• Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”

Ox and the dog park-not good

Hadn't taken Ox to the dog park in a long time, mainly as I was now paranoid about the "what if". We took him yesterday and about a half hour into our visit, Ox picked a small fight with a great dane puppy. It was more snarling and nipping, but still :( Perhaps he, too, is paranoid from his last "go 'round" and any dog getting too close causes stress. Other than dog park(s), where else is good to socialize/re-socialize him in a controlled environment? We do enjoy our walks, but, the park used to be a good time for both of us. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Other than dog park(s), where else is good to socialize/re-socialize him in a controlled environment? We do enjoy our walks, but, the park used to be a good time for both of us. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

How about inviting a friend and their dog to hang out in your backyard?

Dogs parks are not the place you teach socialization - that is why they are a very questionalbe idea IMHO. They are law suits waiting to happen. Your dog might be socialized correctly and know how to play nice but it only takes one idiot to cause major problems. Then your dog pays the price and it could be the ultimate price. I personally would never put one of my dogs directly in harms way.

If it is a park where everyone knows everyone and everyone is responsible and has well socialized dogs then you might risk it bu the minute a stranger shows up I would load my dogs in the van and I would hang around and observe. My philosphy is not dogs at risk and especially Dobermans because if something happens the entire breed suffers. The dogs are already known for dog on dog aggression.

---------- Post added at 11:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:56 AM ----------

Dogs parks are not the place you teach socialization - that is why they are aat best a very questionable idea IMHO. They are law suits waiting to happen. Your dog might be socialized correctly and know how to play nice, but it only takes one idiot to cause major problems. Then your dog pays the price and it could be the ultimate price. I personally would never put one of my dogs directly in harms way.

If it is a park where everyone knows everyone and everyone is responsible and has well socialized dogs then you might risk it but, the minute a stranger shows up I would load my dogs in the van and I would hang around and observe. My philosophy is no dogs at risk and especially Dobermans because if something happens the entire breed suffers. The dogs are already known for dog on dog aggression.

These are the kind of situations that got BSL started -

Ever consider doggie day care? If you research places in your area, your sure to find one that suits your dog. In my area I take Opie to PetLodges, where they do a socialization test with all the dogs that are in the day care. If a dog misbehaves they take him to a seperate area to relax and try to reintroduce the dog once he is calm. Most day cares only allow a limited amout of dogs, and there is constant supervision by a person (who is trained). Many will allow you to say and observe if you'd like, and some offer doggie cams where you can watch your dog. I find its a good place for Opie to socialize in a controlled environment. Im attaching the link for PetLodges. I realize its not in your area, but it will give you a feel for the environment and you can watch dogs play on the webcam.
HTML:
http://www.petlodges.com/web/

Ox is fine with a furry friend in the yard. Maybe he doesn't like being "over dogged".......maybe he is now leary due to the boxer attacks, which is my guess.

---------- Post added at 07:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:59 PM ----------

Thank you, all for your caring responses. I'm thinking "doggie day camp" for a day or two a week may be the answer for the socialization thing. That dog park is just a problem asking to happen, or has become such

Mine doesn't do well with other dogs because she was bullied daily in her old home by an old crotchetty doberman. So I don't take her to the dog park anymore. Wasn't great the 2 times we went. I have walked her with another dog. She was iffy at first but ok. I asked the groomers how she does there and they said they never have issues unless the other dog gets in her face.

We were hiking on Sunday and met a couple with a lab. Their dog was off-leash what is not allowed in the provincial park.
The lab attacked Gino. My boy was on the leash. Gino fought back. Me and my husband broke the fight. The dog owners didn't bother to hurry up to help us!
I never met such idiots in the dog park for the last 9 years!

That's not solution to bury head in sand. You may meet idiots everywhere.

If your dog fights and doesn't obey you... he is a pack leader. You need to change it. Maybe a personal trainer?

Some dogs just can't do dog parks. Shanoa is no longer a dog park dog. We can do very large off-leash areas (like our 30 acre park) because there's not so much "in your face" dog to dog interaction. But the smaller parks? Not anymore.

Your poor buddy Ox has also realized that you can't always protect him as his pack leader, contributing to his fear. I too would stay away from dog parks, for all the reasons mentioned above, safety, hygiene, bugs and the issue I found with my dog, ground hog holes. The park i took my dobe to had lots of groundhog holes unknown to me until she fell in one while running and to this day she has problems with her leg. Dog parks are not worth the risk. Have you considered the treadmill for Ox?

Like I said, Ox is just fine in our yard with a dog or two......plays, has fun, no "issues". There were no dog park problems until the two boxer attacks (unfixed males). I think keeping Ox out of that place is best for me and beast.

Back