• Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”

Robert Cabral youtube: Teaching come, easy reliable and fast

There are a lot of different ways to teach your dog to come. At the age of ten, our family dog was a runner, taking every opportunity to bolt. One day when she bolted and we kids were chasing after her, I was the only one that kept going, my brothers gave up. She would let you get about ten feet away and then run again. I figured out it had turned into a game. So I started running back home, and she started chasing me. What I learned then has found its way into my core puppy training. I hide from my puppies, taking every opportunity when they aren't paying attention. Does it cause them stress? Yes, probably. But they learn very young that they must pay attention to me and where I am and where I go. It makes teaching recall extremely easy. Recently came across this video, same idea. The title should say 'lose' not 'loose'.

 
When I had Doberman puppies, I'd take them to a beach, park, let them get distracted, call them, then run away from them. You could see them panic, turn around and hustle to catch up to me. Worked like a charm.

Last puppy I got was a GSD, now that was a tough one. He would just sit and watch me, haha. Oskar will be 6 years old this month, I whistle, and no matter where he is, he comes running.
 
Last puppy I got was a GSD, now that was a tough one. He would just sit and watch me
This is why I hide from my puppies, they use their senses - sight, sound, then smell. I try to get them to the nose as quickly as possible. I could never hide from my Newfoundland puppy as she went to nose immediately following each footstep. Other pups would often stop and stand just a few feet away because they were trying to see 👀 me, they had a harder time with me hiding and not moving. They'd often run back and forth in a panic, so I would whistle, they use their ears, and eventually they move to scent to find me.
 

Back
Top