• Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”

Lumps and bumps

Haley

Notable member
hi all. Stopping in to see if anyone has seen these lumps or bumps on their dobies and if they have found anything out.

My red dobie Kovu has been going through a rough time. The vet thinks he is auto immune. He was put on atopica because his feet would get massively swollen just from going outside to play. He was given an allergy test which came back fully negative. He’s not allergic to anything.
He was on Apoquel which quit working for him. Home remedy’s helped for a short time but then ultimately stoped helping. He developed gingival hyperplasia as a side effect from the atopica. He’s always limping on his right leg even after the medication and the foot swelling stopped. The vet is unsure what’s causing the limp (he only does it at home, not at the vet).

Now we are getting all kinds of lumps and bumps. He has a bump on top of his head and on his neck. Both the vet thinks are skin tags. (They have grown but are still small and they are hard to the touch).

Tonight i noticed a bump in between his toes (back foot, not the one he limps on) and a lump on his front right arm (this is the leg he limps on). I have attached pics of these two bumps.
He doesn’t act like they bother him at all. No itching or rubbing. He’s been his normal happy self.

Was just stopping in to see if anyone else on here can relate to what’s going on with Kovu and hear their experience. And maybe tell me if these bumps look concerning 🙏🏼

Thank you!

Attachments

• 5CCF7FE8-B84D-4914-AC1F-FF367235AEFD.jpeg
    5CCF7FE8-B84D-4914-AC1F-FF367235AEFD.jpeg
    756.8 KB · Views: 14
  • FE771C67-1940-4548-92A4-BB030915D1EE.jpeg
    FE771C67-1940-4548-92A4-BB030915D1EE.jpeg
    633.8 KB · Views: 14
Sorry I don't have any answer for you about the lumps and bumps. How old is he and how long has this been going on?

Sorry I don't have any answer for you about the lumps and bumps. How old is he and how long has this been going on?
That’s okay, he is 4, will be 5 in June.

All of his issues started sometime around august of last year. The bumps just started popping up within the last month or so.

Hmmmm….
Just started last year.

Vet did a thyroid panel?

Curious, what are you feeding him?
What brands have you tried?
RAW?

Have you always lived at your location?
Recent moves?

Do you use tap water for drinking water?

How often does he go outside?
Does he play hard? Roll in grass/dirt?

No change of laundry detergent?

Hmmmm….
Just started last year.

Vet did a thyroid panel?

Curious, what are you feeding him?
What brands have you tried?
RAW?

Have you always lived at your location?
Recent moves?

Do you use tap water for drinking water?

How often does he go outside?
Does he play hard? Roll in grass/dirt?

No change of laundry detergent?
I believe they did a thyroid panel with the blood test which was done on 4/15/22. Everything came back normal.

Feeding him hydrolyzed pro plan veterinary diets by purina as directed by my vet. We switched him to this food in may of 2022 because he was vomiting a lot. Since the switch he doesn’t vomit anymore. The other brand before this was American journey from chewy. We have not tried raw. I have researched raw and find it intimidating i also don’t live in an area where i can find all the raw foods a dog would need.

We did move in august. And there are slight environmental changes with the move. For example, more grass and the yard is filled with pine needles. We didn’t have pine needles at the last location.

We do use tap water for drinking water

He goes out side as often as he wants. Usually 5-10 times a day (i work from home). And he’s not a rough player.

No changes in laundry detergent.

RAW diets can be intimidating…I have looked into it many times and still have yet to switch. Though not 100% but I believe RAW is a good way to attempt to eliminate diet causing issues. Alot of reputable members here do it and swear by it.

I am not a fan of vets recommendations of food….for some illogical reason, they are usually wrong in my opinion with diet- I know…strong words from a non-veterinarian but my experience.

Moved from country to city?? Can you stop using tap water and use gallon jug water from store? I like to start with things that may seem extremely simple- like city water that may have chlorine or chemicals in it.

Nothing on allergy test as far as environment issues….

Strange that things seemed to happen or escalate after you moved. What is the catalyst, the spark?

