Petco to discontinue selling shock collars

...let's just take an example from life in Ojio.

A few of you read of my recent hostilities with the nextdoor neighbor over Oji's barking (which I do control quite well, IMO).

So in the scenario that got the neighbor mad (me taking my daughter for a quick partial loop of our street with the tricycle), I have about three choices for what to do with Oji that will not see him standing there barking nonstop:

1. Leave him in the house alone, which would probably result in scratches on the door, scratches on the floor and possibly pee in the house

2. Put him down in the basement in his crate with muzzle on (muzzle because he's torn his crate up to just about unusable state) (I know)

3. Leave him in the yard with the e-collar on and the silent command issued. Something that Petco says has to "end today."

Yeah, I guess I could take him with us and put him on a "go slow" command which he loosely follows and requires many nagging reminders, hurting our training. Having him on a heel while bending over pushing a tricycle is not a viable option.

But hey. It's got to "end today."

Idiots.

My +R only trainer uses a halti on her dog. Makes me cringe every.time. Just the action of her head when it tightens looks far more dangerous than my prong collar when pressure is put on it.

Granted, she's also a trainer so perhaps has the advanced know-how on proper halti use but regular Joe Schmoe's don't. How is that different than selling an eCollar? I've even been seeing how flexi leads are an advanced training tool. Yes again, they're sold left and right in these pet stores.

I sent a copy of this story to my pal with the Rotts.
He agrees with @Rits @Oh Little Oji and others. Good!
Glad they don’t sell them anymore.
I edited a word in there as this thread is in general public view, lol.
View attachment 112673

B4337F33-CE8C-46B8-B9BE-A89C841F7C72.jpeg

Last edited:
There!
I forgot I have the ability to edit my posts after the fact. :rofl:

And, I think at 51 I may need to get my eyes checked. :whistle:

OK, how about this. I would not be against a basic mandatory training class with the sale of every e collar or prong collar to ensure people know how to use them safely and effectively, if it meant that we were able to buy the tools we need when we need them. It's not our suppliers who are making these decisions, it's the political crew! Makes buying difficult, even online here in Australia and my comment about the out of control dogs REALLY comes down to OWNER training and some basic common sense! :facepalm::censored::facepalm:Jazz was totally miserable every moment she had to wear her halti collar recommended by my previous vet! Yet the prong collar just goes on and causes no distress at all, even on the odd occasion when it needs to be used these days! But try telling that to the uninformed and they just think you are making excuses. :sour:

Bummer. I guess i have no choice but to choose any of the 3 propaganda promoting companies.

Companies should be reminded to shut up and just sell stuff. No one asked for their stance on anything. Lol
AMEN! Reason why none of those award shows are any good...all the actors do is blather their political opinions :finger:

I use the E collar strictly for off leash insurance. Our front yard is way larger than our fenced area in the back, so when we go out to play ball, they go wild when I take the E collar out. Always symbolizes "off leash blasting!" Great insurance against deer, turkeys and squirrels! And I LIKE that they are collar wise, because they don't even give chase to these things with that collar on! They stop and look at me like; "Can I?" Collars on, controller in hand, but I mostly don't even have to use it.6FF4D3B2-7389-4C91-9C24-D657AA10B472.jpeg

I use the E collar strictly for off leash insurance. Our front yard is way larger than our fenced area in the back, so when we go out to play ball, they go wild when I take the E collar out. Always symbolizes "off leash blasting!" Great insurance against deer, turkeys and squirrels! And I LIKE that they are collar wise, because they don't even give chase to these things with that collar on! They stop and look at me like; "Can I?" Collars on, controller in hand, but I mostly don't even have to use it.View attachment 115511
I so agree! And collar wise or not they do get into the habit of self control to a large extent. A stim is so rarely needed that I charge my e collar about once every 2 - 3 weeks, whether it needs it or not! :) Love seeing them at full blast!
Bacall sees the e collar and gets very excited. To her it means either training, swimming or play.
Sort of like giving a credit card and your car keys to a teenager.:spit:
View attachment 115525
View attachment 115526
Bacall is looking fit and well and those are gorgeous pics!

A quality e-collar, in the right hands, with professional instruction, can be an invaluable tool! So maybe it's good they stop selling cheap ones to untrained people?

The old e-collar is absolutely vital in this household. So many uses on Oji. I know that sounds bad, but trust me. I don't know how we would live with this dog without it. You'd have to be here to understand.

Just one example: If I take him to the park with my daughters and me and I tie him out to a tree so I can play on the playset with them, or swing them on the swings, he would non-stop bark without the e-collar. He knows the silent command but will not obey it in a scenario like this without the e-collar.

But for the e-collar, he would be at home in his crate instead of at the park with us.

Back