• Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”

Rescue puppy has loose stools....

Get him on the Imodium, too, a.s.a.p. But don't forget to call your vet first to check out what dosage to give him for this weight. That's exactly what was going on with my adopted girl. I'd forgotten until you mentioned the blood in the stool. Hopefully that's just from straining and going all the time and that's all. Until you get in touch with your vet you could try Pedeolite (?).

oh i'm so sorry, i know its frustrating and i really hope you find something what works for your little men.

Hi All,
Axl ate this morning and was outside emptying out everything...called vet but he wasnt' available and was to call me yet to hear back. So went to pharmacy and he looked it up for dosage for immodium. Gave it to him at 8i30am and did not feed him lunch. He needs to relax his intestines. So far he has just got up to pee and drink water. He doesn't seem bothered without the food. Nor does he seem unwell, so I will feed him tonight and give him another dose. Will keep him on this new food for a couple of weeks unless he just keeps up the softies...Hopefully the vet will have some answers. Waiting 2-3 weeks to change foods while he continually has the poops is hard to watch. This poor guy is not putting on any fat whatsoever.
None! Wonder why he is getting grumpy. He is constantly biting his tail. I just have this feeling that this little guy is just not well. The thinness, the poops, the plugged up nasal congestion...I mean its been 5-6 weeks and he is not any better..Lost for ideas and sad for him.
Thx and we'll chat soon.

Does sound like he has a lot of issues, poor little man. i do believe it is all to do with food intolerances. fast that boy for a good 24 hours, water or clear broths{no salt} only. Then just switch him right over to a grain free dog food, no supplements at all and see how it goes.

Hello,
Axl is doing ok at the moment....I stopped into his vet last night and he put him on Tylosin (antibiotic) for 7 days. He said Immodium is only good for 1 or 2 doses, and it can produce crampy/gas, which Axl had by the afternoon. Soooooo, Axl started Gastro by Hill's - vet food just to settle his tummy. This morning he was full of gassy soft poop, hoping that is just remnants from the food from yesterday...If he becomes more settled he will stay on this for 2-3 weeks and then I will do the slow trial move of the grain free. But he needs to settle down his guts....It has just been going on for way too long.
The vet did mention that if he keeps going into my gardens ( which consist of red mulch and pine bark chips), everytime the pup trys to eat this stuff that he can get the poops for like 3 days, then the pups stomach gets upset so he trys to eat lots of grass, and we have a circle of upset continually with no relief. Obviously I am watching him constantly and get the stuff out of his mouth every time, but then he keeps eating the twirly seeds that fly off the Maple tree. But I feel that is when his stomach is the worst....
Well I hope this works and he will get better. THis is so hard when u are working and the dog is continually barking to get outside, u rush thinking its the poops and sometimes it is just to lie down in the sun. Most though to poop. I am so tired. Fingers crossed this works.

I hope this does the trick. I can only imagine how exhausting it must be for you...hang in there. I hope the little guy is feeling better real soon.

Axl had a good day yesterday and is pooping normal...woohoo. Still holding breath...lol. He is once again able to concentrate a little better and is happily chewing toys. Keep u informed.

Hello All.
Just to let u know the puppy is a little more content....It's Thursday night and he is taking a nap. He is eating his new vet food and handling his crate for longer periods during the day without a big fuss. His poops are pretty good and he is not going 20 times a day. He is listening so well its so relaxing for a change. I actually have some time to sit and watch a little tv....lol. Even his nose is not all clogged up as bad as before. ONce again, my fingers are crossed that I haven't spoken too soon and this medicine will help heal whatever was erkking him, and not masking a bigger problem.
As soon as I have more time I will post some pics of him..He is a beautiful boy, just needs a little fat on him. Take care.

Wow, sounds like a big improvement for sure!!!! WooHoo!!! Fingers, toes and eyes crossed that all is well now!!!!

Hello,
It's Monday night and thought I'd let u all know that Axl is doing well. He finishes his medication on Wednesday. His poop is good and he seems like he is feeling better. I weighed him tonight - he is 25 lbs. and 14 weeks old. Does that seem low for weight. I'll have to check his height tomorrow, he's already asleep. He still seems rather thin.
well, that's it for now. Have a good night.

i'm so happy to hear, that he does so much better now and now you will have time to take lots of pic's of him and post them here, hehehehe

I would imagine with all his issues that he would be a little underweight right now, but, I am sure now that his stools have much improved, he will put on weight now!

Hi everyone.
Just an update on Axl. Well, I've tried a lot of things you've suggested...
Bran does not work, I'll tell u that... :(
He's had some up and down days...He's not eating so much crap in the yard lately, that's better.
But, his stool is still soft. Medication, so far is the only thing that keeps his stool firm. I've been doing the Apple Cidar vinegar n the water and both dogs don't seem interesting in drinking it. With the heat we are having here in toronto, they need to be drinking, so I've stopped for now.

I tried the Slippery Elm Bark powder, as it stated it was a Nutritive, as well for colitis, gastritis, removes toxins frm the digestive track, etc. Sounds wonderful, but I gave him half the recommended dose for him mixed in the water and only poured half of that in his food and he had the runs. Poor guy.
So now, I've decided to mix in the FROMM puppy Gold into the vet food and he seemed more content tonight, for a change. I also skipped his walk tonight to just let him hang out and relax. I have been walking them every night, and it has been warm. So tonight we all took a break and he was more content than I thought he'd be.

THursday the vet decided to give him his final shots and he was throwing up for 24 hrs. after. He is very sensitive. Now im reluctant to give him the flea med. on his back as I worry he might react tothat also. I've heard some horror stories with reactions, but we are going up north this coming weekend and he needs protection.

He still is a cutie and getting really long and tall. I will post some pics.

That's it for now. Still hoping for a normal poops. :))

Ciao for now.
Rose

Gosh sure hope you get to the bottom of all this soon, poor little guy!! Looking forward to pictures!!!! Thanks for the update!!

Back