Stacking Box

Panama

Hot Topics Subscriber
@JanS
Some people aren't too keen on stacking boxes, but they can (and do) come in handy.
These are the dimensions of the stacking box I made. You can make shorter in length, just adjust your measurements.
I'm a hands on kind of person, so I hope this makes sense!

You will need:
2 - 1" x 6" x 6'
wood screws
Anti Slip Traction tape (for steps)

The box:
2 sides - 35"
2 ends- 16"
Screw the end pieces to the end of the side pieces

End caps, slide & bottom brace:
cut 2 - 16" lengths & rip them in 1/2 length wise (makes 4 - 1" x 3" x 16" pieces)

Bottom brace - trimmed to fit flat inside the side boards- (Screw from the sides)

End caps - Screw one of the 1"x3"x16" pieces flat on top of each end (flush with the ends)

Slide - Place flat across the box (flush with the sides) and from underneath mark the slider. That's where you'll attach your feet.

Feet - 2-3" piece of scrap left over. Attach the feet to slide so the feet fit inside the box but NOT snug. These will keep the slide from falling off.

Put the Anti slip tape on the end caps and the slide for good grip. I cut it in 1/2 for along the sides also.

Stacking box 1.jpgStacking box 2.jpgStacking box 3.jpg

Thanks for sharing this! I don't know how I'll ever get around to showing conformation, but I always like to know more how-to stuff!

Thanks for sharing this! I don't know how I'll ever get around to showing conformation, but I always like to know more how-to stuff!
I've use mine with Diva too. She hated to get brushed (and Dalmatians need to be brushed at least 2-3x a week). I used it to get her to stand still for a brushing (front feet up - treat - a few brush strokes - off - treat - repeat). Eventually I added the slide and she learned quick if she shifted away from the brush (no treat), she'd fall off.

I also used it in her trick training. "In the box". I stood the box on its side and did "go through" or "under" (because it is lower then should height).

I always like to know more how-to stuff!
It also helps get nice photos if you can get them to hold a nice stack.

Rather then just making them stand on it,
it give you an idea of how to shape the behavior you're looking for.
Interesting. I have to admit that my hand was getting twitchy wanting to manually place the hind legs. LOL

Just found time to come back & watch the video. Most Excellent!

Interesting. I have to admit that my hand was getting twitchy wanting to manually place the hind legs. LOL
Shaping (they figure it out alone and you just click & treat when they "guess" correctly) takes an enormous amount of patience, but payback is huge. Dobermans I'm sure are easier than lower drive dogs but it's still time consuming and like you said, fingers twitching to do it for them/show them the way. :whistle:

Thanks again @Panama I'll be sure to utilize this in the future.

HI. I just got my 4 month old doberman. I am trying to figure out the best way to train her how to stack. I would like to show her. Is there a website or a place to get a stacking box? Or can I even use something different? What do you recommend? I am also trying to think of a name for her. I narrowed it down to Raven, Gaia or Reiki if you all like one better let me know! Thanks
PS I am in N. Virginia and also going to participate in Schutzhund. Anyone else in N. VA?

Attachments

• deb.jpg
    deb.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 2
  • E.jpg
    E.jpg
    238.1 KB · Views: 2
  • aug4.jpg
    aug4.jpg
    209 KB · Views: 2
HI. I just got my 4 month old doberman. I am trying to figure out the best way to train her how to stack. I would like to show her. Is there a website or a place to get a stacking box? Or can I even use something different? What do you recommend? I am also trying to think of a name for her. I narrowed it down to Raven, Gaia or Reiki if you all like one better let me know! Thanks
PS I am in N. Virginia and also going to participate in Schutzhund. Anyone else in N. VA?
Just type Stacking Box for Show Dogs into your Yahoo or Google search. Everything from stacking blocks to stacking boxes ($65-$375 or better) will come up. That's why I made my own. I made it big enough to accommodate an adult Doberman.

Welcome and congrats on your new pup. She's adorable! You should go to the intro section and start a post so we can properly welcome you.

I don't think it's too hard to make your own stacking box using the instructions above.

Welcome! If you scroll down and explore, there is a whole section on Conformation, and within that, several that you will see with Stacking in the titles. There is also a whole section devoted to Schutzhund & bite sports. Lots to learn by just reading this forum. I can't say enough about how much I've learned here from folks who've "been there, done that". Your girl is looking great! Is she from working lines? Also UDC has several trials for working dogs which also include conformation, so yes, you can do it all!

Back