Random Pet Video of the Day - Share yours!

  • Thread starter Thread starter FredC
  • Start date Start date

Haha look at Rubie going side by side with Moose! “Ill show you how its done kiddo.”

I never thought about the training that goes into the weave poles. Must take a bit longer than the other obstacles to learn. Ill have to look into that now that I am curious.

It really depends on the dog and the method of training. I like this method because it teaches your dog to look for different entrances and builds upon their independence from the beginning. Rubie initially learned via a different method but we were struggling in trials so I went back and retaught this method on my own and BADABING now she get's them 90% of the time.

Some people start them 'open' so the dog is running through 3 sets of poles without weaving at all and you gradually close them. There are guide wires, too.

Once Moo gets through all the steps with just the two poles, I introduce a second set about 5 feet ahead of the first set so he's essentially looking then for two entrances. Once he get's that, you line up the 4 poles and go back to the beginning with all the entrance exercises; then add the 3rd set 5 ft ahead of the 4 poles so it's two entrances again, and then put it all together for 6! Once they get the 6, 12 is more of a muscle memory thing so easier to get to. Would love to be able to train him on weaves all by myself!!

A lot of dogs struggle with the teeter because it moves and makes a heck of a noise when it bangs down. Haven't tested Moo on that yet but he's pretty food motivated so hopefully not a huge issue to overcome!
 
As promised!

I actually put some cross bars up last night, maybe only about 12" high, to start getting Moose used to jumping! Rubie jumped in, too, literally. This was definitely weird for Moose as he goes around them a couple of times but he'll get the hang of it.



And picking back up with weave poles! We're using the 2x2 method and just started with refreshing his memory about how to enter them. The mouse pad I put down in the beginning is because we're outside so he needs a target to go to for treats. Weaves poles are all about forward momentum regardless of what I'm doing so throwing the treats out in front is essential. The mouse pad gives me a target to throw to and him a target to run toward.

He's a little rusty on this but he'll catch back up in no time!

Great work! I’m sure you’ve posted this on another thread but do you buy the equipment or make yourself? Please share. I’d love to do something like this.
 
Great work! I’m sure you’ve posted this on another thread but do you buy the equipment or make yourself? Please share. I’d love to do something like this.

I buy it, admittedly, but the jumps are not difficult to make. I'm sure if you google it, you can easily find plans; with and without wings.

The jumps I bought off an Etsy Store. The types of weaves poles I have would be difficult to make at home but I bought a really nice set because Rubie goes through them hard and flimsy ones would've probably been more of a crutch. These are similar to what we see in competition and train with in class.
 
We were talking recently about our dogs licking themselves. A lot of us can't stand the sound! And aside from that, it's not good for them. It can turn into a bad habit . Or even a raw spot . Both of my dogs know when I say, No licking! I mean, stop that right now, dammit! :tap: LOL

I was sitting here this morning when I caught my little Kali licking her front paws and leg. There's no way I would want her to continue that even though I can't hear her like I do with Buddy. She actually licked a raw sspoton her leg a couple of years ago. So I nip it in the bud as soon as I see it happening.

The bang at the end of the video was my husband coming in the door!:facepalm:

 

Back
Top