Yes, autoimmune…but what is causing autoimmune? Hmmmm….

RAW diets can be intimidating…I have looked into it many times and still have yet to switch. Though not 100% but I believe RAW is a good way to attempt to eliminate diet causing issues. Alot of reputable members here do it and swear by it.

I am not a fan of vets recommendations of food….for some illogical reason, they are usually wrong in my opinion with diet- I know…strong words from a non-veterinarian but my experience.

Moved from country to city?? Can you stop using tap water and use gallon jug water from store? I like to start with things that may seem extremely simple- like city water that may have chlorine or chemicals in it.

Nothing on allergy test as far as environment issues….

Strange that things seemed to happen or escalate after you moved. What is the catalyst, the spark?

Yes, autoimmune…but what is causing autoimmune? Hmmmm….
I moved to a new house in the same town. Only about 5 minutes away so not a huge difference. I will definitely try buying gallons of water from the store and see if that helps.

I’m nervous to change his food again because i don’t want the vomiting to start up again.

And yes so strange the allergy test came bake completely negative.

I’m at a loss and we seem to be at the vet once every three week. I know im not “bothering” the vet but it sure feels like we’re a burden at this point.

Okay….
So just throwing this out there.

When something happens to either of my two I try to figure out how to control what I can control. So with yours:
1. I would switch to a reputable food brand. What is the main ingredient in the vet food? Chicken? Beef? Then I would switch to fish based food- tuna, salmon or whitefish. My Ragnar was started on PPP salmon and rice sensitive stomach formula and did well on that. Right now I have both of mine on FROMMs tuna because I just wanted to change proteins because Freyja seems to be flaking a lot and I know that some Dobermans seem to have issues with chicken. If not fish based then I would look at TOTW bison, duck, venison, rabbit etc…. anything but chicken and see how that goes. If that goes to shat then at least I tried with diets….
2. Water
3. May even try some foot booties for when he goes outside to eliminate any kind of contaminate.

Back in the day my daughter had major stomach issues and would vomit every time she ate….she became a rail skeleton following doctors orders. Not to down doctors, but I took control and took everything away…and put her on an elimination diet. Started with just rice and worked our way up, finally found the major ingredients that caused the issues. I know….not same as your Kovu but kinda same idea. Issue with Tristen was it was more than one thing and and some worked off each other.

I sure hope you figure it out….it has got to be a daily worriesome issue that seems no end.

Okay….
So just throwing this out there.

When something happens to either of my two I try to figure out how to control what I can control. So with yours:
1. I would switch to a reputable food brand. What is the main ingredient in the vet food? Chicken? Beef? Then I would switch to fish based food- tuna, salmon or whitefish. My Ragnar was started on PPP salmon and rice sensitive stomach formula and did well on that. Right now I have both of mine on FROMMs tuna because I just wanted to change proteins because Freyja seems to be flaking a lot and I know that some Dobermans seem to have issues with chicken. If not fish based then I would look at TOTW bison, duck, venison, rabbit etc…. anything but chicken and see how that goes. If that goes to shat then at least I tried with diets….
2. Water
3. May even try some foot booties for when he goes outside to eliminate any kind of contaminate.

Back in the day my daughter had major stomach issues and would vomit every time she ate….she became a rail skeleton following doctors orders. Not to down doctors, but I took control and took everything away…and put her on an elimination diet. Started with just rice and worked our way up, finally found the major ingredients that caused the issues. I know….not same as your Kovu but kinda same idea. Issue with Tristen was it was more than one thing and and some worked off each other.

I sure hope you figure it out….it has got to be a daily worriesome issue that seems no end.
Thank you! His food is actually vegetarian… i chose this one because i also wanted to stay away from chicken and the only other flavor option was salmon which is the flavor he was on with American journey.
I will look into switching.

Also we used to use foot booties, they helped for a bit but he just ended up kicking them off. I tried all kinds of different brands and i even sewed some to his exact foot size. So we tried that route. At least thanks to the atopica the foot swelling is pretty well gone for now. *knock on wood*

and we will definitely do the water switch that one’s easy enough!!

