Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Tyson is getting neutered

Discussion in 'Doberman Talk and Discussions' started by NamVetJoe, Jun 16, 2020.

1. NamVetJoe

NamVetJoe Notable member

So it’s time for Tyson to get neutered. It’s going to be a long two weeks after the surgery. Any suggestions from you boys and girls as to things to make his and our lives any easier for those two weeks with the e collar on? FYI he is the first of my Dobermans to be neutered

• Like Like x 2
  2. Ingrid H

Ingrid H Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

My boy didn't even wear a cone after he got neutered. He was 16 months old at the time, so he was quite capable of bothering the stitches. Maybe Tyson will be good like that too. Definitely use the pain meds that your vet should send him home with, and do plenty of leash walking.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Antman408

Antman408 $ Forum Donor $

Why do you feel the need to neuter him?

just some food for thought.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Lizbeli

Lizbeli $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber

I have to neuter Jasper due to breeder contract (not that my breeder has contacted me once after I paid, yah ik).

If I do it, im looking into vasectomies. Supposedly the recovery is better and it allows them to keep the hormones. If you are worried about any of that stuff, check it out. My trouble is finding a vet near me that does it.

My past dog had a tough recovery. He was neutered at 2yrs old. He was swollen for over a week and black and blue everywhere between his legs. I have no advice besides keeping them on leash outside to prevent excessive exercise. And looking up when its good to apply heat or ice to help them heal (I can’t remember off the top of my head)

• Like Like x 3
  5. strykerdobe

strykerdobe Hot Topics Subscriber

A vasectomy is a much better choice if you have to neuter.

6. Antman408

Antman408 $ Forum Donor $

strange about the breeder part. Neuter or spay with the breeder I purchased from voids all health contracts.

• Like Like x 2
  7. C908

C908 Notable member

We had Preacher done shortly after his second birthday. I made sure the procedure was done by laser instead of scalpel. We had no problems with him bothering it while he healed.

8. Ddski5

Ddski5 Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Ragnar

Normal neuter at 18months.
    Kept close eye on him and didn’t seem to be in pain so stopped pain meds after 3days.

Used a leash and tried to prevent running and jumping. Was successful for first five days but after that, it wasn’t happening.

No issues with wound or recovery.

9. NamVetJoe

NamVetJoe Notable member

Tyson suffers from
    unilateral cryptorchidism

• Empathetic Empathetic x 6
  10. MyBuddy

MyBuddy Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Same here except I don't remember him getting any pain meds. :scratch: 18 months, no cone of shame, and except for trying to keep him calm, it was like nothing happened. :whoop: He barely batted an eye. Happy to see me on pickup, as usual. :D Didn't hold a grudge. :whistle:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Ravenbird

Ravenbird Notable member

Very good reason. If he has to have limited exercise maybe this could be a two week marathon of mental/brain game challenges! Best to you & fast recovery for Tyson!

• Agree Agree x 6
  12. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

I agree that the hard part is keeping him quiet. We didn't need a cone or pain meds either so the biggest issue was to make sure he didn't get too excited.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Tropicalbri's

Tropicalbri's $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Absolutely necessary when that presents itself.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

I only have jokes about Jolly Balls, being that mine still has his lol, so I hope Tyson has an easy recovery. Agree that mental games and maybe a chew toy, Kong, or bully sticks to help him pass the time. Will probably save your sanity too ;)

• Agree Agree x 1