Tyson is getting neutered

NamVetJoe

So it’s time for Tyson to get neutered. It’s going to be a long two weeks after the surgery. Any suggestions from you boys and girls as to things to make his and our lives any easier for those two weeks with the e collar on? FYI he is the first of my Dobermans to be neutered

My boy didn't even wear a cone after he got neutered. He was 16 months old at the time, so he was quite capable of bothering the stitches. Maybe Tyson will be good like that too. Definitely use the pain meds that your vet should send him home with, and do plenty of leash walking.

I have to neuter Jasper due to breeder contract (not that my breeder has contacted me once after I paid, yah ik).

If I do it, im looking into vasectomies. Supposedly the recovery is better and it allows them to keep the hormones. If you are worried about any of that stuff, check it out. My trouble is finding a vet near me that does it.

My past dog had a tough recovery. He was neutered at 2yrs old. He was swollen for over a week and black and blue everywhere between his legs. I have no advice besides keeping them on leash outside to prevent excessive exercise. And looking up when its good to apply heat or ice to help them heal (I can’t remember off the top of my head)

I have to neuter Jasper due to breeder contract (not that my breeder has contacted me once after I paid, yah ik).

If I do it, im looking into vasectomies. Supposedly the recovery is better and it allows them to keep the hormones. If you are worried about any of that stuff, check it out. My trouble is finding a vet near me that does it.

My past dog had a tough recovery. He was neutered at 2yrs old. He was swollen for over a week and black and blue everywhere between his legs. I have no advice besides keeping them on leash outside to prevent excessive exercise. And looking up when its good to apply heat or ice to help them heal (I can’t remember off the top of my head)

strange about the breeder part. Neuter or spay with the breeder I purchased from voids all health contracts.

We had Preacher done shortly after his second birthday. I made sure the procedure was done by laser instead of scalpel. We had no problems with him bothering it while he healed.

Ragnar

Normal neuter at 18months.
Kept close eye on him and didn’t seem to be in pain so stopped pain meds after 3days.

Used a leash and tried to prevent running and jumping. Was successful for first five days but after that, it wasn’t happening.

No issues with wound or recovery.

Ragnar

Normal neuter at 18months.
Kept close eye on him and didn’t seem to be in pain so stopped pain meds after 3days.

Used a leash and tried to prevent running and jumping. Was successful for first five days but after that, it wasn’t happening.

No issues with wound or recovery.
Same here except I don't remember him getting any pain meds. :scratch: 18 months, no cone of shame, and except for trying to keep him calm, it was like nothing happened. :whoop: He barely batted an eye. Happy to see me on pickup, as usual. :D Didn't hold a grudge. :whistle:

I agree that the hard part is keeping him quiet. We didn't need a cone or pain meds either so the biggest issue was to make sure he didn't get too excited.

I only have jokes about Jolly Balls, being that mine still has his lol, so I hope Tyson has an easy recovery. Agree that mental games and maybe a chew toy, Kong, or bully sticks to help him pass the time. Will probably save your sanity too ;)

Tyson had cryptorchidism he is four years old the vet said all went well it took a little time as it was in his abdomen. Any advice on after cair more than welcome

Pretty simple surgery from a good vet. I think Ragnar went in early afternoon, they kept him overnight and I picked him up after work the next day.

Sent him home with a cone of shame that I discarded. I and he hate those things. He looked so embarrassed having it on. Just kept an eye on him in case he licked or scratched- which he did not at all. The biggest issue was keeping him as immobile as possible for 7-10 days post surgery. Yeah right….I think that lasted 4-5days. Suppose to give antbx and pain meds. Gave antbx the entire time and stopped the pain meds after three days.

But suppose to be:
No running
No jumping
Keep eye on wound for any leakage, discoloration or infection. Warm-hot to touch is indication of infection.
Give meds as prescribed.

Hope all goes well, please keep us updated.

Sent him home with a cone of shame that I discarded. I and he hate those things.
Same here and they've never been needed with any of our dogs after a procedure.

Back