Pet insurance

MichiH

Hot Topics Subscriber
Do you have pet insurance for you Dobie? If so which company?

I have a 9.5 week old and am thinking it would be a good idea.

Thanks!

I think insurance is a small amount for a bigger picture. I initially had Embrace:
$300 deductible
90% reimbursement
10k coverage

-was well worth it to reimburse a $3k abdominal surgery on my first Doberman.

Then got my second Doberman, put on Embrace insurance also and on the third year they increased the premium. I figured I was ahead secondary to Embrace reimbursed me 90% of the abdominal surgery so I shopped around.

Found MetLife:
$500 deductible
95% reimbursement
$12k coverage
My first Doberman was a no brainer to have insurance on. Not only was he an eater of everything but he was a rough beast that was always Mach1.

My second Doberman is not necessarily a health hazard but she does a lot with me, more than just hanging at the house. We roam woods, she runs FastCAT and CAT races and she also runs 5ks with me so figured to just keep insurance on her. Glad I did…she just got out of the animal hospital- Acute liver injury, cause is still kinda undetermined but in hospital 4 days for total of $3,194.00. So far this premium, I am in $360….$40month since April. So all in all the insurance again will pay for itself when they reimburse me $3k.

So far I have every reason to have it cause it was there when I needed it. One of the attractive catches that I like is that if not used, then the deductible drops $50 a year.

9.5 week old pup…

Make sure she gets all her Parvo and initial vaccines before going out and roaming in the public. A pup getting Parvo can be devastating.

Also, I would ask the vet to split the vaccinations up in multiple visits. The will want to do a 5 in 1 shot or give many vaccinations and rabies shot on one visit.

Don’t let them do it….split those vaccinations up and also separate the rabies shot.

We have insurance that is $104/month for my 5.5 year old Lab and $124/month for my almost 8 year old Dobe. Both have a $250 deductible, 90% reimbursement, up to $7k annually each. Covers wellness (routine) and emergency. We can go to any vet or any emergency vet and our insurance will reimburse us.

Ours also cover BOTH knees and routine/regular teeth cleaning. I think some plans only cover one knee or one knee a year and only dental when there is an issue; not preventative.

If you don't have a huge cash reserve you could spend on an emergency ($5k, I would say?), I would say get insurance. If you have a corporate job, see if they offer discounts.

ALSO there is usually a 30 day grace period with insurance. If you sign up today, it won't be in effect until 30 days later.

I have Embrace and really like it. We always meet the deductible and I do have a higher deductible for lower monthly payments. But, I also do a lot of health testing. It gives a huge peace of mind that any sniffle or limp, I just go to the vet and have them check it out because I know we'll be reimbursed. I also have USAA insurance for house, car, etc. and receive an extra % discount for using Embrace.

I've heard good things about Pets Best but I'd have to read into the plan. It sounds too good to be true.

I just came across this article in Consumer Reports. I should have scanned it but I figured it would come out too big.

CR pet ins pg 1 2023.jpg
CR pet ins pg 2 Dec 2024.jpg

We have Trupanion Ins.

Wouldn't be without Pet Ins.

Yes, it's a peace of mind. But most ins are.

Always read the Exclusions Section of the Ins. companies policy.

I have Embrace with wellness rewards. I just received another $113 refund for the meds and cost of the visit. So far, I'm happy with it. Love the wellness rewards program.

Back