• Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”

Ticks and What You Need to Know by Dr. Judy Morgan

strykerdobe

Hot Topics Subscriber

Lots of info.​

For the rest of the article click on Link

Ticks! What You Need to Know​

by Judy Morgan April 18, 2022

If you’ve spent any time outdoors, you and your fur babies have likely encountered ticks at some point. They’re attracted to people and their four-legged pets and can move between the two with ease. There are roughly 850 species of ticks around the world. Of these, a handful can carry pathogens which can result in disease for humans or animals.

The following is a primer for identifying the types of ticks that carry disease, how to test a tick for the presence of disease, and how to treat tick bites. For information on how to prevent and minimize the chance of tick-borne disease in dogs and cats, refer to the following blogs:

Natural Flea and Tick Prevention: Natural Flea & Tick Prevention

Natural Flea and Tick Prevention Revisited: Flea and Tick Prevention Revisited

Deadly Flea and Tick Prevention: Deadly Flea and Tick Prevention

What does a tick bite look like on a dog or cat?

In the absence of finding a tick feeding on its host, a tick bite looks like a small red bump, similar to a mosquito bite. These bumps often appear at the site of a tick bite or following tick removal and resolve themselves over a few days. Your pet can give you a clue if they are itching the site. If you see persistent itching, check the hair and the skin in the area. Some tick bites can also produce a “bull’s eye” at the bite site.

The best way to check your dog for ticks is to brush your fingers through your dog’s fur, applying enough pressure to feel any small bumps. If you feel a bump, pull the fur apart to identify it. An embedded tick will vary in size, from as tiny as a pinhead to as big as a dime. They are usually black, grey or brown. Depending on the size and location of the tick, its legs may also be visible.

To remove a tick, use-fine-tipped tweezers or tick removers to grasp the tick as close to the skin as possible. Clean the area around the bite with witch hazel.

I appreciate this post! I have been using natural sprays for the past 8 years for ticks due to our Electra having a horrible hive reaction with Frontline years ago....I was considering going back to one of the commercially available flea & tick preventatives with our new boy, but I really like this Dr. Judy article! Love this group and all the info here!

Back