• Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”

Freyja with bloody diarrhea x 8days

She was whipping Rags arse
It's like children when they're sick. You want to :rp:when they're fighting and making a ruckus. But when they're quiet and sick 🤧 🤒 you wish they were back to making that Ruckus again.😟

Glad to hear she's up to her old tricks! ❤️

She was whipping Rags arse yesterday so I think so. Seeing one more legit poop pile would put us in the clear I believe.

Since we have been feeding the low fat GI tract wet food, I’ve noticed her back/skin is back to flaking real bad. This morn I started re-intro of the tuna/whitefish half with the wet GI food.
Will be interesting to see how she tolerates the fish oil now. Fingers crossed.

Will be interesting to see how she tolerates the fish oil now. Fingers crossed.
Yes…

Started transitioning her back (half cup) to the trout/whitefish because her coat started flaking on the low fat Royal Canin.

I noticed after one meal she was burping, stomach rolling and after second meal she was shaking as in pain. Next day she vomited after first meal… it absolutely kills me to see her like this. Poor thing. Gave her the last Cerenia for vomiting/nausea and she settled down.

Went back and bought 6 more cans of Royal Canin low fat and continued on with this. Solid poop today with no vomit or shaking. I guess she is not ready to come off the low fat food. Still kicking Ragnar’s arse though.

Definitely do not want to continue on with Royal Canin- only good thing about it is low fat otherwise I am not encouraged by the other ingredients and the $$$$.

Researched DogFoodAdvisor and found Eagle Pack reduced fat. It appears to be one of the better low fat foods. Will probably order this and see how it goes.

More research tells me that it may be weeks/months for Freyja to overcome this bout of pancreatitis…some say there’s a chance of no full recovery. I tend to think Dobermans are very resilient and just need to care for it appropriately.

If interested:
FROMM trout/whitefish
Protein- 27% min
Fat- 16% min
Fiber- 6% max
Moisture- 10% max

Royal Canin GI low fat:
Protein- 20% min
Fat- 5.5%% min- 8.5% max
Fiber- 3.9% max
Moisture- 10% max

Eagle Pack reduced fat
Protein- 24% min
Fat- 6% min- 9% max
Fiber- 4% max
Moisture- 10% max

I am no animal dietician expert but I think Eagle Pack may be a decent recovery food and DogFoodAdvisor gives it 4.5/5 stars.

Thoughts??

@Ddski5

Interesting read I found.

Home Remedies to Naturally Treat Bloody Diarrhea in Dogs and Cats​

Tips For Dogs With Sensitive Gut Health​

Last edited:
@strykerdobe
Hoping you would reply.

Thank you.

Somethings the article below mentioned.
Would choose a food that has the lowest Fat content. Canned food is easily digestible than Kibble. Smaller frequent warm (mix in warm water) meals during the day.

@Ddski5

Some other ideas. Also mentions a couple of probiotics in the article.

Dr. Judy Morgan, DVM

Not leaving pets on Low Fat diet over a very long time.

Yes…

Started transitioning her back (half cup) to the trout/whitefish because her coat started flaking on the low fat Royal Canin.

I noticed after one meal she was burping, stomach rolling and after second meal she was shaking as in pain. Next day she vomited after first meal… it absolutely kills me to see her like this. Poor thing. Gave her the last Cerenia for vomiting/nausea and she settled down.

Went back and bought 6 more cans of Royal Canin low fat and continued on with this. Solid poop today with no vomit or shaking. I guess she is not ready to come off the low fat food. Still kicking Ragnar’s arse though.

Definitely do not want to continue on with Royal Canin- only good thing about it is low fat otherwise I am not encouraged by the other ingredients and the $$$$.

Researched DogFoodAdvisor and found Eagle Pack reduced fat. It appears to be one of the better low fat foods. Will probably order this and see how it goes.

More research tells me that it may be weeks/months for Freyja to overcome this bout of pancreatitis…some say there’s a chance of no full recovery. I tend to think Dobermans are very resilient and just need to care for it appropriately.

If interested:
FROMM trout/whitefish
Protein- 27% min
Fat- 16% min
Fiber- 6% max
Moisture- 10% max

Royal Canin GI low fat:
Protein- 20% min
Fat- 5.5%% min- 8.5% max
Fiber- 3.9% max
Moisture- 10% max

Eagle Pack reduced fat
Protein- 24% min
Fat- 6% min- 9% max
Fiber- 4% max
Moisture- 10% max

I am no animal dietician expert but I think Eagle Pack may be a decent recovery food and DogFoodAdvisor gives it 4.5/5 stars.

Thoughts??
Yep. For humans, pancreatitis can be very painful. The whole system can go into spasms. Personally, I would avoid the fish at all for a long while. I wonder if there have been any studies on mercury levels in dogs who have the daily diets that include fish? (Just thinking aloud.) Very glad to hear that he got better so quickly.

I noticed after one meal she was burping, stomach rolling and after second meal she was shaking as in pain. Next day she vomited after first meal… it absolutely kills me to see her like this. Poor thing
Well that's very distressing! I've never dealt with this so I'm no help to you. Just feeling the emotions! It's just amazing that she would react like that after just two meals. I guess it's going to be a slow process. I'm so sorry you're going through this and no fault of your own! Just a stupid thing that happened with the neighbor. Who would have thought?

You know, I seem to recall my mother's tiny toy poodle being diagnosed with pancreatitis but I don't remember her dog being that sick. I didn't know much about it then and she was living with my sister so I didn't have firsthand information on what was actually happening. The only thing I remember is the doctor saying it came from feeding the dog table scraps that were not good for a dog. I can't even remember what food, but I know my mom was terrible about giving the dog almost anything.🤷‍♀️

I think Eagle Pack may be a decent recovery food and DogFoodAdvisor gives it 4.5/5 stars.