Thank you so much for all your advice!

Have you thought of adding a good probiotic? I know that the gut can play a major role in the body’s immune system.

I know that there is some distaste on here for the vet recommended Purina Probiotic and I agree tbh….Our health/medical guru @strykerdobe recommended this to me years ago and I really like/use it for my Dobermans.

1674671280496.png

I would try washing his feet after he comes in from outside to see if that helps. We have one of these by the door and it is so helpful for the mud.

Dexas MudBuster Portable Dog Paw Washer/ Paw Cleaner, Large, Light Gray https://a.co/d/aPt5Xdq

Almost looks like an ingrown hair but I see partially out of frame his foot looks raw?

Has the vet done a skin scrape or a fine needle aspirate of the bumps?

Have you thought of adding a good probiotic? I know that the gut can play a major role in the body’s immune system.

I know that there is some distaste on here for the vet recommended Purina Probiotic and I agree tbh….Our health/medical guru @strykerdobe recommended this to me years ago and I really like/use it for my Dobermans.

View attachment 131721
He does take the providable supplements which is a probiotic prescribed by the vet. Do you think he would additionally need this? Or maybe this should replace the one the vet prescribed?

I would try washing his feet after he comes in from outside to see if that helps. We have one of these by the door and it is so helpful for the mud.

Dexas MudBuster Portable Dog Paw Washer/ Paw Cleaner, Large, Light Gray https://a.co/d/aPt5Xdq

Almost looks like an ingrown hair but I see partially out of frame his foot looks raw?

Has the vet done a skin scrape or a fine needle aspirate of the bumps?

Hi there, there is snow on the ground here so his feet don’t get very dirty. When they are dirty though we do rinse them off with a paw buddy. It works great. We also do a soak every now and again with iodine which was suggested to me on here a while back. All those seem to help but doesn’t complete fix the issue it seems.

The part of his leg that it’s partially out of the frame is a scar from when his dew claw was removed. That has been there ever since i got him.

She has not done a fine needle test yet. I was just thinking about that the other day and was wondering why she never suggested doing this. Next time we go in I’m definitely going to ask her to do that!!

Hi there, there is snow on the ground here so his feet don’t get very dirty. When they are dirty though we do rinse them off with a paw buddy. It works great. We also do a soak every now and again with iodine which was suggested to me on here a while back. All those seem to help but doesn’t complete fix the issue it seems.
Oh I didn't mean for mud for you but it works great for that too. Mostly suggested it as a general washing his feet to clean off anything you can't see. You would be amazed at the things they pick up on their feet. Any thing he touches outside is carried on his feet and into his skin.

Do you use salt for the snow anywhere he may come in contact? I know some are sensitive to that too.

Good luck with the fine needle. Hopefully you find some answers, I know how frustrating it can feel going to the vet all the time with no answers but you know something isn't right. Currently dealing with that myself and now we are on her third thyroid test and being read by an endocrinologist this time. Third time is the charm, right? 😅

Oh I didn't mean for mud for you but it works great for that too. Mostly suggested it as a general washing his feet to clean off anything you can't see. You would be amazed at the things they pick up on their feet. Any thing he touches outside is carried on his feet and into his skin.

Do you use salt for the snow anywhere he may come in contact? I know some are sensitive to that too.

Good luck with the fine needle. Hopefully you find some answers, I know how frustrating it can feel going to the vet all the time with no answers but you know something isn't right. Currently dealing with that myself and now we are on her third thyroid test and being read by an endocrinologist this time. Third time is the charm, right? 😅
I haven’t had to use salt this year but we do have the paw safe salt. I think you’re right i should rinse them everytime he comes in the house!

I’m sorry you’re also going through that!!! It’s definitely discouraging. I’m at the point that I’m considering taking him to a bigger city close by with more reputable veterinarians or maybe a vet dermatologist (we don’t have one of those here).

Be me??

