Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Toxic Algae kills dogs

Discussion in 'Doberman Talk and Discussions' started by Ddski5, Aug 12, 2019.

  1. Ddski5

    Ddski5 Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

    https://www-m.cnn.com/2019/08/11/us/three-dogs-died-algae-trnd/index.html?r=https://www.google.com/


    A North Carolina woman took her three dogs to a pond to play. Within hours, her pups had died from toxic algae

    By Scottie Andrew and Melissa Gray, CNN


    Updated at 1:07 AM ET, Mon August 12, 2019

    (CNN) — A doggy play date in a North Carolina pond turned tragic after three pups died from toxic algae. Now, their owners say they hope their loss will educate fellow dog lovers about the dangerous blooms.
    Melissa Martin and Denise Mintz took their beloved dogs Abby, Izzy and Harpo to a pond in Wilmington on Thursday night to cool off. But within 15 minutes of leaving the pond, Abby, a West Highland white terrier, began to have a seizure.
    Martin rushed her to a veterinary hospital, with Izzy and Harpo right behind her. Upon their arrival, Izzy, also a Westie, started seizing, and both terriers rapidly declined. Then Harpo, her 6-year-old "doodle" mix therapy dog, began to seize and show signs of liver failure.
    By midnight Friday, all three dogs had died, she said.

    [​IMG]
    Izzy, Abby and Harpo died from the toxic algae. All three experienced liver failure, Martin said.
    The culprit, Martin's veterinarian said, was poisoning from blue-green algae present in the pond where they played.
    "What started out as a fun night for them has ended in the biggest loss of our lives," Martin wrote in a Facebook post that has since been shared more than 15,000 times.
    Martin told CNN she didn't notice the algae at first, but her veterinarian told her that what appeared to be debris from flowers were blooms of cyanobacteria.
    She said she didn't see any signs warning of toxic algae near the pond, which sits next to a popular walking trail. It's her mission now, she says, to erect signs about toxic waters and warn pet owners about the blooms.
    "I will not stop until I make positive change," she said. "I will not lose my dogs for nothing."
    Blue-green algae is most common in the summer
    Toxic algae blooms are more likely to infest bodies of fresh water when the weather is warm and waters are stagnant, according to the North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services.
    Some algal blooms leave a film of muck on the surface and make the water ruddy, but others are difficult to immediately detect, such as the blooms in the pond where Martin's dogs were exposed.

    There's no cure for the poisoning, and exposure nearly always leads to death in dogs. Drinking from a body of water where blue-green algae lurks or licking it off fur can kill a dog within 15 minutes of exposure, according toBlue Cross for Pets, a UK animal charity.
    The North Carolina Department of Environmental Quality periodically updates a map of the state where algae blooms have been reported, but in the case that a health notice isn't posted, it's best for humans and pets alike to avoid waters that smell bad or look odd in color or murky, the state's health and human services department said.
     
    • Empathetic Empathetic x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. strykerdobe

    strykerdobe Hot Topics Subscriber

    Yes we will not let our Dobes go in any water with yuck on top. You also have to worry with the ocean blooms like they have in Florida.
     
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. LifeofRubie

    LifeofRubie Active Member

    This made me think of @Brioddy ! Be careful out there!
     
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  4. Viemarangelrock

    Viemarangelrock $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

    Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Viemarangelrock

    Viemarangelrock $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

  6. Brioddy

    Brioddy Active Member

    I just got back home from a hike with my usual buddy, and she was just telling me about this! I had never heard of it, but glad that I know now. The dogs usually only go in swift moving creeks and open lakes, I will definitely avoid anything that looks remotely stagnant or contains a film. Scary stuff.
     
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  7. GennyB

    GennyB Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

    I have learned more than I ever thought I would about this stuff. First the outbreak is larger than we are hearing about surprisingly. Because of all the rain across the country, the flooding leaves behind water where it's not supposed to be. Making the perfect breeding ground. It is actually a bacteria, not an algae so as the water starts drying up it becomes warmer and warmer which the bacteria thrives in. Add to that many ponds and flood water is where the land is heavily fertilized giving lots of food to make it grow faster. It can spread by sticking to a ducks feathers, ducks get around so they may be spreading it all over the place, even ponds that you would think are low risk. But the general thinking is it is everywhere, just a matter of the concentration. Water plants test for it and keep it at concentrations that are considered safe for consumption.
    Another thing to be aware of is if the water has been treated for blue green algae. It is controlled with copper so you don't want your dog drinking that water either.
     
    • Informative Informative x 2

Share This Page