New York State look out!!! Anti-Cropping and Docking Legislation! Please feel free to share

strykerdobe

Hot Topics Subscriber
Well Anti-Cropping and Docking Legislation has begun!!

Share with everyone!

Linda Pancake shared a post.
8 hrs
New York State look out!!! Please feel free to share

Marilyn Almy
December 29, 2019 at 10:52 AM
I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings but this Bill, which is going to be reintroduced to the New York State legislature in January 2020, would prohibit cropping and docking of dogs. You may want to share this information and contact your legislators to voice your opinion on this matter. Their contact information for your area is below. If this passes in New York State, chances are other States will follow.

Number:
NY [R] AB 2764 - Updated (New 01/26/2019)
Title:
Prohibits ear clipping and tail docking of dogs unless deemed medically necessary to protect the life or health of the dog
Sponsor:
Asw. Nathalia Fernandez (D-NY)
Abstract:
Prohibits ear clipping and tail docking of dogs unless deemed medically necessary to protect the life or health of the dog.
REFERRED TO AGRICULTURE - 01/25/2019

Number:
NY [R] SB 4073 - Updated (New 02/27/2019)
Title:
Prohibits ear clipping and tail docking of dogs unless deemed medically necessary to protect the life or health of the dog
Sponsor:
Sen. Alessandra Biaggi (D-NY)
Abstract:
Prohibits ear clipping and tail docking of dogs unless deemed medically necessary to protect the life or health of the dog.
REFERRED TO DOMESTIC ANIMAL WELFARE - 02/27/2019
Notes-2:

Assembly Bill 2764 – This bill would ban ear cropping and tail docking unless it is necessary to protect the life of the dog. The bill would take effect immediately, but would not apply to dogs whose tails were docked before August 1, 2020. This bill is similar to ones that have been introduced in the state for many years and never received a hearing.

There are changes which may bring this legislation to a vote in 2020. #1 The NYS Senate is no longer controlled by Republicans. #2 Legislation for the NYS Senate no longer controlled solely by the Agriculture Committee but now also goes to the new Domestic Animal Welfare Committee. #3 In 2019, the NYS Legislature passed a law that outlawed Declawing of cats. Membership (and contact information) of the relevant committees has been provided for distribution by Sheila Goffe, AKC VP Legislative Affairs. Telephone and email are shown below. Mailing addresses are listed in the attached excel document. Remember that with NYS legislature mail counts more than email and the opinion of constituents from their district outweighs outside opinions.

We need to remember that there are many misunderstandings about these practices, which when done in a humane manner, result in no lasting pain or ill effects for the dogs and often help protect them from injury in the future. Read AKC’s Issue Analysis for more talking points and information on this issue. A companion bill, Senate Bill 4073, is pending in the Senate Domestic Animal Welfare Committee.

Assembly Agriculture Committee (MAIL ADDRESSES IN ATTACHED EXCEL FILE)
(Donna A. Lupardo, Chair (Binghamton) District Office: 607-723-9047 Albany Office: 518-455-5431 Email: [email protected]

Didi Barrett (Poughkeepsie) District Office: 845-454-1703 Albany Office: 518-455-5177 [email protected]

Ken Blankenbush (Carthage) District Office: 315-493-3909 Albany Office: 518-455-5797 Email: [email protected]

Marianne Buttenschon (Utica) District Office: 315-732-1055 Albany Office: 518-455-5454 Email: [email protected]

Clifford W. Crouch (Binghamton) District Office: 607-648-6080 Albany Office: 518-455-5741 Email: [email protected]

Erik Dilan (Brooklyn)
District Office: 718-386-4576 Albany Office: 518-455-5821 Email:
[email protected]

Harvey Epstein (Manhattan) District Office: 212-979-9696 Albany Office: 518-455-5506 Email: [email protected]

Gary D. Finch (Auburn) District Office: 315-255-3045 Albany Office: 518-455-5878 Email: [email protected]

Michael J. Fitzpatrick (Smithtown) District Office: 631-724-2929 Albany Office: 518-455-5021 Email: [email protected]

Aileen M. Gunther (Monticello/Middletown) Monticello District Office: 845-794-5807 Middletown District Office: 845-342-9304 Albany Office: 518-455-5355 Email: [email protected]

Stephen Hawley (Albion) District Office: 585-589-5780 Albany Office: 518-455-3791 Email: [email protected]

