• Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”

IKEA Recalls Lurving Water Dispenser After Two Dogs Die

strykerdobe

Hot Topics Subscriber

IKEA is recalling a water dispenser that was part of their popular Lurvig pet product line, saying there are concerns of suffocation for dogs.

Lori Ennis July 18, 2018 Photos by: ALEX_UGALEK/Shutterstock
IKEA-water-dispenser-recall-feature.jpg

IKEA is recalling a water dispenser that was part of their popular Lurvig pet product line, saying there are concerns of suffocation for dogs.
IKEA introduced the popular Lurvig Pet Product line last fall, and IKEA customers clamored over the unique and modern pet offerings. Part of the line was a water dispenser, and IKEA is now urging all customers to stop letting their dogs use the water dispenser immediately and to return the dispenser to any IKEA store.
A cult-classic retailer, the Swedish company immediately issued a recall after there were two separate reports of dogs dying from suffocation after they got their heads stuck in the dispenser. The dispenser has two parts.

The bottom part is the water bowl and the base for the domed container that dispenses the water and attaches to the base. The reports do not indicate where the dogs lived, but IKEA decided to issue a global recall and to no longer carry the product in their company catalog after learning the dogs died.
Petra Axdorff is with IKEA of Sweden and said that because the safety and security of their products has always been their most important priority, they are recalling the dispenser. She went on to say that IKEA is heartbroken about the deaths of the dogs, as IKEA knows that pets are important and loved family members.

Lori Ennis

Lori Ennis is a wife, mama and friend to all animals. A self-confessed ‘hot mess,’ she lives in Florida where her Marine husband is stationed, along with her goofy Golden Retriever, Dixie, and a plethora of saltwater fish. Lori and her husband have fostered Golden Retrievers for years, and know no home is complete without an animal buddy!
More by Lori Ennis

How in the world?! I looked up images and wow. I don't even see how that's possible. How crazy. We used to use something similar many years ago ... Until the husky decided it would be fun to dig the water out of the bowl, all 2 or 3 gallons of it.

I have never understood this type of water bowl. They are just gross to me. I just wash and fill water bowls regularly and it works just fine. I can't begin to imagine what the water and bowl is like by the time you get the reservoir empty. :sick:
Rumor's water bowl is as gross as I ever want to get. Not sure how she does the drinking thing but the water is thick when she gets finished drinking. :scratch: YUCK! I have to wash her bowl a couple of times a day.

The slime is unreal. My two will drink from the bowl at the same time and when they stop drinking it looks like snot water. Very gross!

Water dispensers like that are good if you have 2-3+ dog household and work away from home. You'll know for sure your dogs will always have water. They drink it fast enough that it gets cleaned daily... I used to have a stainless steel version so it wouldn't harbor bacteria.

After looking at the product images, I can't imagine these were big dogs that got their noses stuck. A bit overkill of a system for a little dog, to be honest. It'd take forever for the dog to drink all of that water.

if there is back wash in it.
If someone drinks out of my glass then it’s theirs!! The thought of back wash makes me gag!!!
My hubs always says, I only took a sip, I respond with get a glass and pour some in it, don’t drink from my glass. It’s the same with tasting something that is cooking. DON’T put the spoon back into the food after it’s been in your mouth unless it’s on your own plate. That drives me crazy!!

If someone drinks out of my glass then it’s theirs!! The thought of back wash makes me gag!!!
My hubs always says, I only took a sip, I respond with get a glass and pour some in it, don’t drink from my glass. It’s the same with tasting something that is cooking. DON’T put the spoon back into the food after it’s been in your mouth unless it’s on your own plate. That drives me crazy!!

Oh God. I've had so many people tell me I'm "mean" because I don't share. Haha. Certain people can share my drink - like the kids. But most people? Nuh uh.

I do the spoon thing though :bag: but I rinse it off after I taste before using it again unless I'm the only one eating it.

Ugh sharing drinks and cutlery with humans is just NO. I've found Kaiser hair in my food and I have come to be less repulsed by that lol. Wow, the tide is really turning :spit:

Btw, am I the only one who didn't know ikea sells pet stuff? I will have to check it out.

Don't you two French Kiss? LOL! :p:p:p:p:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I used to have a stainless steel version so it wouldn't harbor bacteria.

Always studies going on about possible contamination especially since the super bug. They have now discovered that stainless steel is not as effective sanitizing as once thought. So I won't be leaving it sit around full of backwash, the risk is just too high for me.

I think thats the thing though, with 3 big dogs, i had to clean and refill ours multiple times a day. For just one dog or small dogs, i could see bacteria being a concern.

Always studies going on about possible contamination especially since the super bug. They have now discovered that stainless steel is not as effective sanitizing as once thought. So I won't be leaving it sit around full of backwash, the risk is just too high for me.
Yeah, like Regalis said, it didn't really sit around much longer than your typical water dish. Stainless steel is much easier to clean and sanitize than porous plastic, is what I meant.

I use stainless steel bowls as well. Two of them actually. Yeah, and you will be surprised how many times I go in there and it's all yucky and full of sand and grass. :wtf3: I agree they're much easier to clean, lightweight and for the most part don't harbor bacteria. Especially if you're cleaning it as much as we do.

Btw, am I the only one who didn't know ikea sells pet stuff? I will have to check it out.
Nope...I had no clue either but I do not search sites for things very often.

If my twins had a choice they prefer to drink water from a bottle as that is what they are used to on our hikes, biking and swimming journeys. Also at home they have the rock fountain that they LOVE to drink from while running around outside playing.

Back