Questions about removed dew claws

remy

Active Member
Does the hair ever grow back where the dew claws were removed? Remy is 7 months and both areas are still without hair. Not sure if that’s typical as my previous dogs always had their dew claws.

Also, I recently felt the spot on one leg and noticed it has a raised, almost sharp feel to it. I can’t remember if it was like that before or not. I heard that a dew claw can regrow if it wasn’t completely removed. Is that possible? Or could it be just a hard skin growth?

Here’s a picture of it. The upper right is the spot where it is protruding a little. Second photo shows the other leg which feels smooth over where the dew claw was.
 

Attachments

  • 87A1AA73-2DB7-4DA6-A467-65663EE414B7.webp
    87A1AA73-2DB7-4DA6-A467-65663EE414B7.webp
    383.2 KB · Views: 4
  • 06011846-ADB2-499B-9995-55FB3B653D1F.webp
    06011846-ADB2-499B-9995-55FB3B653D1F.webp
    203.1 KB · Views: 4
In my experience, no, the hair won't grow back where dew claws were removed. My dingo is almost 8 and while they're naked and afraid, nothing has grown back!
Good to know! When I tried to look at pictures of other Dobermans, you can’t typically see the spot they were on, so I couldn’t tell if the hair grew back or not.
 
No hair doesn't regrow back. It does look like the nail wasn't 100% removed on the one leg. Revel has that issue too and I have to occasionally Dremel it but not nearly as much as the others...maybe once every other month to flush.

Screenshot_20230819-033333.webp
 
No hair doesn't regrow back. It does look like the nail wasn't 100% removed on the one leg. Revel has that issue too and I have to occasionally Dremel it but not nearly as much as the others...maybe once every other month to flush.

View attachment 137275
Well that’s a little annoying lol, but at least it won’t need as much upkeep as the other nails!
 
Here's Revel's partial dew claw that has been there since I got him. It doesn't grow as fast as his other nails so I only Dremel it flush to his leg maybe once a month or every other month. He doesn't seem to mind and I've never made it bleed.

PXL_20230821_012408305.webp
PXL_20230821_012449946.webpPXL_20230821_012446950.webp
 

Back
Top