Billy Jones (Plattsburgh) District Office: 518-562-1986 Albany Office: 518-455-5943 Email: [email protected]

Barbara Lifton District Office: 607-277-8030 Albany Office: 518-455-5444 Email: [email protected]

Brian D. Miller (New Hartford, Wallkill) New Hartford District Office: 315-736-3879
Wallkill District Office: 845-895-1080 Albany Office: 518-455-5334 Email:
[email protected]

Walter T. Mosley (Brooklyn) District Office: 718-596-0100 Albany Office: 518-455-5325 Email: [email protected]

Jose Rivera (Bronx) District Office: 718-933-2204 Albany Office: 518-455-5414 Email: [email protected]

Linda Rosenthal (Manhattan)- Key sponsor, co-sponsor of majority of bills pending before committee District Office: 212-873-6368 Albany Office: 518-455-5802 Email: [email protected]

Angelo Santabarbara (Amsterdam and Schenectady) Amsterdam District Office: 518-843-0227 Schenectady District Office: 518-382-2941 Albany Office: 518-455-5197 Email: [email protected]

Al Stirpe (North Syracuse) District Office: 315-452-1115 Albany Office: 518-455-4505 Email: [email protected]

Jaime R. Williams (Brooklyn) District Office: 718-252-2124 Albany Office: 518-455-5211 Email: [email protected]

Carrie Woerner (Saratoga Springs) District Office: 518-584-5493 Albany Office: 518-455-5404 Email: [email protected]

Senate Domestic Animal Welfare Committee:
(MAIL ADDRESSES IN ATTACHED EXCEL FILE)
Monica R. Martinez, Chair (Hauppauge) District Office: (631) 360-3356 Albany Office: (518) 455-2950 Email: [email protected]

Joseph P. Addabbo, Jr. (Howard Beach) District Office: (718) 738-1111 Albany Office: (518) 455-2322 Email: [email protected]

Phil Boyle (Bay Shore) District Office: (631) 665-2311 Albany Office: (518) 455-3411 Email: [email protected]

Pete Harckham (Carmel) District Office: (845) 225-3025 Albany Office: (518) 455-2340 Email: [email protected]

Jen Metzger (Middletown) District Office: (845) 344-3311 Albany Office: (518) 455-2400 Email: [email protected]

Zellnor Myrie (Brooklyn) District Office: 718-284-4700 Albany Office: 518-455-2410 Email: [email protected]

James Tedisco (Clifton Park) District Office: 518-885-1829 Albany Office: 518-455-2181 Email: [email protected]

Wonder if Westminster would move the show to another state if that was passed. Lots of breeds that are crop and docked. They could let there voice be heard by moving the event.

Yeah, if I am disallowed from having a Dobe cropped and docked that will probably be my departure from the breed.

This world sucks.

I agree that if this is passed its most likely going to mark the beginning of even more ridiculous bills.

I feel bad saying this to some degree, but when I was looking for my first doberman there was no question that he would be cropped and docked. I just love Jaspers ears. I feel like they tell me a lot about his mood. And who doesn’t love “airplane” ears?! There are so many more reasons I love them but I digress.

I won’t get into my political/personal beliefs about ear cropping and docking. Theres just too much to get into. But this is just silly and has me thinking, “Whats next?”

But this is just silly and has me thinking, “Whats next?”
That's exactly right and it's just letting their foot in the door. Pretty soon it will move on to a lot of the training equipment we humanely use and go on from there.

Pretty disappointing this is now a reality in the US.
I’m actually sort of surprised this legislation came down in NY and not my own home state.
We’re usually the ones breaking new ground on the infringement of rights. :rolleyes:

Wonder if Westminster would move the show to another state if that was passed. Lots of breeds that are crop and docked. They could let there voice be heard by moving the event.
I suspect they won’t do anything.
I hope they do exactly as you suggest though.

Is there a town called Westminster, Texas? :D
They should go there:)

Ear Cropping has always been illegal in New Zealand and as of late 2018 tail docking and dew claw removal is also now illegal. These laws along with MANY others in regards to animals eg: de-horning cattle without analgesia etc were passed at the same time.

I purchased Skye from the same breeder as my last dog. And as a breeder of champions they were very reluctant to breed again because of the tail docking being banned.

