• Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”

Scared to load up in my SUV

Cranekc35

My boy slipped loading up in my SUV, now he’s scared to get in. How do I fix this? I tried high value treats and that didn’t even work. What do I do? I take him everywhere with me?

Does he have plenty of room by the door he's getting in? I load our dogs in the garage where there's limited space but if they're young or old I'll pull out where they have more room.

If they don't want to get in, I'll give them a head start, whether they want to or not, then boost them the rest of the way. Just try to make the trip fun and rewarding. I know that's not a ton of help when you already tried high value treats but I teach our dogs it's not an option to refuse getting in.

Yes, I would be insisting on loading up regardless, then going somewhere amazing! Hopefully the amazing will delete the loading whoopsie. Such sensitive souls! Jazz flies in if I have her chuckit kit in hand! ;)

Yes, use high value reward for sure, try asking but if that doesn't work go right into a no-options mode. The longer you allow her to practice the bad behavior, the more often she will try it. Not just on the car, but these smart dogs will put 2 & 2 together: "hmmm, the other day I didn't want to get in the car & just refused & I got away with it. Wonder if that would work on ____?"

Does he have plenty of room by the door he's getting in? I load our dogs in the garage where there's limited space but if they're young or old I'll pull out where they have more room.

If they don't want to get in, I'll give them a head start, whether they want to or not, then boost them the rest of the way. Just try to make the trip fun and rewarding. I know that's not a ton of help when you already tried high value treats but I teach our dogs it's not an option to refuse getting in.
Yes, he has plenty of room. I tried again this morning he refused again, but I lifted him up this time and praised him once he was in with high value treats. He seemed to be happy with this accomplishment. Thank you!

Yes, I would be insisting on loading up regardless, then going somewhere amazing! Hopefully the amazing will delete the loading whoopsie. Such sensitive souls! Jazz flies in if I have her chuckit kit in hand! ;)
I never had this problem until he slipped. I’ll keep trying! Thank you!

Yes, use high value reward for sure, try asking but if that doesn't work go right into a no-options mode. The longer you allow her to practice the bad behavior, the more often she will try it. Not just on the car, but these smart dogs will put 2 & 2 together: "hmmm, the other day I didn't want to get in the car & just refused & I got away with it. Wonder if that would work on ____?"
I never looked at it that way. Really good point! Thank you!

My boy slipped loading up in my SUV, now he’s scared to get in. How do I fix this? I tried high value treats and that didn’t even work. What do I do? I take him everywhere with me?

Used to have a really, really big truck that the previous owners had jacked up really high. (not my thing but it was cheap transportation for me at the time so I bought it)

Was not an issue getting up there for my ADULT Dobermans at the time but a few years later when I got a few new pups it was a big ass problem. :(

For a long time had to pick them up to get them inside and then progressed to only having to 'bootie boost' them to help them make the jump. (grabbing the butt and lifting a little as they jumped)

Then one day the one girl took a real jump and freaking sailed into the back seat from a dead stand still next to the open door... He sister saw that and 'tried' to duplicate the move but failed miserably. Actually tried a few times on her own busting her butt each time until I felt sorry for her and gave her the bootie boost to help her inside.

The one pup never had any issues getting inside (making the jump) after that day but the other would stand there and wait for me to 'assist'. For a few months afterwards that one dog would regularly and easily bounce herself on up in there while her sister would patiently wait for the 'help'.

Eventually I figured out that the one girl was not even trying. Why bother if she knows I will 'help her' out?

Once I stopped helping her out and left her at home a few times while me and her sister went out - She started 'trying' again and quickly figured it out.

Used to have a really, really big truck that the previous owners had jacked up really high. (not my thing but it was cheap transportation for me at the time so I bought it)

Was not an issue getting up there for my ADULT Dobermans at the time but a few years later when I got a few new pups it was a big ass problem. :(

For a long time had to pick them up to get them inside and then progressed to only having to 'bootie boost' them to help them make the jump. (grabbing the butt and lifting a little as they jumped)

Then one day the one girl took a real jump and freaking sailed into the back seat from a dead stand still next to the open door... He sister saw that and 'tried' to duplicate the move but failed miserably. Actually tried a few times on her own busting her butt each time until I felt sorry for her and gave her the bootie boost to help her inside.

The one pup never had any issues getting inside (making the jump) after that day but the other would stand there and wait for me to 'assist'. For a few months afterwards that one dog would regularly and easily bounce herself on up in there while her sister would patiently wait for the 'help'.

Eventually I figured out that the one girl was not even trying. Why bother if she knows I will 'help her' out?

Once I stopped helping her out and left her at home a few times while me and her sister went out - She started 'trying' again and quickly figured it out.
I started working with a new trainer right after all of this started happening. My boy was testing us! This breed is so smart! He was only committing when HE wanted to. I had to pick him up to bring him to our first session with the trainer and after our 1 hour drills with him, I opened the car door and he immediately jumped in the vehicle so effortlessly! I said, WTH!? Trainer said, yup, just as I suspected. Testing you. So, I have been using obedience commands when he is resisting to get in the vehicle and he finally commits. Thanks everyone for your help!

I started working with a new trainer right after all of this started happening. My boy was testing us!

Them occasionally 'testing' their owner is fairly common. ESPECIALLY when the owner constantly gives in. :)

Example: Mine are 'accustomed' to getting some extras tossed in with their kibble at meal times. Could be them sharing a can of tuna mixed in or could be a can of green beans mixed in there but a lot of the time something gets added. And then when that one time comes around and nothing but kibble gets put in the bowl and they both flat look at me like I forgot something and then walk away from the bowls.

One time they went a few days in 'protest' over nothing 'extra' being added to the kibble. In the end, They folded before I did and ate their kibble! :)

Glad you got it sorted out! :)

Back