Max update

He looks really good.
Be careful with those ears…you are gambling with them being out of post like that.

Some short crops are very easy and harden quickly but the majority of time- Dobermans go through teething from 4months to 6.5months and this is the very testy time of ears standing or not. That’s why we generally post between 4-6months.

If at all or during this time the ears fold or break over, then it sets the ear back weeks and they get weaker and weaker every time failing to stand erect.

Then folks come on here asking “oh my…what happened? How do I get my pups ears to stand?

By that time it becomes a full fledged battle because the ears have gotten considerably weak and the pup is now use to not having post in his ears and shakes head/scratches at posts….

Not placing any judgement on you…just saying be careful, it only takes one or two times for the ear to fold.

He looks really good.
Be careful with those ears…you are gambling with them being out of post like that.

Some short crops are very easy and harden quickly but the majority of time- Dobermans go through teething from 4months to 6.5months and this is the very testy time of ears standing or not. That’s why we generally post between 4-6months.

If at all or during this time the ears fold or break over, then it sets the ear back weeks and they get weaker and weaker every time failing to stand erect.

Then folks come on here asking “oh my…what happened? How do I get my pups ears to stand?

By that time it becomes a full fledged battle because the ears have gotten considerably weak and the pup is now use to not having post in his ears and shakes head/scratches at posts….

Not placing any judgement on you…just saying be careful, it only takes one or two times for the ear to fold.
Problem am facing he is removing the post every time am tapping his ears
Am tapping like twice a day and he is removing them nothing works 😞

He’s at that adorable stage where the head starts looking like a big boy but the body is still puppy cute. Here is Kaiser at 5 months between posting, small body big head lol. By the way, he also has a medium crop like Max, and he was posted through 6 months so you should definitely keep posting.
F7A4BE2F-B65D-481D-8B63-327F2F93F5FF.jpeg

He’s at that adorable stage where the head starts looking like a big boy but the body is still puppy cute. Here is Kaiser at 5 months between posting, small body big head lol. By the way, he also has a medium crop like Max, and he was posted through 6 months so you should definitely keep posting.
View attachment 142311
He is so cute
How do you prevent him from removing the post

He is so cute
How do you prevent him from removing the post
What are you posting with?

I do the tampon method and make the ends smaller by pressing them in and making it not sharp and skinnier. I tape 2 together now using paper tape, skinnier end in her ear. You may need bigger end in his ear.

Then place in the ear while pulling ear up and genelty screw the post into the ear. It’ll bottom out and then tape the top of ear asap with athletic breathable tape. Then I start from bottom with paper tape wrap it inside towards me to outside and keep it going to top. Tape athletic tape at bottom of both.

Maybe that’ll help? Idk but seems to work and stays in, 3 days I change.

A lot of others on here have great info and good ways to make it work too. Good luck!

Great points above @MichiH

With a backer rod, I would shave the bottom point a tad bit and back tape all the way down. Then screw down into the bottom of the ear while pulling the tips high up onto the rod to make sure it was secure in the ear.
Then loosely tape the ear to the backer rod. It should be loosely taped and then grip/squeeze the tape scrunching it to stick on the ear.
Then afterwards when all done, engage your pup with play, tug, ball, a walk, feed….anything to get his attention off the post being stuck in his ears.
It will take days, but with the distractions and backer rod being placed deep/firm into his ear, he will get used to it again and not try to shake/scratch them out.

we did the tampon method (and probably not long enough, but live and learn). I wrapped tape the sticky side out along the tampon from bottom to top, then put it in her ear. After that, I wrapped her ear with the tampon in it with tape the sticky side in, so that on the open side of her ear, tape was sticky side stuck to sticky side. It held quite well! Hopefully this is one more option for you.

Back