The banning of dew claw removal here is absolutely ridiculous in my opinion, I have already had problems with one and it will be removed when she gets spayed.

I am only adding my two cents because I quickly grew to LOVE Skye's tail and I cannot see her without it now. It's part of her being and her personality, and she sports her obvious airplane ears with pride too without them being cropped.
Also because she is/was a nervous little puppy her having a tail makes it so much easier to read her mood. I cannot express how much I love her having her tail now, I absolutely cannot imagine her without it. :biggrin:

I do understand your frustration however, it sounds like you have certain rules about the docking & cropping for showing over there. In NZ you could show with either a docked or un-docked tail before the law was passed. If the bill does get passed over there hopefully they will amend the rules of show too.

Times are changing for sure. :rolleyes:

I agree that if this is passed its most likely going to mark the beginning of even more ridiculous bills.

I feel bad saying this to some degree, but when I was looking for my first doberman there was no question that he would be cropped and docked. I just love Jaspers ears. I feel like they tell me a lot about his mood. And who doesn’t love “airplane” ears?! There are so many more reasons I love them but I digress.

I won’t get into my political/personal beliefs about ear cropping and docking. Theres just too much to get into. But this is just silly and has me thinking, “Whats next?”
I wonder if my lifetime, kennel clubs will be disbanded and outlawed, and with them the registering of purebred dogs. I was going to say intentionally breeding dogs will be outlawed, but there is really no way of stopping that. Larger breeders, however, might be put out of business due to new laws. Just a prediction off the top of my head, as I have heard that it its PETA's mission to eliminate the ownership of animals.

I saved this quote from @Logan 45 because it was spot-on and I'd say it fits here too. :ty:

"But that’s the world we live in now it doesn’t matter if 95% of people are neutral or unbothered by things in this country we have to please the 5% that are super sensitive and will never be pleased by corporate America or the current government officials."

I saved this quote from @Logan 45 because it was spot-on and I'd say it fits here too. :ty:

"But that’s the world we live in now it doesn’t matter if 95% of people are neutral or unbothered by things in this country we have to please the 5% that are super sensitive and will never be pleased by corporate America or the current government officials."
No problem! I think people need to relax I know this might be a little to extensive but most people in America will do cosmetic surgeries to their children without the child’s consent. And these same people will say oh it’s not the same don’t compare those things. The truth is go ahead and ban things and see what happens the criminals and mentally ill will still get guns through illegal means. And by banning cropping you open up the possibility of people trusting backyard vets etc. just my 2 cents.

They want everybody to be equal, no one wins or looses, no scores are kept. The government will take care of you!

No problem! I think people need to relax I know this might be a little to extensive but most people in America will do cosmetic surgeries to their children without the child’s consent. And these same people will say oh it’s not the same don’t compare those things. The truth is go ahead and ban things and see what happens the criminals and mentally ill will still get guns through illegal means. And by banning cropping you open up the possibility of people trusting backyard vets etc. just my 2 cents.
That has already happened here NZ, two people so far I think have been prosecuted for butchering their dogs tails.

They want everybody to be equal, no one wins or looses, no scores are kept. The government will take care of you!
Which is ridiculous those of us who took the time to get educated and make something of ourselves pay for people looking for hand outs from the government.

That has already happened here NZ, two people so far I think have been prosecuted for butchering their dogs tails.
I hope they don’t get crazy about it all over the United States but time will tell. And if it gets to that point I’ll still own Dobermans. Besides not every dog can be cropped my vet looks at the ears before agreeing to crop them. And when people go to low places they won’t consider things of that nature.

This really pisses me off.
Since 1908 when the AKC recognized the Doberman they have been crop and docked.
Going back to Germany in 1890 cropped and docked. For over a 130 years dobermans have been just fine, happy and healthy after being cropped and docked.

These people that claim its cruel and we are maiming our dogs. Are also in favor of universal spay and neutering. Regardless of the health consequences of depriving our dogs of the necessary hormones (testosterone and estrogen) for them to develop properly.
Would anyone suggest there are numerous health benefits to castrating prepubescent boys or performing hysterectomies on prepubescent girls? Of course not.

The AKC & DPC need to fight with every resource any legislation that limits our freedom to crop and dock.
The AKC should move or cancel Westminster and every other AKC event in any place that passes laws that prevent us from keeping the heritage & apearence of the Doberman intact.

MR

Back