• Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”

Walmart Meds

I'm pretty sure you have to get a prescription from the vet first here too. But, if your pet needs that medication and you ask the vet to write you a prescription, I don't think they can turn you down.

we need prescription as well. all those drugs are actually human drugs that are also given to dogs...

my vet did it with no prob, but it seemed like it was the first time he did it. but he was also very generous... instead of just giving me 10 days worth, said i may as well get 30 for the $4 and just keep them for when i needed them.

That's a good idea, too, hrd. Especially for the chin pimple meds I'm always paying through the nose for at the vet for Herc.

I just checked on one of the meds Herc takes a lot of and surprisingly it's cheaper at my vets than at Walmart by half the price; this one wasn't on their list of $4.00 meds. But I copied and pasted the list to another document so I can print it out the next time I take him in. I'm going to see if anything on the Walmart list would work as good as what he's been taking. That's a heck of a cost savings hrd.

I also bought from Walmart. What do u mean if they work the same? I didn;t ask for a random headacke pill but a particular drug. Is there a way i wont get what i asked for? The price was half than the vet

i just paid $80 for cherry flavored invermectin!!! needless to say i am going to find an alternative to that now!!
For ivermectin???? :eek:
A tube that will treat a 1500# horse only costs about $8....

I just got home from the vet...$425 lighter in the pocket. Fire has pneumonia! The girl stays inside, and I never noticed anything weird until she sounded "snotty" today. We spent 6 hours at the vet. After Xrays, blood work, & lots of waiting we got the diagnosis.Fortunately the vet agreed to write a prescription to Walmart for Fire's Cipro (antibiotic). Bad news was, the other rx came from the vet...$74 for 8 pills. Even the vet tech was amazed at that price! Turns out it's a narcotic to relieve coughing (she hasn't coughed yet). Boy, it knocked her OUT. Poor baby. She's so shy...today was a super rough day. They had to sedate her once I left to do Xrays. She was so terrified she pooped herself. :( Makes me cry thinking of my big, strong girl that scared.
Currently she is face down on the couch, snockered from the drugs!! Wish her well, all.
I'm off to crash...I have a huge cold too.
Wonder if we gave it to eachother. LOL ;)

Wow $425!! Sure hope that Fire feels better quickly and you don't need too many vet trips!! That must have been a huge surprise when she just seemed a little snotty!! Sending you both healing vibes for a quick recovery!!!

Yeah it was. They said her lungs were weezy & with a parvo dog she will always be low immune. So, they said it was better to be agressive , rather than let it go and find out she was too far gone to save her. I can't face that again. No way!!
I think they know that & use it to their advantage. I never even got an estimate. MY fault, but either way...I'd have still paid it. She needed help. The cost was actually DSCOUNTED because we have a health plan, so that was less the $40 office visit. I know vets earn their bucks just like a doc, but boy...it's hard to swallow sometimes. That was the entire months savings towards our house down payment, so far...Poof, gone.
I think our vet is over priced. BUT- our entire area is.
$425 = 2 Xrays, blood work- CBC's, 2 injections of antibiotic, 8 pills for coughing. Period.

I just got home from the vet...$425 lighter in the pocket. Fire has pneumonia! The girl stays inside, and I never noticed anything weird until she sounded "snotty" today. We spent 6 hours at the vet. After Xrays, blood work, & lots of waiting we got the diagnosis.Fortunately the vet agreed to write a prescription to Walmart for Fire's Cipro (antibiotic). Bad news was, the other rx came from the vet...$74 for 8 pills. Even the vet tech was amazed at that price! Turns out it's a narcotic to relieve coughing (she hasn't coughed yet). Boy, it knocked her OUT. Poor baby. She's so shy...today was a super rough day. They had to sedate her once I left to do Xrays. She was so terrified she pooped herself. :( Makes me cry thinking of my big, strong girl that scared.
Currently she is face down on the couch, snockered from the drugs!! Wish her well, all.
I'm off to crash...I have a huge cold too.
Wonder if we gave it to eachother. LOL ;)

I can't believe she has pneumonia...out of the blue? With her immune system, maybe more susceptable, huh? And yes, reading your last like that you had 'a huge cold', that's the first thing I thought of...lol I never thought we can get it/give it, but reading out some stuff on here, I wouldn't doubt it! Hope you BOTH feel better soon!:doggyhug2:

Thanks, we're getting there.
I was out of town for a couple of days, so Fire was left with my not-as-diligent-as-me kids. When I came home I noticed her 'snoring loudly' the first night. Even my hubby commented on it. He poked ME, but it was her. Maybe it was actially congestion.. I think they let her stay out in the cold ( plus without a jacket) more than I would have. We just started OB class & she was exposed to a ton of dogs on Wed. too. All combined, I guess she got stressed, then sick & it got away from us quickly.

This is amazing information!! Thanks a lot!!

---------- Post added at 06:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:53 PM ----------

that you had 'a huge cold',

Yep... dogs can catch our colds! So if you're sick - don't be kissing on your pet's either!

Wow DM, wonder if its the same given for Kennel Cough.. I still have some left over from Karma having it....

Oh my DM, I missed this too, but I'm sorry to hear that about Fire. Poor baby... :(

How is she doing now?

Fire's feeling a lot better, thanks! She's still taking her antibiotics.
We did miss 2 of our obedience classes due to my cold & her pneumonia! Boo Hiss.
We're all going stir crazy.

Are our colds really zoonotic? I thought they weren't!! My daughter & I probably did get her sick then. :(

Glad to hear she's feeling better! I hope you are too!

Back