Thoughts??
That's what Albert's breeder wanted him on when he came home (for Pano prevention) and he did okay on it. I later switched to Fromm since it had similar ingredients and our feed store carries it where they didn't Eagle Pack.

Sending more prayers your way for a continued and speedy recovery.

Really hoping you have the worst of this behind you and are on the downhill on the way back to 100% good health. Your dog is definitely lucky to have an owner like you that pays such attention to detail and works as hard as you do. :)

:)

Thank you….

Changed over from wet Royal Canin low fat to the dry kibble Eagle Pack food today. Freyja seems okay as of 4hrs past.

Gonna stay course with this and figure out to add extra protein and fat toppers- maybe some Greek yogurt?

In the past I have noted that Ragnar’s poop can be a shade of clay gray which when seen is quite puzzling….gray poop?? Really? Research tells me that clay gray poop means his system is having some difficulty with breaking down fats- so in all actuality, the food may be beneficial for Ragnar also.

We will see….I am starting both on the new Eagle Pack and will gradually introduce Greek yogurt. Yes they both get a quality probiotic.

I sure am glad the DogFood Advisor gives it 4.5 stars. That is something I definitely don’t want to worry about.

Ugggg….

So my youngest had her first college game yesterday that I went to watch. So I gave instructions to my oldest to feed the monsters at noon. She got the food mixed up and fed Freyja, Ragnar’s food. Tbh, I did not think it was that horrible because Freyja has been pooping good solids for three days now. But man… a fiasco was incoming.

Woke up this morning and Freyja had a good solid poop and then I fed her the new Eagle Pack low fat dog food. (She has been doing good with this for last two days.) 15 mins after feeding her she vomits and then has at least 8 bouts of mucous diarrhea. Then throws up again with more mucous diarrhea. Then about 5 bouts of bloody diarrhea. Had to give her some CBD oil and a Cerenia and she is finally calming down.

So the way I figure it. The good bowel movement this morn was in her GI tract, then the wrong food sat behind the good bowel movement and irritated/aggravated/mutilated her GI tract causing an protective mucous reaction. What is left is a tore up GI tract that is raw and bloody. Frickity Frack.

Well damn….thought I had it under control. Not fully sure if the Eagle Pack is a factor with this but I think the accidental feeding of Ragnar’s food is a definite.

Gonna have to go StrykerDobe on her again.

@strykerdobe
Along with the Answers Goat Milk, should I give my probiotic also?

Canned pumpkin?

Less food switching or less sudden changes in the food switching?
Yes.
You are correct. Prob rushed it a bit, I thought we had it licked.

But gonna start from the beginning and take it slow and steady now.

I really didn’t want to post this latest episode- redundant and embarrassingly idiotic but figured if somebody else had these issues and searched….it may help them with their issues.

Yikes. What a scary sight! I wonder if you should fast her for 1 day so her GI tract can calm down. Maybe just give bone broth so she gets some nutrients in liquid form instead of solids. I have also given plain rice boiled in broth. That way the rice is mushy and floating in the broth, but that could be something you give on day 2.

I really didn’t want to post this latest episode- redundant and embarrassingly idiotic but figured if somebody else had these issues and searched….it may help them with their issues.
Nothing to be embarrassed about! It happens. Just this morning I fed Kaiser and 5 minutes later my hb sends me a text saying he already fed Kaiser. Oops. Oh well. Back to Freyja, the Eagle Pack seems fairly similar to Royal Canin GI, so you may as well give it a go on day 4. For day 3, you could add in some boiled chicken to see if she is tolerating solid food before reintroducing kibble. When you do give the kibble, I'd give really small amounts that have been presoaked.

I wonder if you should fast her for 1 day so her GI tract can calm down. Maybe just give bone broth so she gets some nutrients in liquid form instead of solids. I have also given plain rice boiled in broth.
Agree!

Anytime Asha has had loose stools or puking this is what I do. Thankfully I can still count on one hand the number of times in over 3 years, but I immediately withhold food and she has homemade bone broth (always in the freezer) and white rice and sometimes a bit of boiled chicken (also packages always in the freezer).

@Ddski5 I'll be keeping you & Freyja in my thoughts for complete recovery & solutions to this problem. :paw:

Ugggg….

So my youngest had her first college game yesterday that I went to watch. So I gave instructions to my oldest to feed the monsters at noon. She got the food mixed up and fed Freyja, Ragnar’s food. Tbh, I did not think it was that horrible because Freyja has been pooping good solids for three days now. But man… a fiasco was incoming.

Woke up this morning and Freyja had a good solid poop and then I fed her the new Eagle Pack low fat dog food. (She has been doing good with this for last two days.) 15 mins after feeding her she vomits and then has at least 8 bouts of mucous diarrhea. Then throws up again with more mucous diarrhea. Then about 5 bouts of bloody diarrhea. Had to give her some CBD oil and a Cerenia and she is finally calming down.

So the way I figure it. The good bowel movement this morn was in her GI tract, then the wrong food sat behind the good bowel movement and irritated/aggravated/mutilated her GI tract causing an protective mucous reaction. What is left is a tore up GI tract that is raw and bloody. Frickity Frack.

Well damn….thought I had it under control. Not fully sure if the Eagle Pack is a factor with this but I think the accidental feeding of Ragnar’s food is a definite.

Gonna have to go StrykerDobe on her again.

@strykerdobe
Along with the Answers Goat Milk, should I give my probiotic also?

Sorry to hear that.
Yes, I would also give the probiotics.

Back