• Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”

How short?

Man, our dogs nails grow like wildfire;especially Della's. I swear I look at them the day after a trim and I'd think they hadn't been done for a month.... They get lots of exercise too, but i suppose living in the country the only concrete they see is on our sidewalks, so they just don't wear down at all...

As short as I can get them! Shanoa's are probably almost conformation short; both front and back are the same length. She doesn't make any clicking sounds on the floor. Her nails are pretty soft and easy to Dremel. I can get all four feet done in less than 10 minutes. And, we're finally to the point where she will just lie down and let me do them - hooray! Simon's are currently as short as I can get them, which is a bit longer than Shanoa's nails. His were pretty long and neglected when he came into rescue and he's VERY sensitive about having his feet touched. He consents, reluctantly, to having them done now. His nails are a lot harder than Shanoa's and they take longer to work on. His quicks are still pretty long, too. His are still short enough that they don't click on the floor much, though. I Dremel once a week.

We also Dremel here. Both the dogs lay on their backs between my legs and I use this time like I would when grooming a horse. Feel all over the body for anything out of the ordinary, especially with Java since she had a Stage II mast cell tumor back when she was 3 and it can easily come back. I keep mine short enough where they do not touch the pavement when standing still. They fluctuate between pretty short to short depending on activity. I don't obsess over it too much as long as they aren't touching the pavement/ground. I do believe the nails help a good deal in traction and turning, kinda like spikes on soccer or football cleats. However, I do not think I'd ever be able to get them as short as that...I think a lot of it helps if the breeder keeps them short as a puppy and the owner follows up. I do think that it looks nice on the doberman with short nails and a tight paw and helps the overall picture of a clean look. :)

Okay, it's tough to get her to stand still!

Not the best background here and her foot is at an odd angle:

DSCF2457.JPG

Here you can see how they look when she's standing normally:

DSCF2463.JPG

And this is actually a comparison of her versus Simon. The front leg is Shanoa's foot, the back leg is actually Simon who is standing right near her. You can see his are quite a bit longer, but still not too bad. They don't touch the ground when he's standing.

DSCF2462.JPG

Oh wow, you've done an excellent job getting Simon's down considering how long they were when you first got him. :thumbsup:

I've seen Shanoa's in person and they are just perfect. If you remember, I even told hubby "see, this is how they should look"... :D

Oh wow, you've done an excellent job getting Simon's down considering how long they were when you first got him. :thumbsup:

I've seen Shanoa's in person and they are just perfect. If you remember, I even told hubby "see, this is how they should look"... :D

Thanks! Simon's are definitely much better. I honestly don't know if I can get them much shorter. His quicks don't recede very well. Thanks for the compliment on Shanoa's nails. I'm kind of picky when it comes to nails, as you know!

Axl acts like u are trying to dip his foot in acid if I get out the pettipaws..lol. I just use nail clippers and now he's allowing me to hand file them after I clip them.

And yes the vein will retract, but only if u clip them and then the dog is wearing down the nail when walking. U have to get pretty close to the vein every time and it will move back away from the end of the nail.
Axl's nails are not anywhere near your picture. Only once when he was a pup and he got away from me when spooked ...he ran all the way home like lightning and ground his back nails right past the quicks and was bleeding. When they healed and he happened to be going to the vet..the vet said they were too short..lol..so I told him why. They actually looked similar to your photo..he said u have to watch how short u make nails on this breed...why?..I dont remember.
All I know is when they are long they become rakes in the yard picking up clumps of grass and mud and bringing them into the house...ugh!

Silence's nails are rather short and easy to upkeep. I Dremel them standing up and came up with a good system. If anyone is intersted I can post a how-to video if it makes it easier for anyone.

I kept them long for his trial as he's a reckless guy and will slip easily turning and trying to launch on soft grass. They were not super long, but long for him. I can grind them down to almost nibs. Luckily, he has soft nails so it's easy. Storm, my female, has hard LONG nails. Been trying to get them down when I think of it. But, she's like an old lady, only 5 years old, and stays in her bed all day. My best reminder is the clicking on the tile, lol.

Axl acts like u are trying to dip his foot in acid if I get out the pettipaws..lol. I just use nail clippers and now he's allowing me to hand file them after I clip them.

And yes the vein will retract, but only if u clip them and then the dog is wearing down the nail when walking. U have to get pretty close to the vein every time and it will move back away from the end of the nail.
Axl's nails are not anywhere near your picture. Only once when he was a pup and he got away from me when spooked ...he ran all the way home like lightning and ground his back nails right past the quicks and was bleeding. When they healed and he happened to be going to the vet..the vet said they were too short..lol..so I told him why. They actually looked similar to your photo..he said u have to watch how short u make nails on this breed...why?..I dont remember.
All I know is when they are long they become rakes in the yard picking up clumps of grass and mud and bringing them into the house...ugh!
I can't see how the nails can be too short, unless they bleed. Maybe he got it wrong and meant they can't be too long as some dogs get flat pawed from having nails that are too long. Breeds with cat paws need to be kept shorter than breeds with rabbit paws as they are more upright and the nail hits the ground quicker.

As for doing them often, I do them every Friday. Just did them, actually. That's what prompted me to start this thread. I had nails on the brain.

I've found some dogs nails grow faster than others. I have to do Coopers at least every 5 days to keep them down. I asked Coopers granny about it and she said Coopers mother is the same way, she has to have her nails done more often. I have a reminder in Outlook that tells me when it's time to do nails.

They do grow fast, they are so darn thick and dark.
I am lucky with Schaudeh hers are white and a little
thinner so it is easier, but they still grow fast.

I have a hard time getting his nails short in the front. They grow so fast and the quicks just dont seem to be retracting. His front middle nails get so long and pretty much every time I clip them he bleeds...and thats just the tips. I just bought that new hand file and I am trying to get him used to that now. Im hoping slowly with that light type of vibration I can move to a dremel. But he just wants nothing to do with the Petipaw electric..geez its like u have a bumble bee in your hand.
Hoping next year when he is two and a bit come summer I will start biking him and that will help them file down.

Back