Halo Collar

Katyusharocket

Notable member
I have been considering Halo collars for Katyusha and Z-pup, when she is old enough. They seem really slick, you can make a gps fence anywhere you go for your dog. Go camping? You can make fence lines at your campsite.
They're expensive, $600 and a subscription at $10 ish per month. But I can't build a lot of fence for my yard for $1200, and I can't take my yard fence with me if we travel.

Has anyone here tried them? At that price, I would love to have trusted, doberman-specific feedback about how happy anyone was with one.

I personally want a physical barrier to keep other animals out and I will just use an e-collar for other stuff. I also don't want a monthly fee.

I personally want a physical barrier to keep other animals out and I will just use an e-collar for other stuff. I also don't want a monthly fee.
You do make good points. As for now, we live in town in a city lot, so maybe a 50 by 65 foot back yard, all I need is for them to have boundaries while supervised on short trips out for potty time. The only animals in the middle of the city to keep out are rabbits and squirrels, and I do wonder if the dogs would ignore the stay home stimulations if that were to come in to play. That's our biggest gamble. Pretty safe bet that nothing predatory for my dogs will make it this far into town (other than people, and I suspect those people will have their own fears). I realize your situation has much more devastating wildlife to your dogs' well being than we would encounter here (Hello Mr. Bear). As for a monthly fee, I spend 10 bucks a month on sillier stuff, TBH.

Not to be contrary, but I am not ruling Halo collars out as a decent ingredient for our particular recipe here. But, I don't have to decide today. I should have some time on this, at least till Z-pup is 5 months old, the youngest recommended age from the collar manufacturer. If I do decide this is right for us, I will happily report our pilot project back to DCF, with good, Dobie specific experience.

I personally wouldn't see a need for it unless I wasn't supervising my dog. The only time here they are unsupervised now is for a short period (<5 minutes) in the fenced in yard to potty. When we travel, they potty on leash. For me, this would be an extra expensive e-collar with a subscription fee. :D

Have you heard of the GPS Tractive? I use it for Draco, it allows you to set virtual fences anywhere you go, and it's only 50€ I believe? With an anual fee of 60€, but you can also pay it monthly.
It works wonderfull for us, but it's got it's limitations tho.
You must have access to internet, and have your bluetooth and location on.
So far so good for us!

Have you heard of the GPS Tractive? I use it for Draco, it allows you to set virtual fences anywhere you go, and it's only 50€ I believe? With an anual fee of 60€, but you can also pay it monthly.
So far so good for us!
I have not heard of this, but I am happy to! Especially from the Off Leash Queen of Europe! :thumbsup: I will look into it! i think the Halo subscription is mostly for tracking your dog's physiology like heartrate, etc., on a normal day out. If it gets abnormal, the collar can give you tracking infono matter where.
But...
We had nice developments today. Early this morning my training partner talked me into just strapping Katy's e-collar on, and letting her in the yard, physical restraint free. It did actually work. Verbal recall was 100%. it was quite a relieving day for us both. Halo may not be needed after all, thanks to our training partner's observations.
however... if we need further tools, I will look into GPS Tractive, for sure before dumping $600 each on Halo.

Thanks @DracoDobie !

The only time here they are unsupervised now is for a short period (<5 minutes) in the fenced in yard to potty.
Two differences between us. My dogs are never unsupervised outside, although 3 of them can tend to divide my supervision quite efficiently :rofl:

And... it sounds like your yard is fenced in? Mine isn't. It could be fenced in for a cost+labor, and that is where I need to weigh in the price of "tech tools" vs. physical tools like more fencing.

Neither is wrong, it's just a matter of ironing out what will work for our circumstances as they seem different than yours?

And... it sounds like your yard is fenced in?
I just have a small area fenced in for pottying. The rest of the 2.5 acres isn't and for that I use the ecollar and I'm already out there anyways! If you don't have a potty area fenced in I could see this being useful, but if you are out there anyways... I honestly would just stick with an ecollar. Same thing without the extra cost and subscription fee.

I have not heard of this, but I am happy to! Especially from the Off Leash Queen of Europe! :thumbsup: I will look into it! i think the Halo subscription is mostly for tracking your dog's physiology like heartrate, etc., on a normal day out. If it gets abnormal, the collar can give you tracking infono matter where.
But...
We had nice developments today. Early this morning my training partner talked me into just strapping Katy's e-collar on, and letting her in the yard, physical restraint free. It did actually work. Verbal recall was 100%. it was quite a relieving day for us both. Halo may not be needed after all, thanks to our training partner's observations.
however... if we need further tools, I will look into GPS Tractive, for sure before dumping $600 each on Halo.