Yes ma’am. I would cease the vet probiotic and start the Primal Defense.

When I feel like mine need it, I give one little scoop (in jar) in the morn and evening feedings.

His food is actually vegetarian
😦 I know you’re desperate to try to solve this problem, but Ive never heard of a dog doing well on a veg diet. How long has he been on it? If it’s been three months and nothing is better, then it’s safe to cross this off your list and do another food switch. If at all possible, could you put him on a raw diet for at least 3 months to see if that improves the situation? There are premade raw options that you can use. It’s balanced and eliminates the hassle of figuring out and gathering the necessary parts. Start with Primal so you can learn more, then head over to a local pet store that sells raw - pet smart type stores will have very limited options which will be really expensive. Ask them for something similar to primal. There should be enough selection that you can find a price point that works for you.

Another idea. Since you moved homes, maybe the new home has new paint or chemically cleaned carpets? Skin allergies are such a tough one to pinpoint because it could be anything anywhere.

I also agree on giving a probiotic. And yes vets can waste a lot of time and money. Love the idea of taking him to a dermatologist but it’s up to you if you want to try that or a raw diet first. I also highly suggest finding a holistic vet if you can - they are hard to find but well worth it.

😦 I know you’re desperate to try to solve this problem, but Ive never heard of a dog doing well on a veg diet. How long has he been on it? If it’s been three months and nothing is better, then it’s safe to cross this off your list and do another food switch. If at all possible, could you put him on a raw diet for at least 3 months to see if that improves the situation? There are premade raw options that you can use. It’s balanced and eliminates the hassle of figuring out and gathering the necessary parts. Start with Primal so you can learn more, then head over to a local pet store that sells raw - pet smart type stores will have very limited options which will be really expensive. Ask them for something similar to primal. There should be enough selection that you can find a price point that works for you.

Another idea. Since you moved homes, maybe the new home has new paint or chemically cleaned carpets? Skin allergies are such a tough one to pinpoint because it could be anything anywhere.

I also agree on giving a probiotic. And yes vets can waste a lot of time and money. Love the idea of taking him to a dermatologist but it’s up to you if you want to try that or a raw diet first. I also highly suggest finding a holistic vet if you can - they are hard to find but well worth it.
He was put on this food primarily to stop the vomiting. Which has been fixed with this food which is why I’m hesitant to switch. Hes been on it for several months. Thinking either 5 or 6 months and he hasn’t had any vomiting episodes.
He’s got a lot going on 😭
We are in a very small town. We don’t have any pet stores here that sell raw diet foods.
I’m also on a budget. I hate to say that because i want to do everything i can for my boy. All his vet visits have been bleeding me dry. The food we get from the vet is 90% covered by insurance which also plays a part in not wanting to switch on top of the vomiting issue being resolved with it. Wonder if changing flavors with the same food would make any difference??

If i can find a holistic vet i would be more than happy to take him there. Just need to find one relatively close.

I didn’t think about carpets. Where we lived before we didn’t have carpet and the new house is all carpet. The carpet needs replaced regardless so this could push me to get that done.

Thank you so much for your advice i really appreciate everyone in this group, it’s been a great outlet for me when I’ve been in need. ❤️

The food we get from the vet is 90% covered by insurance which also plays a part in not wanting to switch on top of the vomiting issue being resolved with it.
Vegetarian diets are not good for dogs since they're carnivores. If your insurance covers the food you get from the vet, I would at least try Hill's i/d prescription diet since there is some meat in it and it's made for sensitive stomach. I'm not a Hill's fan but it's better than no meat at all.

Vegetarian diets are not good for dogs since they're carnivores. If your insurance covers the food you get from the vet, I would at least try Hill's i/d prescription diet since there is some meat in it and it's made for sensitive stomach. I'm not a Hill's fan but it's better than no meat at all.
I was under the impression that the “vegetarian formula” was just a flavor. That it still has all the proper nutrients in it. I don’t know why my vet would suggest something that isn’t good for him. Sigh. ☹️

Back