here or by a vet. If I am wrong though please correct me, I’m starting to doubt my memories.

Additional information: he’s acting the same. No decrease in energy. He’s drinking as usual.

Thank you guys!

Noya must be a couple years old by now, no? Likely he is just not eating due to the situation changing. I’m sure he’ll adjust once he settles in. What training is he getting?

Its likely due to stress as boarding situations are pretty stressful to dobermans. They could try soaking his food with water to see if that'll increase his appetite.

Noya must be a couple years old by now, no? Likely he is just not eating due to the situation changing. I’m sure he’ll adjust once he settles in. What training is he getting?

Yes, Noya is 4 years old. He has done this a couple of times in the past. I’m trying to get rid of his excitement towards other dogs (I admit I have always allowed this behaviour because I didn’t think it would be too much of a problem). He gets too excited and wants to play with other dogs when he sees them.

My first Dobe, when we traveled together, would often go off his feed. This concerned me, and I devised a solution but it's one that some may find unpleasant.

He and I had a trusting relationship and I could handle him in whatever way needed.

When he would refuse to eat his kibble, and it worried me, I would take some in my hand and place/push it into his throat in the same way one would a pill. After a few repetitions, his appetite would awaken and he'd finish the meal normally.

I don't think dogs will starve themselves in most situations. Are you concerned he will lose weight, as I was?

Back