Thanks @DracoDobie !
Omg Off Leash Queen of Europe I LOVE IT! 🩷

Tractive has some features like tracking your dog's activity troughout the day. It also tracks your dog's sleeping habits. I think if you use it frecuently, like everyday, it'll also advise you if your dogs activity or sleeping habits are off.

You can also warn other dog owners about dangers, placing an alert on the map.

Plus it has a monthly worldwide activity rank! With four categories:
•Worldwide
•Breed
•Local
•Friends
I'm proud to say Draco is number 3 on Local and 160 in breed! Plus his activity levels are 90% higher than average for his breed and age, big psycho.
:spit:

It's all for funs tho haha, but yeah I would heavily rely on the ecollar too, it's just so safe and keeps your mind at peace.

yard is fenced in? Mine isn't. It could be fenced in for a cost+labor, and that is where I need to weigh in the price of "tech tools" vs. physical tools like more fencing.
Fencing is the very best peace of mind you can buy. Even if it's a smallish pen off the back door so you can open the door to let them out early morning or a midnight urgency without having to go with them. E-collar would be my next choice but with multiple dogs and again - and what about dark? And you can't see what neighbor dog might be walking by or if a rabbit was nearby? In order, my choice would be
1.Fenced yard
2. Smaller fenced potty area, preferably around the back door so you don't have to walk them to it.
3. Always out the door with e-collar and/or supervision (PITA)
4. Electronic/Invisible Fence - works to keep one in but nothing can be kept out.

but yeah I would heavily rely on the ecollar too, it's just so safe and keeps your mind at peace.
Roughly 9 days on, Katyusha has not used a physical restraint outside in my yard at home! Only the e-collar. She saw a squirrel, went to chase it, and stopped and returned on verbal command. I have started to ask her if she wants to do a "perimeter check" first out in the morning and last time out at night, and she walks around the front of the house with me, not getting far ahead of me, and sniffing about a little to see what had gone through the yard in between checks. I am glad we tried this, she is really shining. I still have to be out with her, but I was when she used the cable anyway, for fear of her getting tangled. Just the practice has been great for our teamwork. She was out briefly today at lunch without her e-collar and still was on point.
Please overlook my truck and trailer loaded up for city-wide cleanup day:bag:
20240415_123127.jpg

Roughly 9 days on, Katyusha has not used a physical restraint outside in my yard at home! Only the e-collar. She saw a squirrel, went to chase it, and stopped and returned on verbal command. I have started to ask her if she wants to do a "perimeter check" first out in the morning and last time out at night, and she walks around the front of the house with me, not getting far ahead of me, and sniffing about a little to see what had gone through the yard in between checks. I am glad we tried this, she is really shining. I still have to be out with her, but I was when she used the cable anyway, for fear of her getting tangled. Just the practice has been great for our teamwork. She was out briefly today at lunch without her e-collar and still was on point.
Please overlook my truck and trailer loaded up for city-wide cleanup day:bag:
View attachment 145606
Yayyyyy good job!!! What a smart girlie!

So far so good for us!
I’m looking to get this for the gps purpose and the fence also for summer trips. We have a few trips coming up and I want to make sure Pepper is tracked. Her recall is not bad, but she’s still a pup. I’ll have her leashed with me the whole time, but being by a massive Forrest on our soon trip worries me. I have two teen boys who are great with her and a husband, but they aren’t as aware at times like if she decides to make a break. Not her style,but you never know new environment and first big vacation for her.

You like it and it works well?

Edit: it’s on sale for 34.99 on their website 4 day delivery too!

We have a few trips coming up and I want to make sure Pepper is tracked. Her recall is not bad, but she’s still a pup. I’ll have her leashed with me the whole time, but being by a massive Forrest on our soon trip worries me.
It never hurts to have something for backup since you never know when they can slip the collar and take off.

It never hurts to have something for backup since you never know when they can slip the collar and take off.
And I didn’t start e collar yet I need to take a class on it. I just don’t feel l comfortable using it yet.
I’ll be with her for the most part unless I go to the store or something, but yes agree, need back up.
Plus we will have her crate so she will use that for down time and naps.
Just ordered the tractive as we go away in a week.

I’m looking to get this for the gps purpose and the fence also for summer trips. We have a few trips coming up and I want to make sure Pepper is tracked. Her recall is not bad, but she’s still a pup. I’ll have her leashed with me the whole time, but being by a massive Forrest on our soon trip worries me. I have two teen boys who are great with her and a husband, but they aren’t as aware at times like if she decides to make a break. Not her style,but you never know new environment and first big vacation for her.

You like it and it works well?

Edit: it’s on sale for 34.99 on their website 4 day delivery too!
It works really well, the only downside to it is you must have signal on your phone in order for it to work.

I've never had a problem with it, and the live feature works really really well.
I use it as back up, in case Draco decides to ditch me for whatever he may be interested in lol.

Back