• Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”

Summer Killer Alert Blue Green Algae Contain Deadly Bacteria

This is one of the times we had to bring Della to the emergency vet in the middle of the night after she ate some. I was cleaning algae out of the aquariums and I do believe one of them had some BGA along with other types and she went and found it after I dumped it outside. I'm glad it wasn't worse but it's very real.

Our local lake was closed last summer from this. Drought.
Depth was down to like only 15 feet.

With all the rain we got this winter I don't see it getting near as bad this summer

Wow, I've never heard of this! It seems I've seen algae like that on the side of creeks and stuff. In fact, I've seen horse troughs with that in it. Is that the same stuff ??

Wow, I've never heard of this! It seems I've seen algae like that on the side of creeks and stuff. In fact, I've seen horse troughs with that in it. Is that the same stuff ??

Not all are dangerous. But only testing would know.

Is that the same stuff ??
There are a million different types of algae and I doubt you'd get it in a horse tank unless the water sits in there for a long time. The BGA is sort of a free floating form that you could pull out with your hands where the most common algae I see in our tank is the stuff you have to really scrape to get off.

The stuff on the sides of creeks, probably not.
This stuff forms in water with little if any circulation and higher water temps.
A creek is a creek because there is a flow from somewhere.

Areas that have this form of bloom should be easy enough to spot with a little observation.

First, the water will stink.
Second, dead floating fish or remains on shore.
Which again, will stink.

Back